I Need Your Input

One hazard of online playing , especially if you are moving to a new city , is a healthy social life.This is one thing I would do different in my poker quest. When I decided that poker was going to be my job I moved to Vegas. As others suggested, I found I made much more money online than live. I played less and less live and soon found I was playing exclusively online. With this my social life suffered as it was hard to meet new people.If you do move to a new city and start playing mostly online I would suggest make it part of your routine to do social activities like going to a gym joining some kind of club or get a dog and walk him in the park every day. As you can see I feel exercise is very important as well LOL.Anyhow, I feel you already did the most important first step , and that was ask others for advice. I hope you ask your real life friends and family as well.Good luck,Gunn

I would echo the guy who said to hump some Starbucks job or other PT job as well just in case and you only have to do it a couple of days a week or so to make some bill payments and the like. Phil Ivey always said the best job he had was telemarketing because if he had some swings in AC or whatever it was a very flexible job where he could basically work when he wanted/needed to. Smart guy that Ivey.

Six grand just doesn't sound like enough to get this thing kick started, but, others have proven it's possible with less.The one real issue you face and should be prepared to handle is the life style of a professional gambler. It has ruined many, many people. The temptations are legion, and can be ruinious or even deadly.You need to have a talk with yourself and get squared away. You need to know and understand who you are, what you want, and who you want to be. Then, keep a constant vigil to make sure you don't do anything to take you off that path. Playing poker is the avenue, not the destination.People do NOT want you to succeed. They want you to fail so they can feel better about themselves. They will be trying to drag you into their misery.Keep your head on straight, and don't get sucked into a lifestyle that doesn't benefit you.

"Independent contractor of internet-based business."Damn, I should add that to my resume.
Very nice ! That is some professional bs.........and I mean that as a compliment. I am definitely coming to you for help writing a resume the next time I need one.

OP, good luck on your venture. I'm more than a little envious, both of the skillset that will (hopefully !) make this successful for you and the freedom/lack of other responsibilities to move to a new area and take this chance. I hope you do well. Even if you just have fun in AC for a year and only make enough to scrape by and just pay expenses.....what a fun opportunity. Ten years from now, you'll probably have a mortgage and a family, enjoy taking some risks now. Just amke sure you have health insurance and make sure you do not go into debt with this. Have FUN !!!!!!!

if you are going to play mostly online, you must take total advantage of rakeback and bonuses. the best place is world poker exchange if you can play limit holdem well. you will make about $300 3 tabling 5-10 limit holdem for 8 hours just in rakeback! if you don't play there you must play for bonuses whenever possible. rakeback is nice, but bonuses will make you more money. never play at a site if you are not being paid to play there. good luck man. i'll be taking my shot in december.

You'll have to explaim your gap in employment eventually and the last thing you want to do is tell them you spent it gambling. They will want to know what you've been doing and how you've kept up with changing markets while youweren;t involved in them for a few years.

Having a gap in employment while attending school full-time is not a major concern for employers.If it were ever even questioned, all he needs to say is he worked a few jobs during school and put enough money into savings to quit and focus on school. That's an honest answer that puts him in a positive light.
In other words lie. Many employers have a problem with that.Ask yourself a question: Why isn't a regular job right for you? Many of the same qualities that make someone successful in a "real" job, are prerequisites for being successful in other endeavors. If you couldn't be successful working in a career for which you were prepared in school - how are you planning on being successful as a professional gambler?