Chans 87-89 Main Event Run

To answer the OPs original question ... people don't talk about Chan's ME feat that much because it happened before most of us were into poker. Harrington and Raymer were post Moneymaker events. Kind of like why I can't argue about Babe Ruth's hitting or Jim Thorpe's running, etc.

He also won, what was at the time, the Tournament of Champions, both years he won the Main Events. Just sick.Well this is why people say Johhny Chan is one of the best...He hasn't done too much in the last 4 years or so, but because of his Main Event winnings he is still considered one of the best. When was the last time you saw Chan take down a big tourney, besides that one bracelet for #10?
how often does any major pro actually take down a tourney, the fields are so big that a top pro can easily go years without actually winning a big event. He also won superstars 2.and anyone that hasnt heard norman chad talk about chan's 1-1-2 finish as one of top accomplishments in world series history either has never watched the WSOP or is just stupid.Oh, and harrington making 4 ME final tables over 3 decades including 2 in the modern era and 1 victory is the best ME accomplishment ever.
You're an idiot, if you read my post I have never heard it mentioned at the greatest. It is always mentioned, but people fawn over Raymer, because of the field size, and Matusow. Maybe uts because chan is boring.
who are these people exactly? the infamous "they" perhaps? The voices in your head dont constitute others just as an FYI.and what is matusow's supposed accomplishment? making one final table? that wouldnt be in the conversation even.everyone puts Chan on top or near the top....you can make a case for harrington too I think. no controversy here. great thread.

I think that Cunningham's success at the WSOP should be one of the biggest feats. Not the top one, but it should be up there.Last year he won the player of the year and took home a bracelet. This year he took home another bracelet, was almost the player of the year, and came in fourth place in the main event. I do agree that Chan's 1/1/2 is the greatest accomplishment, but what has he done since then at the WSOP-one bracelet in a field that was nothing compared to the size that Allen played through.

who are these people exactly? the infamous "they" perhaps? The voices in your head dont constitute others just as an FYI.and what is matusow's supposed accomplishment? making one final table? that wouldnt be in the conversation even.everyone puts Chan on top or near the top....you can make a case for harrington too I think. no controversy here. great thread.
matusow made 2 final tables in the past 5 years and had another deep run in 2004 before taking a 3 outer on the river to bust. He also has back to back 1st and 3rds in the TOC.
so did phil hellmuth..TEN, count em TEN world series of poker holdem bracelets
madsen's 4 final tables and 2 bracelets this year in 3 differnet games is arguably more impressive then ivey's 3 bracelets. Same with cunningham making either 4 or 5 final tables last year
madsen's 4 final tables and 2 bracelets this year in 3 differnet games is arguably more impressive then ivey's 3 bracelets. Same with cunningham making either 4 or 5 final tables last year
QFTplus, cunningham had 4 FTs last year in 4 different events.. LO8, PLO, PLH and NLH, plus he had a bracelet again this year.. lets not also get away frm chris fergusons run since 2000...

If you are talking Main Event results, then yes you are right. Chans 3 year run is the greatest accomplishment ever. However, the greatest accomplishment for the whole series would have to be Phil Hellmuth in 2003. He won 3 bracelets and took 2nd in another event. Also, in 2001 he won a bracelet, got 2nd, 6th, and 9th. Then capped off the Series by finishing 5th in the Main Event. Had his 9s held up against Gordon's 6's he would in all likelihood finished 1st or 2nd. Both amazing and unparalled results

Phil Ivey won 3 bracelets in one year...Just saying.
so did phil hellmuth..TEN, count em TEN world series of poker holdem bracelets
Ted Forrest also won 3 bracelets in a year, which was actually the same year Hellmuth did.
If you are talking Main Event results, then yes you are right. Chans 3 year run is the greatest accomplishment ever. However, the greatest accomplishment for the whole series would have to be Phil Hellmuth in 2003. He won 3 bracelets and took 2nd in another event. Also, in 2001 he won a bracelet, got 2nd, 6th, and 9th. Then capped off the Series by finishing 5th in the Main Event. Had his 9s held up against Gordon's 6's he would in all likelihood finished 1st or 2nd. Both amazing and unparalled results
phil hellmuth is the best non-holdem player int he world!or not..can he even play other games? lol
phil hellmuth is the best non-holdem player int he world!or not..can he even play other games? lol
He made the final table of the PLO event last year. I think Ivey or Cunningham won it.
He made the final table of the PLO event last year. I think Ivey or Cunningham won it.
i know, its just funny that he has 10 braclets and not one is in anything butholdem..