Liars poker is great!! We used to play it with like a dozen people.  That gets crazy.  I have not played in years.  When I tried to explain it to some of the people I hang with these days they thought i was making it up!!
Ok, I just ignored it at first, but now I'm intrigued. How exactly do you play Liar's Poker?
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WEll its about 4 pm est. and the NATIONAL SCRABLLE CHAMPIONSHIPS are on ESPN2. What has this world come to? Opp234A lot of good Scrabble players can play other games fairly well, it's not nearly a crapshoot, and it is a legitimate game. Paul Philips plays in Division 3, though for Paul, it's more of a hobby. Nack Ballard, a world class backgammon player used to be a world class Scrabble player first. Jim Geary is a top 20 Scrabble player, and he can play poker pretty well (he regularly plays cash games with triple digit blinds, and he's had quite a few 5 digit pots). There is a legitimate amount of strategy in Scrabble, and it's actually much more of a math game than a word game. There's a lot of math in Scrabble, in fact more than there is in poker (and yeah, there's a LOT more in poker than most people think, I'm well aware of things like steal equities and things like that, although how to apply such numbers I'm not so sure of). But Scrabble is a lot more legitimate for ESPN than the Great Outdoor Games, or Blackjack on GSN, or Celebrity Poker. A lot of top 100 Scrabble players at least are able to break 2-4 games pretty regularly. We're not brilliant poker players, but we're good enough strategists that I'm pretty sure if the top 20 players tried poker instead that they'd be playing 3-6 or 5-10 and winning. The good Scrabble players are not gaming idiots. I don't claim that the top Scrabble players know Scrabble like Daniel knows poker, but if there were any money in Scrabble, we might.

Slightly off-topic, but I must pipe up and say that one of my favourite works in scrabble is QOPH. I always seem to get stuck without a U or a blank and that word is sweet!

First Place takes home a whopping $500.00 :roll:Surely you must be kidding....There is one coming up in June. First prize is $600.00. Get your seats now.http://carolravi.com/ScrWeb/Tourneys/2005June.aspxTournament DetailsName Michigan Madness Scrabble Tournament Dates June 25-26, 2005 (Saturday and Sunday) Location Hazel Park High School Cafeteria <<<<<<<<<<<23400 HughesHazel Park, MI

WEll its about 4 pm est. and the NATIONAL SCRABLLE CHAMPIONSHIPS are on ESPN2.What has this world come to?Opp234
Probably won't be seeing you on future episodes since you can't spell Scrabble! :D
Hellmuth in a Roshambo tourney (from CardPlayer):Hellmuth strode forth confidently to center ring, his 6-foot-6 inchestowering a good foot above Friedman.  He assumed his usual tabledemeanor, threatening to "look into Perry's soul" as he often doeswith his poker tournament opponents.  After a few early ties when bothplayers threw rock, Friedman switched to scissors to beat Hellmuth'spaper.  Friedman disdainfully exclaimed "rock, rock, paper?!" in amanner that clearly suggested it was an amateurish maneuver.  For theremainder of the match, Friedman would outtalk and out-throw Hellmuth,until, leading 9-6, he proclaimed (in his best Scotty Nguyenimpersonation): "If you go rock, it all ova baby!"  Hellmuth couldn'tresist the challenge, threw a rock and lost to Friedman's paper,sending the smirking Friedman to the semifinals.  Perry smiled andconfessed to the audience that he actually had no soul.
LMAO! If you go rock, it all ova baby!

I love these threads, no one is calling anyone an idiot for reraise with23 off suit to a board of A :) K :D Q :club: J :) 2 :) Kind of refreshing......... oh ya and rock kicks ass nothing beats rock according to Mickey on Seinfeld.

I love these threads, no one is calling anyone an idiot for reraise with23 off suit to a board of A :) K :D Q :club: J :) 2 :)  Kind of refreshing......... oh ya and rock kicks ass nothing beats rock according to Mickey on Seinfeld.
Yeah, classic Seinfeld....Rock, Rock...okrock, rock...okrock rock...okdamn!
I love these threads, no one is calling anyone an idiot for reraise with23 off suit to a board of A :) K :D Q :club: J :) 2 :)  Kind of refreshing......... oh ya and rock kicks ass nothing beats rock according to Mickey on Seinfeld.
Yeah, classic Seinfeld....Rock, Rock...okrock, rock...okrock rock...okdamn!
Haha, yes! Great episode (As most were). Do you remember if they actually went on longer than that?

the best is when they cry and/or faint....... man I almost feel sorry for those kids. I mean they look geeky enough but to be known in the schoolyard as the spelling bee champ man that would be rough getting your ass kicked all the time.

I'll come get you! The only thing is I'm an extremely bad loser. If I lose, the board gets flipped over fast! This is actually my best strategy for winning. Whenever someone scores a big word and looks like their going to win, the board just gets flipped over and my opponents are too scared to say they had won.