Books, Etc. About Hockey

Ross Bernstein was on my local morning show today, author of The Code: The Unwritten Rules Of Fighting And Retaliation In The Nhl. Seems like a cool book with the foreword by Marty McSorley.He also has a book about Herb Brooks that they talked about.Link to all books by him: http://www.amazon.com/s/002-0932172-018481...oss%20BernsteinInteresting side note: the author said he tried to walk on Uni of Minn's hockey team, but didn't make it. Instead, he became their mascot.Any other good books, videos, etc about hockey?

When I was a kid I somehow ended up with an old hockey history book by Foster Hewitt. I don't even remember if it was a good read or not, or even the title, but I wish I could find it. Thinking back, it would be a cool thing to have now. Anyone else know the book I'm talking about?

i read a book a few years ago about ex boston college player Travis Roy who was paralysed on his first ever shift after 11 seconds. it was actually pretty sad and inspirational, and certainly worth a read
He played for Boston University not Boston College.
When I was a kid I somehow ended up with an old hockey history book by Foster Hewitt. I don't even remember if it was a good read or not, or even the title, but I wish I could find it. Thinking back, it would be a cool thing to have now. Anyone else know the book I'm talking about?
Very cool old hockey book from around the 1930's or 40's called 'Down the Ice' by Foster Hewitt...
Very cool old hockey book from around the 1930's or 40's called 'Down the Ice' by Foster Hewitt...
That's the one. I think it was a first edition, got it from my grandfather. It might even be still kicking around here somewhere. Don't worry though, I won't bid on the ebay one (assuming you were serious).
Gee, thanks DIGITAL DONKEY!!! I'M the one who bid on it.... I was trying to keep it on the downlow
LOL...I'm the one selling it.Not really, but THAT would be funny.
LOL...I'm the one selling it.Not really, but THAT would be funny.
Yeah, that WOULD be funny.... lol ANYWAY.... Hockey books..... where to start...For great reading, anything by Roy Macgregor, especially 'Fathers Sons and Hockey'.... For any parent who wants to get their kid into hockey, "Whose Puck Is It Anyway'. Absolutely mandatory reading.. For a sense of what it was like in the NHL before the players got rich, 'Net Worth'. For an overview with lots of rhetoric, "The Game" by DrydenFor the chance to be the guy who can answer any trivia question, "The Official Guide and Record Book 2006-07 Version" There are tons more, but most are player and team specific...
Yeah, that WOULD be funny.... lol ANYWAY.... Hockey books..... where to start...For great reading, anything by Roy Macgregor, especially 'Fathers Sons and Hockey'.... For any parent who wants to get their kid into hockey, "Whose Puck Is It Anyway'. Absolutely mandatory reading.. For a sense of what it was like in the NHL before the players got rich, 'Net Worth'. For an overview with lots of rhetoric, "The Game" by DrydenFor the chance to be the guy who can answer any trivia question, "The Official Guide and Record Book 2006-07 Version" There are tons more, but most are player and team specific...
Chris, ever been approached by or approach a player about helping to write their biography?
Chris, ever been approached by or approach a player about helping to write their biography?
I've talked about it over beers a couple of times with different guys... it's definately a project for the future, and there is a guy who I think would make a great topic for a bio... but that's a long way away... would definately be interesting though..
I've talked about it over beers a couple of times with different guys... it's definately a project for the future, and there is a guy who I think would make a great topic for a bio... but that's a long way away... would definately be interesting though..
A long shot, but it wouldn't be Shanahan would it?BTW...you ever cross paths with Kevin Gibson? He has a new book coming out in time for Christmas called "Three People Who Have Never Been In My Kitchen." My name will appear in the Thank You's. :club:

I was looking at The Rookie today. A Hockey News reporter followed Crosby around all last season and wrote a book about it. I can't comment on the writing, but more photos would have been nice.There is a nice close up of Crosby and his bee-stung lips if you're into that kind of thing. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

• 3 years later...

Anyone interested in starting a book exchange of some sort. For instance, I read a hockey related book and then mail it to someone else. Someone else mails a book to me...etc etc etc....and so on and so on....I think it would be interesting...and a good way to read some decent books.Anyway, just an idea.

Ok this one may take a while, but I'm bored so here we go.Current reading is Pelle Lindbergh: Behind the White Mask. So far it's been a pretty good read.Rest of the list of what I've read/own.Theo Fleury Playing With Fire- Great read if you get the chance. It maybe 300+ pages but you want to keep reading it because it is that interesting.Gretzky's Tears- Kind of disappointing, had a lot I didn't know and a lot I did. Got mad at the end of the book where it sounds like Stephen Brunt the author turns it into a "Bash sun belt hockey teams"Jacques Plante The Man Who Changed the Face of Hockey- Really fascinating look at Plante, as he was what you consider the first goaltender who was really meant to be a goaltending coach. He was always thinking about the game. Odd man. Makes me want to buy his book "On Goaltending" off eBay.King of Russia- Book about Dave King's first year with Magnitogorsk of the then Russian Super League. Amazing read one of my favorite hockey books.Jean Beliveau My Life in Hockey- Terrific read as Jean is one of the better guys in the game. Really makes you understand the Canadiens of that time period.Best Of the Original Six- It's a Brian McFarlane book which has some great little stories about players and teams. Good read for picking up little bits and pieces.The Boys of Winter- Book about the 1980 Miracle on Ice team. Profiles all of the guys while still telling the story at the same time. Great read if you want to know more about the guys on this team.Pavel Bure The Riddle of the Russian Rocket- Looks at how Bure became the player he was, book was written early as Pavel was still in Florida when released. Has a great part with Brian Burke driving around with Pavel.The Game of Our Lives- Look at a season with the Edmonton Oilers. Kind of a harder read. Still interesting to read about how crazy the early Oilers were.In the Crease- Another one of my favorites and it's from Dick Irvin Jr. Simple premise have goaltenders talk about themselves and see where it goes. Starts with Gump Worsley, Johnny Bower, and Glenn Hall and moves up into the mid 90's. Gotta grab this one of eBay.Searching for Bobby Orr- This one explains a lot about why Bobby is the person he is today. He was a small town boy that wanted to be nothing more than a private small town boy, even in Boston. The Best of it Happened in Hockey- Brian McFarlane again with some quirky stories about the NHL. Has some good odd info.Between the Lines: Not-So-Tall tales from Ray "Scampy" Scapinello's Four Decades in the NHL- Fun look at how things worked for Ray in his career. My best was that he used to trade his Linesman jerseys for just about anything. Golf Clubs and stuff.The Rangers- This is one part of Brian McFarlane's Original Six part which I mentioned above. Just has some more stories.In The Bin- Stories from Lloyd Freeberg sitting in the penalty box in Anaheim. Has some fun stories and such, who's nice and who's a complete *******.Phil Esposito: Thunder and Lightning- Love this book as Esposito is so up front about everything. Talks about hockey his affairs and how everything went south in New York and in Tampa Bay. Fun read Espo had some screws loose. Triple Crown: The Marcel Dionne Story- Totally did not realize this book existed until it was mentioned because Glenn Frey of the Eagles was a huge Kings fan back then and a picture surfaced of him playing with Marcel. Interesting book, really shows you why the Kings were a **** up in the 70's and 80'sSlap Shot Original- Dave Hanson's story of how minor league hockey was in the 70's, and how much fun the filming of Slap Shot was.Blood Feud- Story of the Avs and Wings rivalry of the 90's. Really fun book to read as Adrian Dater does a great job of explaining how much everyone hated each other. From the players on the ice to the media guys of both cities. Great Steve Yzerman part in this book. Really explains why he's such a great person.Gabby: Confessions of a Hockey Lifer- This book made me more annoyed than anything else to see how stupid the Kings management was when Bruce was the head coach for the Manchester Monarchs. Great read as well, learn about how he was supposed to be on the plane that was crashed into the WTC.Hockeywood- Book about the Kings run to the Stanley Cup Final. Really kind of boring, basically became a book of reading 100+ game reports.Bob Miller's Tales From the Los Angeles Kings- Great book to read some of the odder moments in Kings hockey. Streakers on the ice, Chickens thrown on to the ice, Holding a scouting session for the draft in Jerry Buss' bedroom, and the night Bob Miller's ass blew out in Boston.Gretzky to Lemieux: The Story of the 1987 Canada Cup, this one was sure interesting considering that it explained Gretzky's assist on Mario's first. Lot of other good tidbits.The Rebel League- Great look at how crazy the WHA was. God reading that book will make you laugh a lot.Home Ice- Book from Jack Falla about creating the rink outdoors at his house. Fun book about what it means to be a hockey guy.Open Ice- Jack Falla considered this not really a sequel and it's not but it's more of how Hockey fans appreciate every little thing in life. When he decided to quit Fantasy Hockey when he was sitting in the Sistine Chapel thinking about Trading Alex Frolov instead of realizing he's in the Sistine Chapel. Skating the Rideau Canal, Going to the grave site of George Vezina. Really a good read because it explains why you're a hockey fan.The Game- What else can be said about this masterpiece from Ken Dryden.That's all for now. www.HockeyBookReviews.com check there from more from Joe Pelletier

Theo Fleury Playing With Fire- Great read if you get the chance. It maybe 300+ pages but you want to keep reading it because it is that interesting.King of Russia- Book about Dave King's first year with Magnitogorsk of the then Russian Super League. Amazing read one of my favorite hockey books.Jean Beliveau My Life in Hockey- Terrific read as Jean is one of the better guys in the game. Really makes you understand the Canadiens of that time period.Between the Lines: Not-So-Tall tales from Ray "Scampy" Scapinello's Four Decades in the NHL- Fun look at how things worked for Ray in his career. My best was that he used to trade his Linesman jerseys for just about anything. Golf Clubs and stuff.The Game- What else can be said about this masterpiece from Ken Dryden.
These books have all been placed on hold at my local library. Thanks so much!Ha, I'm 48th on the list for Fleury's...

I always like Rereading King of Russia. Dave King's insight is very interesting to me, and how he likes to coach and some of the stuff he experienced in that league. Completely different compared to the North America.

Bumping this up, Joe Pelletier put up some early books from the 2010 book season.The Greatest Game, the Canadiens, the Red Army and the Night that Saved HockeyBook written by Todd Denault who wrote the Jacques Plante book I just finished reading, he put a lot of research into the Plante novel so I assume he'd do the same.100 Things Flyers fans should know or Do before they die.Eddie Shore and that old-time-hockeyThe Night I (almost) Killed Two GretzkysFrom Duthie, gotta imagine this one is gonna be funny.For moreJoe Pelletier's Hockey Book Reviews!