ESPN show 'Tilt'....

Ok...I'll say it...THIS LOOKS LAME.This is the true testiment as to how popular poker has become....lame TV shows are coming....SigggghhhhhhhhhPut a camera on a big money live game, televise it on the "Poker Channel" and be done with it...Instant success.

Cygnus I dunno why you're saying its lame, I love the NFL and I enjoyed Playmakers. I love poker and I enjoyed Rounders. I don't see how this will be any different, ofcourse they'll blow things out of proportion, it will be made for TV, because it is. It's gonna be pretty fun to watch I think, for most of us that play all the time there will be things we all laugh at, knowing some people will view poker players that way. But for me, its something else exciting for me to watch, and short of actually following around a few poker pro's (which has already been made into a movie) I really think that following a few make believe pro's and watching there lives away from the table will be fun. We can also watch for the cameos! Daniel and T.J are in the first episode walking from the craps table I believe.

Well I have to say that while I'm definitely going to be watching the show, the first preview is a bit, uhm, I dunno, near lame. There is an older gentlemen and he says "we're going to hurt him, in a cash game" I mean uhh who talks like that? :shock:

Well, I haven't seen any of the previews or commercials for it, but I would have to say that like any show on tv, I'm sure it will be blown out of proportion, exaggerated, and so on. TV ratings just wouldn't be very good for a mundane show about real life. As someone mentioned, I like football and really enjoyed Playmakers, even though it was so obviously out of wack with real life.

Yeah, Tek hit it right on the head.From what they have shown, it looks pretty bad."The Matador"? Siggggh Let me guess, he takes on all bulls? So original.If anything, the show will encourage people to act like kids and jump over tables after a loss.

We will all have our reservations about the show.. and I don't disagree with anything y'all said... there gonna show people losing there tempers and fighting all that annoying stuff we have to sit through during the WSOP, I just hope they have a couple even mannered people.. I think the star of the show, that young kid will be the even tempered one... atleast I hope. But regardless of what we say... we are all gonna be watching it January 13th :D

I'm just afraid that this show is going to perpetuate all the negative steriotypes that poker is trying to get away from. If it's done wrong, a show like this could really do a lot of damage to the game at this critical time in poker's development. From what I've seen on the previews, they are already pretty far down the wrong path.I thought Rounders did a good job of showing both positive and negative things about poker but, I remember thinking after the first time I watched it (when I'd never played poker before) that poker was just gambling and there are a lot of unsavory people that play.

One, anything that convinces the average 22 year old frat boy that he play poker for a living if he just plays at high enough limits is a good thing for me. I hope it has lots of characters that don't spend time studying the game but who are "naturals". I probably make more money from people who suck who have been afflicted with "Ungar Syndrome" than anyone else.Two:we're going to hurt him, in a cash game" I mean uhh who talks like that? Lots of people. There are a lot of sucessfull tournament players who are terrible at NL cash games.Three, Carlos Mortenson is nicknamed "The Matador," so it's not that crazy to think it's an unlikely nickname for a poker player. Four, IT'S FICTION. Real life, real time NL is BORING to the vast majority of people. While there might be 100,000 people who'd watch a real time NL cash game for five hours (like me) most people won't. If you want to watch a real life NL cash game, log on to UB sometime when Layne Flack is pissing away $80,000 at the $25/$50 NL tables when he's drunk.

I'll check this show out, I'll watch anything poker on TV, besides Celebrity Poker Show on BRAVO, it was okay for the first season then it got boring... I'm kinda looking forward to checking this new show out, I'm with Jayson I like football and I liked playmakers

I think the show will be top quality from what I saw, but I'm also a little worried that they will spend too much time focusing on cheating. Im actuall surprised that ESPN would allow that as it could hurt the legitimacy of the WSOP if people buy into the idea that "everyone must be cheating." Could be bad, but we shall see...

I'm actually getting more excited as the show approaches, and I am warming up to the preview that ESPN shows every hour. I am a bit concerned how it's going to be portrayed as Daniel mentioned.It's going to be good for poker I believe, but with any show, such as the football series they had last year, it will focus on things that make the show interesting. Thus we have an entertaining form of media, otherwise nobody would watch it. Let's face it, TV is all about ratings.I'm cautious about it in one respect, but very excited in another.... time shall see.... until the 13th....

One, anything that convinces the average 22 year old frat boy that he play poker for a living if he just plays at high enough limits is a good thing for me.Smasharoothanks for the stereotype of fraternities, as with that comment you evidently don't know anything about them.

Yes, the show looks a bit cheeseball. It's most likely lame because ninety percent of tv shows suck period. However, it does have Michael Madsen in it, who happens to be the world's coolest guy since Steve Mcqueen died. He'd look cool getting a library card. Hopefully he's in it for more than an episode. So, maybe the show will be o.k. Joe"Flop sets" :D

The first time I saw the trailor the first thing I thought was Uh Oh. It definitely has a high CHEESE factor rating, but of course like everyone else I'll be watching on the 13th. And I'm willing to bet that Carlos Mortenson is named The Matador because he hails from Spain. But I defintely agree with drafman Michael Madsen = The Man.

I think the previews make it look compelety lame, but I would love to see a really well written poker sitcom that was written by a player, not some writer that only sat at a table for research. If the people that write for Tilt are actual players....well, lets just say it doesn't look like it, looks like instead of the creators of rounders they are the creators of Shade.

Smasharoothanks for the stereotype of fraternities, as with that comment you evidently don't know anything about them.What?You're right, they're well known places of high learning and discipline and generate great poker player regularly.WTF?

Smasharoothanks for the stereotype of fraternities, as with that comment you evidently don't know anything about them.What?You're right, they're well known places of high learning and discipline and generate great poker player regularly.WTF?
If you really want to get into the debate of fraternities i will gladly do that, as for the average fraternity member being an above average poker player, doubtful but that goes for the rest of society also.