I am playing in the Party Poker $5 rebuy and I was wondering if it makes sense to just play toight hope to double up two or three times with solid hands, and then just buy your way to a decent stack at the end?also how many chips should you have after the rebuy?

I final tabled this tourney once, ended up getting third. I got up to 20K after the rebuy period, and I was never really in chip trouble the rest of the way. I think 15-25K is about right.

I've done 18 rebuys in this tourney once, and went busto near the bubble. Personally, I think that if you want to have a good shot at winning this tourney, aim to have about 15K-20K in chips by the break. Rebuy like a maniac and push-in with your TPGK, straight/flush draws hands and immediately rebuy while waiting for the hand to play out. The rebuying gets quite addictive after a while.

Hey everyone. I've been lurking around for awhile here but never post. Anyway i'm playing in the same tournament and am glad to hear about where to be at the break. I was at around 37000 after the break (with add-on) and one rebuy (initial). I was all set to use the multiple rebuy strategy but somebody else at my table was pushing with any two cards so I got my chips mostly through that person. I never got outdrawn on by him which was good. So yeah, hello all and good luck no-neck.

Hey everyone. I've been lurking around for awhile here but never post. Anyway i'm playing in the same tournament and am glad to hear about where to be at the break. I was at around 37000 after the break (with add-on) and one rebuy (initial). I was all set to use the multiple rebuy strategy but somebody else at my table was pushing with any two cards so I got my chips mostly through that person. I never got outdrawn on by him which was good. So yeah, hello all and good luck no-neck.
My AA can 't out flop 44 and I am out.
I am playing in the Party Poker $5 rebuy and I was wondering if it makes sense to just play toight hope to double up two or three times with solid hands, and then just buy your way to a decent stack at the end?also how many chips should you have after the rebuy?
Rebuy tournaments allow players to fix their bad decisions by rebuying in, during the first few rounds.What this means is that most rebuy tournaments are going to be very, very loose before the rebuys are over. You *ARE* going to get called no matter what you bet, generally speaking.You want to be at least with an average chip stack after the rebuy period, so check where you are in the partypoker tournament lobby.Play to double up a few times then add-on. If you are ready to rebuy a few times, you could take more risks and push your edges, but it is a question of temperment. I lock up pretty tight in the early rounds and push any 10 or higher outs edges. For $5, you might as well, but that is a personal decision.As I type this I am actually playing in a $3 rebuy on partypoker to get my $215 Sunday Millions entry fee. Playing pretty tight with one rebuy and one addon, I emerged from the rebuy period with average ships. Right now I am twice the average stack and in good position. Keep in mind that loose players *love* rebuy tournaments and they are good sources of chips later in the rebuy tournaments once the rebuy 'tap' is turned off.Immediately after the rebuys are over, there is always a player or two that have not geared down and firing on all cylinders. Watch those guys get taken off.You have to change gears at that point. That said, you may wish to exploit this tightening up to grab a few pots, but don't do it right at the beginning of the post-rebuy perod, wait a cycle for everyone to relax.
I used to hate re-buys. Then I read Daniels stratagy going into the WSOP re-buy and tried it. WOW I have been in the money in 80% of the tournements since.
I'd expect that to only go up from there.
GL Blubmer
Thanks! 3rd break now. Was at 110k but i'm now at 64k after a couple of hits. 128 players left. 76k chip average. Any advice on how to proceed? bubble play, aggressive or passive, etc.
Tight and aggressive. Don't be afraid to go broke but don't invest chips on marginal hands.
I'm hanging in there. I need some help from the cards tho. 90 left. Playing one hand at a time. (top 80 pays).3-6 k blinds. 50k left. 110k ave.
I'm hanging in there. I need some help from the cards tho. 90 left. Playing one hand at a time. (top 80 pays).3-6 k blinds. 50k left. 110k ave.
definitely looking for a hand to double up with now, and that's all.

I don't think rebuy tournaments are good for me...I'm just too sick.The last one I played I re-bought 26 times...sick, just sick...I'm like Daniel but the dumb version.

definitely looking for a hand to double up with now, and that's all.
Well it's over. A Q suited in the bb. Only chip leader at the table left in the hand (small blind was eliminated the previous hand). So I move all in hoping he folds or I double up. He calls with J-9 offsuit. and wins with two pair. I finish in 81st place. :club: That's poker I guess.
I've done 18 rebuys in this tourney once, and went busto near the bubble. Personally, I think that if you want to have a good shot at winning this tourney, aim to have about 15K-20K in chips by the break. Rebuy like a maniac and push-in with your TPGK, straight/flush draws hands and immediately rebuy while waiting for the hand to play out. The rebuying gets quite addictive after a while.
It's not what you're saying, it's what you're putting up for your avatar and sig.GODDAMNIT ALL TO HELL!

Too bad blubmer, busting near the bubble is heartbreaking. I find DN's strategy of multiple rebuys interesting in an abstract way and there is a certain mathametical elegance to pumping up your table with chips then winning all those chips back. DN's article on the multiple rebuys in the wsop is a classic and you come across references to this in a lot of poker books.I think rebuy tournaments are really a question of understanding that there are two different phases and you have to adapt to them. By the way, in the post yesterday I was typing while playing in a $3 rebuy tournament to qualify for a bigger tourney. I made the final table and qualified for the partypoker Million guaranteed tournament for next Sunday. If your image is tight and you pick a big blind that is also tight and your raise is too great a percentage of his stack, unless he has a premium hand, you *are* winning the antes and the blinds. Even if they have a premium hand, you are raising with something so there are outs and the opponent knows this too. It is risk vs reward. In most cases you are playing tight so when you raise you *do* have a serious hand. Opponents that look you up are usually staring down the barrel of a serious hand. It does not take players in the last 10% of a tournament long to evaluate the danger level of a serious raise. I generally have the goods and rarely raise with garbage. Players will not look you up if they think that you have a real hand most of the time.So don't get discouraged from playing rebuys. If you made the bubble, ... congratulations! :club: Most of the players did not. Next time you will make it over.Best of luck in future rebuys.