I watched part of his interview on Larry King that they re-broadcast tonight. His passion for conservation was really quite incredible. His dedication will be sorely missed.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People say "I thought he'd get bit by a snake or eaten by a crocodile". They say that though, bc they don't understand how much he knew these animals. I doubt that anyone on this board understands anything as much as he understood reptiles. He spent his whole life around these creatures and studied them extensively.In one way I'm surprised that he was killed by such an unaggressive animal, but in another I'm not surprised that it was an animal that he had relatively little experience with. Sidenote:When he brought his child into the croc area, was that child in ANY danger? NO!!!!! The man wasn't a loose cannon, the child was 100% safe. If we did a something like that it would be different, but he's a professional. He was a very passionate speaker and it made what he did seem all the more dangerous, when it really wasnt for someone with his experience.

oh those 2 are headed for hot water. i love the show but they are complete morons. i guess i like watching scarey stuff happen at others expense.but the thing is that the whole "he was bound to get eaten by a shark one of these days" doesnt count. it was a ray. very very placid.its like a lion trainer getting eaten by a domestic kitten and people saying "i told him to quit his job".
Has anyone ever been eaten by a domestic kitten?

"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin, the Australian naturalist killed by a stingray, was videotaped pulling a poisonous barb from his chest just before he died. Irwin's manager John Stainton described the footage of his friend dying as "terrible."wonder how long it takes for this video to hit the internet.

You know, I never really got into the Croc hunter show and what not, I always thought he was just some wacko that liked to jump on top of alligators and play with snakes. After watching all the tribute stuff today though, that guy was a pretty freakin good dude.Also, after thinking about it, its almost better that he was killed in a freak accident by an animal that really doesn't kill people often or easily. If he was eaten by a crocodile or bitten by a snake or something, people would've just concentrated on him being crazy or something and say "thats what you get", but since it was such a rare occurence getting stung by a stingray, people can concentrate more on what good things he did.ok, end weird, uncharacteristic, sentimental post
Wow...just wow...that 2nd paragraph was spot on. QFMFT!!!!Plus, I don't see the big deal with the baby fiasco is, he knew what he was doing, the baby was as far away from the croc as he possibly could've held it. To be honest, i've never heard of that incident until his death, but I watched the interview of him talking about that expirience, talk about passion, he was very angry when people brought that up. I also loved the fact that no one charges this man for anything he does, pretty insanse.RIP Steve

This was on the yahoo front page, I think his toughness might've what did him in. Although I'm probably way off and it was just the poision.Irwin pulled barb out of chest before death SYDNEY (Reuters) - Fatally injured "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin pulled a stingray's serrated barb from his chest before he lost consciousness and died, his manager said on Tuesday as fans worldwide mourned the exuberant naturalist. Hundreds of fans placed flowers outside his Australia Zoo in Queensland state and wrote messages on khaki shirts, part of his trademark uniform, as Irwin's body was flown home after Monday's freak diving accident off Australia's northeast coast.Officials offered Irwin's grieving family a state funeral while news of his death on the Great Barrier Reef clogged Internet news sites and ground some Web sites to a halt.Police have been handed footage taken as Irwin, 44, filmed what was to be his last documentary. It shows him swimming above a stingray when it lashed out and speared him in the heart with its barbed tail, manager John Stainton told reporters."He pulled it out and the next minute he's gone," he said."The cameraman had to shut down. It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... it's terrible," Stainton said.Police said it appeared Irwin was just watching the ray."There is no evidence that Mr Irwin was intimidating or threatening the stingray," Queensland police spokesman Mike Keating told reporters.Marine experts say stingrays can deliver horrific, agonizing injuries from the toxin-laden barbs, which can measure up to 20 cm (8 in) in length and cause injuries like a knife or bayonet."It's not the going in that causes the damage, it's the coming out where those deep serrations kind of pull on the flesh, and you end up with a very jagged tear which is quite a pronounced injury," said Dr Bryan Fry, deputy director of the Australian Venom Research Unit.FLIRT WITH DEATHAustralian Prime Minister John Howard interrupted parliament on Tuesday to pay tribute."He was a genuine, one-off, remarkable Australian individual and I am distressed at his death," Howard told parliament."We mourn his loss, we're devastated by the tragic circumstances in which he has been taken from us and we send our love and prayers to his grieving family," he said.Film star Russell Crowe praised Irwin as the "ultimate wildlife warrior."Irwin's zoo kept its gates open Tuesday despite his death."He would have been kicking our butts if we decided to close the zoo. It's a great chance for people to go in and see his crocodiles, see what he loved," zoo worker Louise Martin said.Environmental documentary maker Ben Cropp said Irwin was swimming alongside a bull stingray, probably weighing around 100 kg (220 lb). Stingrays are normally placid and only attack in self-defense. But Irwin's cameraman was filming in front of it and it probably became frightened and lashed out. Stainton said the cameraman only became aware of the attack when he noticed Irwin bleeding. Millions had seen Irwin flirt with death many times as he stalked and played with crocodiles, sharks, snakes and spiders. Stainton said he was struggling to come to terms with the fact that a stingray had killed his friend. "He just seemed to have a charmed life," Stainton said. Known for his catchphrase "Crikey" during close encounters with animals, Irwin made almost 50 documentaries which appeared on the cable TV channel Animal Planet. U.S.-based television company Discovery Communications, which produces Animal Planet, said it would set up a conservation fund in honor of Irwin. It said the footage of Irwin's fatal dive might never be broadcast. Irwin's documentaries attracted a global audience of some 200 million people, many of them in the United States, and fans from Guam to Glasgow jammed Web sites and news blogs. Many asked how they were to explain Irwin's death to their children. "Why did it have to be Steve Irwin," 11-year-old Daniel told Australian Associated Press.

I was first exposed to Steve by my cousin who loved animals, especially reptiles. I was never the one to take fondly to reptiles, but I watched the show with my cousin. The engaging, warm personality of Steve is what made the show. Sure, he was a little silly and zany at times, but you could see the passion and love for animals and the environment in his eyes. Passion of that nature is very rare to witness. He will forever be missed by the entire world. RIP

I got to say, I cared more about Asia Carrerre's husband dying than I do about a guy who constantly places his life in danger by harrassing deadly animals. I know, I know, he was on a mission to teach people about deadly animals, what ever. I remember this one episode I saw, where he had one of those super deadly brown australian snakes. And he was just slapping his hand at it, egging him on, trying to get the snake to bite him, then yanking his hand back. This is tauting in my mind. I don't think his death is sad or tragic. When someone puts their life at risk constantly by taunting ( that's what he did people) deadly animals, it's not tradgic that he died by one of those animals, it's a statistical inevitablity.

It's not tradgic that he died by one of those animals, it's a statistical inevitablity.
Well, the day I saw Steve Irwin in action, the first thing I told myself was "That croc guy is going to die from a sea creature that no one has died from in his country for over 60 years".Man...I was spot on with that inevitability.Yeah...I'm just being a dink today...crummy weekend...
Well, the day I saw Steve Irwin in action, the first thing I told myself was "That croc guy is going to die from a sea creature that no one has died from in his country for over 60 years".Man...I was spot on with that inevitability.Yeah...I'm just being a dink today...crummy weekend...
Oh, I know the dying via Ray is a very rare way to die.. I'm talking about his general putting himself in harms way, not this particular way he died, which was very rare.
Has anyone ever been eaten by a domestic kitten?
thanks for enforcing my point.also someone said that it could have been the poison that killed him.the barb isnt actually a poson barb. the sting alone cant kill you.if he didnt pull the barb out he wouldnt have died.but him pulling the barb out is a given due to the pain.a worker at his zoo got stung by one 10 times smaller, and had 6 shots of morphine and 6 hours later was still in immense pain.

incase you havent heard:http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...91-1702,00.htmlIrwin death footage may not be shownBy Peter MitchellSeptember 05, 2006THE footage of Steve Irwin's final moments alive may never be shown to the public, the head of the US TV company that broadcasts his show said today.Billy Campbell, the president of Discovery Networks, which owns the Animal Planet channel, said it was far too early to decide what footage viewers would see from Irwin's fatal trip on the Great Barrier Reef.Talks would take place with Irwin's wife, Terri, at a suitable time, he said."It's still too early," Mr Campbell said."We'll have to take a look at it."Campbell confirmed Irwin suffered the fatal blow from a stingray while Irwin was shooting footage for a new show he was doing with his eight-year-old daughter, Bindi.Bindi's show was scheduled to air on the Animal Planet and Discovery Kids channels in the US later this year or in 2007, but its future is now in doubt.Mr Campbell, who will fly to Australia for Irwin's funeral, said he would also ask Terri whether she would like Bindi's show to go ahead."In terms of the Bindi show, a lot of that will depend on the conversations I have with Terri in a couple of days," he said."I want to give her a few days to mourn and think through things."We'll talk about that in due time."Should they want to move forward, then definitely we will move forward."Mr Campbell was a close friend of Irwin's.The American TV executive heard the news of Irwin's death last night when a colleague woke him with a phone call.In 2005, Mr Campbell invited Irwin to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with him in South Carolina. Irwin reciprocated by inviting Campbell to go scuba diving with him on the Great Barrier Reef.The Animal Planet channel is shown in almost 90 million homes in the US and 237 million subscribers in 160 countries around the world.In the US, Animal Planet has re-scheduled its programming tonight to honour Irwin with a marathon of special Crocodile Hunter shows.Discovery Networks announced it would also create the Steve Irwin Crocodile Hunter Fund, which it will nickname "The Crikey Fund".The fund would "honour Steve's passion and exuberance for conservation" and it would also aid Irwin's Australia Zoo on Queensland's Sunshine Coast and support the education needs of Bindi and Irwin's three-year-old son Bob.Campbell said Irwin would probably be embarrassed by the fuss."He'd say, 'Billy, stop making such a big deal about it'," Campbell said.Animal Planet would also continue to air Irwin's Crocodile Hunter shows on its network."His legacy of work and education will continue to live on on the channel and with the company," Campbell said."As long as I'm here I certainly plan on airing his show and have them anchor what we are trying to do on Animal Planet because his message is so strong about conservation and education for children."

thanks for enforcing my point.also someone said that it could have been the poison that killed him.the barb isnt actually a poson barb. the sting alone cant kill you.if he didnt pull the barb out he wouldnt have died.but him pulling the barb out is a given due to the pain.a worker at his zoo got stung by one 10 times smaller, and had 6 shots of morphine and 6 hours later was still in immense pain.
I don't believe I enforced your point. While your point may indeed be valid, your analogy is flawed. As we have seen, it is quite possible for a crocodile hunter to get killed by a stingray. It may be rare, but it is still possible, so while it may be surprising it is still acceptable. However, I do not believe anyone, lion tamer or not, has ever been eaten by a domestic kitten. Actually, I don't believe it is possible. Perhaps over a period of time a stray domestic kitten in an abandoned house may be able to consume a human corpse, but I think this would take such an incredible amount of time that at some point during the consumption the kitten would cease to be classified as a kitten but rather an adult cat. Also, I don't believe the cat would actually consume the entire corpse. This I cannot confirm.Also, anything that causes such immense pain does have the potential to cause death.

Steve Irwin Facts Steve Irwin invented the nervous system just so animals could feel pain.Steve Irwin wrote Beowulf.Steve Irwin once made an Elephant forget.Every time you jerk-off, Steve Irwin kills a crocodile. Not because you jerked-off; that's just how often he kills crocodiles.Steve Irwin wasn't born in the womb - he thought that was for pussies.The best weapon in Halo 2 is Steve Irwin.One time Steve Irwin was walking along the beach and found a genie. He gave the genie three wishes. The genie wished it was Steve Irwin. Three times.Steve Irwin once mated with a crocodile and had a child. That child grew up to be Chuck Norris.When Steve Irwin swims with sharks, the steel cage is not there to keep Steve Irwin safe from the sharks. It is there to keep the sharks safe from Steve Irwin.After Crocodile Dundee pulled out a knife and said the famous line "That's not a knife, this is a knife", the only reason people were scared was because Steve Irwin was standing right behind him.When Steve Irwin plays monopoly, he collects free parking no matter what square he lands on. When he draws the 'Go Directly to Jail' card, he just laughs and rips it up. No one questions him. No one.Steve Irwin's favorite drink is GATORade.When Steve Irwin approached the Gates of Hades, he took the giant 3-headed dog, grabbed it, wrestled it to the ground, beat it into submission and hog tied it. Then, he let the pissed off dog go free and did it all again for fun. Thirty-Seven times. If you don't know who your real father is, it's Steve Irwin.Aussie band Savage Garden will perform at Croc Hunters funeral. First choice was Sting but was decided inappropriate.When Steve Irwin was a child, his friends were skipping stones out on the lake. Steve Irwin thought that game was stupid, so he picked up the biggest rock he could find and hurled it into the sky. That rock is now called The Moon.Steve Irwin once got a blowjob from a crocodile. After that no woman was ever able to compare, no matter how toothy the BJ was. Steve Irwin was killed when his heart was pierced by a deadly sting ray. The stingray was also killed when, in his final living action, Steve Irwin took revenge on the stingray by piercing its heart with his penis. Steve Irwin and the Grizzly Man once double teamed a bear. Steve took the front and Grizzly took the back. They Eiffel towered the bear. Steve Irwin's child has already begun walking in his father's footsteps by trying to provoke his stuffed animals into mauling him.Steve Irwin died as he lived, with animals firmly in his heart.The police discovered that Steve Irwin wasn't wearing any sunscreen at the time of his death. He obviously hadn't been getting protection from HARMFUL RAYS!!!As a child, Steve Irwin played hungry hungry hippos... with real hippos.One time, Steve Irwin went to the bar to play a game of pool. Upon arrival at the bar, he saw it wasn't a real pool. There was no water, and definately no crocodiles. In his confusion and rage, he killed everyone including a crocodile. Which is impossible, until you remember this *IS* Steve Irwin.Steve Irwin once rewrote the complete works of William Shakespeare with ink from a giant squid. When he was done writing he killed and ate the squid for breakfast.During the 1992 Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain Steve Irwin successfully stopped the bulls from running and replaced them with himself, accidentally killing two American tourist in his lone stampede. from http://www.superawesomewow.com/ReDesign/SA...-000.php?idx=72

Steve Irwin Facts Steve Irwin invented the nervous system just so animals could feel pain.Steve Irwin wrote Beowulf.Steve Irwin once made an Elephant forget.Every time you jerk-off, Steve Irwin kills a crocodile. Not because you jerked-off; that's just how often he kills crocodiles.Steve Irwin wasn't born in the womb - he thought that was for pussies.The best weapon in Halo 2 is Steve Irwin.One time Steve Irwin was walking along the beach and found a genie. He gave the genie three wishes. The genie wished it was Steve Irwin. Three times.Steve Irwin once mated with a crocodile and had a child. That child grew up to be Chuck Norris.When Steve Irwin swims with sharks, the steel cage is not there to keep Steve Irwin safe from the sharks. It is there to keep the sharks safe from Steve Irwin.After Crocodile Dundee pulled out a knife and said the famous line "That's not a knife, this is a knife", the only reason people were scared was because Steve Irwin was standing right behind him.When Steve Irwin plays monopoly, he collects free parking no matter what square he lands on. When he draws the 'Go Directly to Jail' card, he just laughs and rips it up. No one questions him. No one.Steve Irwin's favorite drink is GATORade.When Steve Irwin approached the Gates of Hades, he took the giant 3-headed dog, grabbed it, wrestled it to the ground, beat it into submission and hog tied it. Then, he let the pissed off dog go free and did it all again for fun. Thirty-Seven times. If you don't know who your real father is, it's Steve Irwin.Aussie band Savage Garden will perform at Croc Hunters funeral. First choice was Sting but was decided inappropriate.When Steve Irwin was a child, his friends were skipping stones out on the lake. Steve Irwin thought that game was stupid, so he picked up the biggest rock he could find and hurled it into the sky. That rock is now called The Moon.Steve Irwin once got a blowjob from a crocodile. After that no woman was ever able to compare, no matter how toothy the BJ was. Steve Irwin was killed when his heart was pierced by a deadly sting ray. The stingray was also killed when, in his final living action, Steve Irwin took revenge on the stingray by piercing its heart with his penis. Steve Irwin and the Grizzly Man once double teamed a bear. Steve took the front and Grizzly took the back. They Eiffel towered the bear. Steve Irwin's child has already begun walking in his father's footsteps by trying to provoke his stuffed animals into mauling him.Steve Irwin died as he lived, with animals firmly in his heart.The police discovered that Steve Irwin wasn't wearing any sunscreen at the time of his death. He obviously hadn't been getting protection from HARMFUL RAYS!!!As a child, Steve Irwin played hungry hungry hippos... with real hippos.One time, Steve Irwin went to the bar to play a game of pool. Upon arrival at the bar, he saw it wasn't a real pool. There was no water, and definately no crocodiles. In his confusion and rage, he killed everyone including a crocodile. Which is impossible, until you remember this *IS* Steve Irwin.Steve Irwin once rewrote the complete works of William Shakespeare with ink from a giant squid. When he was done writing he killed and ate the squid for breakfast.During the 1992 Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain Steve Irwin successfully stopped the bulls from running and replaced them with himself, accidentally killing two American tourist in his lone stampede. from http://www.superawesomewow.com/ReDesign/SA...-000.php?idx=72
So in post mortem, Irvin > Norris? about time net nerds got a new homoerotic idol.
So in post mortem, Irvin > Norris? about time net nerds got a new homoerotic idol.
If someone funny runs with it, SI could be funnier as a replacement than the CN thing was. But that isn't saying much, because that was agonizingly unfunny.
If someone funny runs with it, SI could be funnier as a replacement than the CN thing was. But that isn't saying much, because that was agonizingly unfunny.
Truth. the chuck norris thing is just about the gayest fad of all time. And i don't mean gay in an ironic way, or in a " gay=lame" sort of way, I mean it was the ultimate expression of net nerds pent up cok hunger.