4 Iron From 160?

distance is relative if you are a PRO and can hit each iron about equal but for regular players that play bogey golf....long irons are VERY hard to hit...and hitting it with a 4 iron to a 7 iron is a BIG difference...yes within 60 yards is very important but if you have a good iron game you wouldnt be chipping within 60 yards as much..you would be putting...
being a pro has nothing to do with it. i cannot speak about bogey golf and how it is played however i was once there. i am currently a USGA 0 handicap and i play with some guys who hit it 30 yards past me and but have 0 short game i agree 100 percent that the golf score is made or lost around/on the green...for me hitting a 4 iron is like hitting a 7 iron there is no big difference, same swing same tempo in fact i love...LOVE my long irons i feel i have an advantage over most of the guys i play with do the the fact that i actually like to hit 3-5 irons...im 22 years of age, i work at a golf course and get to play anytime i want and for free so i play 4 rounds a week minimum as for the guy saying 10-18 putts per 9 holes is good or ideal..i laff,you never want to have a 2 putt average on 9 or 18 holes..13-14 is ideal 12-13 is good

Total putts per round is a hard thing to try to get exact. For a good player who is hitting lots of greens in regulation (say 14 or 15), 28 to 30 putts is pretty good, because when you are hitting many greens in regulation, generally you are not going to have a bunch within 10 feet in order to make many. If you are not hitting many greens in regulation your putts should go down becuase you will be chipping more thus have closer putts, if you have a good short game.But in general what I am saying is the # of putts per round is not a good indicator of good or bad golf.I often as a pro shoot the exact same score having 34 putts as I do when I have 26 putts, the difference being how many greens in regulation that I hit.Getting up and down when missing the greens with a good short game and many 2 putts when I am hitting a lot of greens.Putting is a huge variable day to day in golf. In general ALL players good or bad should work to have less than 36 putts every round and if your constantly at or above that number you need to work on putting. On the PGA tour they often track number of putts but it is only counted when they hit greens in regulation. The person who leads this is usually near the top of the leaderboard for the week, not the person with the fewest actual putts in the tournament, because he is making tap in 1 putts for par not birdie.Harvey Penick one of the most famous golf teachers of all time, said "if you are struggling with your putting practice your iron and short game so you will have shorter putts, because even the worst player makes more short putts than long.

being a pro has nothing to do with it. i cannot speak about bogey golf and how it is played however i was once there. i am currently a USGA 0 handicap and i play with some guys who hit it 30 yards past me and but have 0 short game i agree 100 percent that the golf score is made or lost around/on the green...for me hitting a 4 iron is like hitting a 7 iron there is no big difference, same swing same tempo in fact i love...LOVE my long irons i feel i have an advantage over most of the guys i play with do the the fact that i actually like to hit 3-5 irons...im 22 years of age, i work at a golf course and get to play anytime i want and for free so i play 4 rounds a week minimum as for the guy saying 10-18 putts per 9 holes is good or ideal..i laff,you never want to have a 2 putt average on 9 or 18 holes..13-14 is ideal 12-13 is good
you just improved my point..you hit your long irons same as you short...great..and you are a scratch player...like i said MOST players who play above 15 handi..cant hit long irons...so the difference fron a 4 iron to a 7 iron is huge...if DN could hit his 7 iron instead of his 4 iron then his score would go down alot
Total putts per round is a hard thing to try to get exact. For a good player who is hitting lots of greens in regulation (say 14 or 15), 28 to 30 putts is pretty good, because when you are hitting many greens in regulation, generally you are not going to have a bunch within 10 feet in order to make many. If you are not hitting many greens in regulation your putts should go down becuase you will be chipping more thus have closer putts, if you have a good short game.But in general what I am saying is the # of putts per round is not a good indicator of good or bad golf.I often as a pro shoot the exact same score having 34 putts as I do when I have 26 putts, the difference being how many greens in regulation that I hit.Getting up and down when missing the greens with a good short game and many 2 putts when I am hitting a lot of greens.Putting is a huge variable day to day in golf. In general ALL players good or bad should work to have less than 36 putts every round and if your constantly at or above that number you need to work on putting. On the PGA tour they often track number of putts but it is only counted when they hit greens in regulation. The person who leads this is usually near the top of the leaderboard for the week, not the person with the fewest actual putts in the tournament, because he is making tap in 1 putts for par not birdie.Harvey Penick one of the most famous golf teachers of all time, said "if you are struggling with your putting practice your iron and short game so you will have shorter putts, because even the worst player makes more short putts than long.
agreed..the final number at the end of the day is determined by the number swings of the flatstick you took...last sunday i had 23 putts in 18 holes..friggin lit it up but manged to hit only 6 greens...lowest 9 hole score i ever shot was a 30..about 7 weeks ago i hit 7 greens and had 11 puts...if i took a look at the put i made it..given 4 of those were within 5 feet..but u can hit the ball in the woods all day but if u can manage 27 putts or less your round will be decent
Actually, that's incorrect.For instance, when trying to keep the ball low (for wind) you move the ball back in your stance and keep your hands well forward, which reduces trajectory, not increase it. De-lofting your club reduces club face angle will reduce ball trajectory.Hitting down on the ball with irons is correct. Typical ball position is middle of stance, hands slightly ahead. The downward ball-compressing action does two things: 1. creates the spin you need to help stop the ball, and, 2. creates more power which translates into more distance.
What is said was as follows: "Golf is a game of opposites. When you try to pick the ball up, you are actually hitting the ball lower." Thus, I advocated that Daniel hit down on the ball. Everything that I said is correct. If you don't agree: please read the following links:http://golf.about.com/cs/tipslessons/a/hitdowndammit.htmhttp://www.king5.com/sports/golf/tigertips.html?ironsI accept apologies on any day of the weak, but twice on Tuesdays. Tiger doesn't accept apologies, he just kicks everybody's *** from most Thursdays to most Sundays.
What is said was as follows: "Golf is a game of opposites. When you try to pick the ball up, you are actually hitting the ball lower." Thus, I advocated that Daniel hit down on the ball. Everything that I said is correct. If you don't agree: please read the following links:http://golf.about.com/cs/tipslessons/a/hitdowndammit.htmhttp://www.king5.com/sports/golf/tigertips.html?ironsI accept apologies on any day of the weak, but twice on Tuesdays. Tiger doesn't accept apologies, he just kicks everybody's *** from most Thursdays to most Sundays.
Daniel does hit down on the ball...
An apology will not be required, because you are still wrong. You mis-interpreted Tiger's intent with his explanation.To clarify:Tiger correctly advocates hitting down on the ball. His explanation of "opposites" is just to re-iterate the importance of hitting down on the ball for proper contact and (here is the most important part you are missing) to prevent topping the ball.What you missed there is the fact that swinging up on the ball can cause a "topped ball", and in turn lower trajectory. If true contact is made, club face angle is what creates trajectory. Higher clubface angle, higher ball flight(trajectory). It's really simple physics.
An apology will not be required, because you are still wrong. You mis-interpreted Tiger's intent with his explanation.To clarify:Tiger correctly advocates hitting down on the ball. His explanation of "opposites" is just to re-iterate the importance of hitting down on the ball for proper contact and (here is the most important part you are missing) to prevent topping the ball.What you missed there is the fact that swinging up on the ball can cause a "topped ball", and in turn lower trajectory. If true contact is made, club face angle is what creates trajectory. Higher clubface angle, higher ball flight(trajectory). It's really simple physics.
What I is said was as follows: "Golf is a game of opposites. When you try to pick the ball up, you are actually hitting the ball lower."Dude are you a dyslexic reader. Let's flesh this out for you point by point.ME: Golf is a game of opposites.You: You are incorrect . . . blah, blah, blah.Tiger Woods: From a scientific standpoint, golf is a game of opposites.Analysis: The greatest player in the history of the game says I'm correct word for word, although I did fail to mention that it was from a scientific standpoint.ME: When you try to pick the ball up, you are actually hitting the ball lower.You: You are incorrect . . . blah, blah, blah.Tiger Woods: In order to get the ball airborne, you must hit down on it. Countless golfers try to help get the ball in the air by swinging up on the ball. That makes it go down – a topped shot, or a thin one at best.Analysis: Tiger says when you try to help get the ball in the air by swinging up, that action actually makes it go down i.e., golf is a game of opposites. I said the same thing. When you try to pick the ball up (see swinging up on the ball), then you are actually hitting the ball lower.Now, you don't have to apologize. Just stop making a fool of yourself by trying to correct the uncorrectable.
What I is said was as follows: "Golf is a game of opposites. When you try to pick the ball up, you are actually hitting the ball lower."Dude are you a dyslexic reader. Let's flesh this out for you point by point.ME: Golf is a game of opposites.You: You are incorrect . . . blah, blah, blah.Tiger Woods: From a scientific standpoint, golf is a game of opposites.Analysis: The greatest player in the history of the game says I'm correct word for word, although I did fail to mention that it was from a scientific standpoint.ME: When you try to pick the ball up, you are actually hitting the ball lower.You: You are incorrect . . . blah, blah, blah.Tiger Woods: In order to get the ball airborne, you must hit down on it. Countless golfers try to help get the ball in the air by swinging up on the ball. That makes it go down – a topped shot, or a thin one at best.Analysis: Tiger says when you try to help get the ball in the air by swinging up, that action actually makes it go down i.e., golf is a game of opposites. I said the same thing. When you try to pick the ball up (see swinging up on the ball), then you are actually hitting the ball lower.Now, you don't have to apologize. Just stop making a fool of yourself by trying to correct the uncorrectable.
From your original post:
Have you noticed that the Pros, even with a four iron, will hit the ball pretty high. Reason for that is that they hit down on the ball which causes the ball to fly higher and farther.
Hitting down on the ball will not make it fly higher. If we are to believe that, we are all playing for the wind incorrect because to hit the ball lower you have to move the ball further back in your swing, which creates a even more descending blow on the ball (which by your logic will make the ball fly higher).To reiterate: Club face angle creates trajectory, not hitting down on the ball. Hitting down on the ball will simply help stop us from topping the ball or hitting it thin, as Tiger correctly pointed out in his article.From the other article you posted:The angle at which the ball climbs (trajectory) will be directly related to the loft of the club we have chosen for the shot.
From your original post:Hitting down on the ball will not make it fly higher. If we are to believe that, we are all playing for the wind incorrect because to hit the ball lower you have to move the ball further back in your swing, which creates a even more descending blow on the ball (which by your logic will make the ball fly higher).To reiterate: Club face angle creates trajectory, not hitting down on the ball. Hitting down on the ball will simply help stop us from topping the ball or hitting it thin, as Tiger correctly pointed out in his article.From the other article you posted:The angle at which the ball climbs (trajectory) will be directly related to the loft of the club we have chosen for the shot.
Hitting down on the ball WILL make it fly higher for the correct distance of the club..if u hit a ball in the middle of ur stance and one u sweep it and one u hit down on the ball..the ball will fly higher when u hit down on it..sorry uI do not agree...the divot shuld start just after the ball not before
From your original post:Hitting down on the ball will not make it fly higher. If we are to believe that, we are all playing for the wind incorrect because to hit the ball lower you have to move the ball further back in your swing, which creates a even more descending blow on the ball (which by your logic will make the ball fly higher).To reiterate: Club face angle creates trajectory, not hitting down on the ball. Hitting down on the ball will simply help stop us from topping the ball or hitting it thin, as Tiger correctly pointed out in his article.From the other article you posted:The angle at which the ball climbs (trajectory) will be directly related to the loft of the club we have chosen for the shot.
You confuse ball position with swing plane. When you place the ball back in your stance, you can hit the ball either high or low depending on how you swing the club. For a lower trajectory ball, you can move the ball back in your stance which generally makes the ball fly lower unless you strike the ball with a descending blow which will cause the ball to fly higher. For an into the wind shot, you should swing the club at impact in a parallel line with the ground as opposed to the descending blow for a higher shot. Also, you should position your hands well ahead of the ball to hit the ball lower with a parallel swing. For DN, since I suspect that he is trying to help the ball up, I suggested that he move the ball slightly back of where he normally plays it and then take a normal swing which would create more of a descending blow and higher trajectory with longer yardage. When you swing for an into the wind shot, you place your hands well forward at adress, place the ball inside your right tow, and have a lower follow through to create a low, boring ball flight path.

As I watch amatuers every day on the course the biggest mistake I see is that people dont take enough club. All of your distances are when you hit it perfect. How many of you actually hit it perfect evertime? Take one more club and swing it smooth (85-90%) and you will all make better contact with the ball. The best putting tip I give is if you are really bad or not rolling it good. Switch to putt crosshanded. Spend about ten minutes and youll roll it a hundred times better. Also keep your head still, look up when the ball is halfway to the hole. Good luck.Superlooper