Kinda Depressed. Took Shots Above Bankroll Requirement And Didn't Do Well.

Anyways, here is my confession. Played some shorthanded 2 4 nl and 3 6 nl. Got my *** handed to me as I couldn't handle the variance and I stopped the bleeding before I went broke online. Cut my bankroll by more than half and now only have $1300 online. It's back to grinding low limits to try to rebuild. Had trouble sleeping as it really bothered me how stupid I was to take a shot like that. I swore I would never do it again but I just got really bored of grinding low limits and decided what the hell. Flame me all you want as I deserve it.

Flame me all you want as I deserve it.
No I wont flame you, do you know why? Because even though you did do rookie donkey move, ATLEAST you know it was stupid. I hope you learned from your lesson. And please don't tell me that if you had a good night instead of getting roasted, and won, say 2 buy ins that you would continue to still play that game for the rest of night? Was it a one time shot, or were you actually considering to STAY at those limits above your roll?
No I wont flame you, do you know why? Because even though you did do rookie donkey move, ATLEAST you know it was stupid. I hope you learned from your lesson. And please don't tell me that if you had a good night instead of getting roasted, and won, say 2 buy ins that you would continue to still play that game for the rest of night? Was it a one time shot, or were you actually considering to STAY at those limits above your roll?
I would guess the OP hoped to make a quick buck to move up one or two levels, not to stay at 2/4 and 3/6 NL. My guess is that he would move up to somewhere in the region of 2/4 limit? or .5/1 NL?

Been there done that 5 times man. I take shots quite a bit and am still playing at levels twice of what typical bankroll 'requirements' should be. Took a 25% bankroll hit this weekend actually. Its one of those things you shouldnt do because you forget about those hundreds of hours you spent getting your roll there only to lose it in a very short amount of time and be back to square one, but truth is you will rebuild again and you will probably take shots again. Thats pokah.I love using the rounders quote here ... "If you're too careful, your whole life can become a ******' grind"good luck on the rebuild

It happens. To all of us.Whether its a .50/1.00 player who takes shots at 3/6 or a 10/20NL player who takes shots at 50/100NL, we all take shots over our head at some point. Unfortunately, most of the time we are shot back down.The important thing is to avoid tilting off the rest of your BR and to not move up in limits until you feel comfortable both financially and emotionally.

Anyways, here is my confession. Played some shorthanded 2 4 nl and 3 6 nl. Got my *** handed to me as I couldn't handle the variance and I stopped the bleeding before I went broke online. Cut my bankroll by more than half and now only have $1300 online. It's back to grinding low limits to try to rebuild. Had trouble sleeping as it really bothered me how stupid I was to take a shot like that. I swore I would never do it again but I just got really bored of grinding low limits and decided what the hell. Flame me all you want as I deserve it.
A for effort. Learn from it, and move on.

To the OP, You say you have 1300 online, but is that your total bankroll? Or do you have roll stashed in other places? What game were you playin' before you took the stab? And why did you decide to go for it? Just curious.erac

My BR was only around $1800 when I started August, around $4300 when I finished August. definitely took shots WAYYYY above my BR, happened to work this time, definitely wont work in the long run. Right now I am using the 150BB rule instead of 300BB until I get smacked so hard I am forced to go way back downhere are my august stats ....pokertracker1.jpg25/50 and $1000 NL on $3000 BR? Thats just suicide.PS does anyone know if 163BB/100 is sustainable at $1000NL?

Maybe I am the only one who doesn't take "shots." I learned a while back that as long as you play poker right, at your levels so that you can take the swings/variance, you can ALWAYS win money. I've built up over 4K playing 1-2, 2-4 and some 3-6 (all limt) in a few months, only playing 12-15 hours a week. That right there proves you don't "need" to ever take shots. And even at a 2-4 level you can make good money just griding it out. Thousands a month means you can wait a month of grinding, and then maybe move up a notch or two.

Consider yourself lucky mate. I managed to turn a 30k bankroll into a 12k bankroll by taking 'a shot' at 25/50nl. The only problem is i didnt have the self control to limit myself to the 1 buy-in and decided to chase my losses.I hope I won't do it again but I'm sure I probably will at some point because its a hell of a rush!!!

Does this ever end well for anyone? Anytime a post starts off with ,"I played above my bankroll ....." it always ends badly. We should all know better by now.
only if you're a sick luckbox that cant miss a cardbtw, ive done this twice before, once with blackjack and once with poker. If you jumped up to try to win back some losses because you've been running bad lately you might want to try either taking a break from poker completely or switching to a different form of poker for a bit, either limit cash, or sngs or mtts just to get a change of pace.
To the OP, You say you have 1300 online, but is that your total bankroll? Or do you have roll stashed in other places? What game were you playin' before you took the stab? And why did you decide to go for it? Just curious.erac
I have a roll that I keep for live games and it's larger than my online roll but I like to keep it seperate because I find online to be much tougher. I decided to go for it because I was getting bored as hell.

I've done this about a brazillion times.It stings less the more stupid decisions you make. So either stop now completely, or keep it up. It's much easier when your BR is tiny though, cause then you just sit with it all, and when you lose, it sucks, cause you lost your whole BR... but at least it was only $100.So yeah... that's my sage advice. (I got paprika advice too).

My BR was only around $1800 when I started August, around $4300 when I finished August. definitely took shots WAYYYY above my BR, happened to work this time, definitely wont work in the long run. Right now I am using the 150BB rule instead of 300BB until I get smacked so hard I am forced to go way back downhere are my august stats ....pokertracker1.jpg25/50 and $1000 NL on $3000 BR? Thats just suicide.PS does anyone know if 163BB/100 is sustainable at $1000NL?
Well, I'm glad it worked out for you.
PS does anyone know if 163BB/100 is sustainable at $1000NL?
26 is most likely a big enough sample size to give you a really good idea of how well you play. I think that it's pretty sustainable. Just go for it right now, you're obviously killing the game.
26 is most likely a big enough sample size to give you a really good idea of how well you play. I think that it's pretty sustainable. Just go for it right now, you're obviously killing the game.
:club:
I have a roll that I keep for live games and it's larger than my online roll but I like to keep it seperate because I find online to be much tougher. I decided to go for it because I was getting bored as hell.
Okay, fist of all, you have no reason to be depressed. You took a stab and lost a decent portion of your smaller bank roll. No big deal, and it's only 1300 bucks. Secondly, if you did it because you were bored, consider maybe not playing online or diversifying the games you play. When i get bored i play plo at my usual limits. Something else i do when i'm bored is buy into a game way out of my roll for the min. For instance, I usually play 1/2 and 2/4. If i feel like messin around i'll buy into the 5/10 game for 200 bucks or so, and shove preflop with AQ or better. If I go broke I stop, if i double up a few times and have a proper stack, I'll play as I normally do. Although you need to get a little lucky to double up, it creates an automatic stop loss that you're roll can handle, even at a game out of your roll. Just a few ideas to consider.erac
Okay, fist of all, you have no reason to be depressed. You took a stab and lost a decent portion of your smaller bank roll. No big deal, and it's only 1300 bucks. Secondly, if you did it because you were bored, consider maybe not playing online or diversifying the games you play. When i get bored i play plo at my usual limits. Something else i do when i'm bored is buy into a game way out of my roll for the min. For instance, I usually play 1/2 and 2/4. If i feel like messin around i'll buy into the 5/10 game for 200 bucks or so, and shove preflop with AQ or better. If I go broke I stop, if i double up a few times and have a proper stack, I'll play as I normally do. Although you need to get a little lucky to double up, it creates an automatic stop loss that you're roll can handle, even at a game out of your roll. Just a few ideas to consider.erac
pretty sure that seems like the worst advice ive heard in a long time. He would be better off jumping limits than pushing pf with AQ or better @ $200 a pot+

In my limited experience, no-limit jumps have absolutely killed me.I typically play 10-20 Limit and 2-4 NL.In the last week, I've lost out on all-ins when people have made there flush draws against my set and things like that. Honestly, I don't know if I have the stones to play No Limit.The swings can be just bankroll suicide. But I guess they make memories. Best of luck to all of you who have the nerves to play NL. In my opinion, going from 10-20 Limit to 30-60 Limit is much easier that any NL jump.

Yeah...um...I hate you.
pretty sure that seems like the worst advice ive heard in a long time. He would be better off jumping limits than pushing pf with AQ or better @ $200 a pot+
When you take stabs at higher limits, you are in essence hoping to get lucky. You have no control over how you run during a single session out of your bankroll. If you buy in for full and run poorly, you losea full buy in at a limit that your roll can't handle. If you play shortstack strat (which has been proven succesful by countless folks on party, where you can shove, double up, get up from the table, and sit down again for min) You risk an amount of money that your roll can handle. You can potentially freeroll at a limit out of your roll, while limiting the amount you can lose. It's also pretty exciting (if you're bored, like the OP)
Taking 200 to a 5/10... that's just giving your money away. To the OP, continue taking those shots and hopefully you'll end up on the positive side of variance one of those times.