For those of you saying that if Michael survives he will come back for Dukie, I think you either missed the point of that scene or I misunderstood it. Because to me that was goodbye, forever. That whole, "Remember that time, Mike" "I dont" That was seriously depressing. Im pretty sure Dukie has been swallowed up by the streets. I could be wrong, and although its just a TV show, I hope I am.I remember seeing Mr. Prezbo with a huge beard. Maybe he makes an appearence in the finale. My guess is that the only hope for Dukie is Prezbo.Snoop took it like a champ.Omars time was long ago. His character was almost too good at what he did. Very unrealistic, imo, that he hadnt been dropped by a random earlier.McNulty seems to be fucked. Bubbles seems to be on the right track. That scares me. Keema is a rat. I cant believe it. Terrible.

i don't think that omar was ever really supposed to be realistic... at least after his early appearances. I love the randomness of how he died. He was like Achilles, a force of nature, unstoppable, that got taken down by an arrow to his heel ( or in this case a bullet to the brain by a toddler). I think you're absolutely right about dookie. I think he's lost. He's a smart, sensitive, nice guy. And because of it, he's going to be destroyed by the streets. Michael is just going to get harder and harder and harder until he's dead or in jail. Dook is just gonna be bubbles 2.0.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

season 5 episode 10 spoilers below.

So, I would say they probably couldn't have ended it better. I'm not saying it was a great ending by any means just that with what they did before it was nearly impossible to blow us away. At the end of it, you want more so you can't complain about that. Some might call that being dissatisfied but I guess it all depends on how you look at it.I didn't like Michael at the end. I thought his omar impression was a bit silly. On the very few occasions he did talk whilst doing intense stuff like that (at least I think he did it at least once), he had the same mannerism where you would say he's trying to act older for lack of a better description. And, when he did this for a somewhat extended period of time (a whole sentence or two instead of just a few words) it just didn't feel right.Sidnor being the new mcnulty made me laugh. Obvious, yes, but funny with the same classic line being used (with which the whole episode was filled).I've always liked Slim Charles. I'll leave it at that.I found the marlo 'taking his corner' moment to be a little bit over the top (in all meanings of 'taking his corner'). But, I guess it was good to see that he could handle himself. Even though it was against a couple of scrubs.good show

Shit, I've been waiting all day to dl this! ! must not read a word of that spoiler!

So, I would say they probably couldn't have ended it better. I'm not saying it was a great ending by any means just that with what they did before it was nearly impossible to blow us away. At the end of it, you want more so you can't complain about that. Some might call that being dissatisfied but I guess it all depends on how you look at it.I didn't like Michael at the end. I thought his omar impression was a bit silly. On the very few occasions he did talk whilst doing intense stuff like that (at least I think he did it at least once), he had the same mannerism where you would say he's trying to act older for lack of a better description. And, when he did this for a somewhat extended period of time (a whole sentence or two instead of just a few words) it just didn't feel right.Sidnor being the new mcnulty made me laugh. Obvious, yes, but funny with the same classic line being used (with which the whole episode was filled).I've always liked Slim Charles. I'll leave it at that.I found the marlo 'taking his corner' moment to be a little bit over the top (in all meanings of 'taking his corner'). But, I guess it was good to see that he could handle himself. Even though it was against a couple of scrubs.good show

great final episode. The first time I watched it, I was a little disappointed things didn't.. burn down more for McNulty.. but then I realized, it made more sense in the context of the show for things to resolve as they did . I think the whole " young characters repeating the sins of other characters was interesting, if a little heavy handed (IE Dookie-Bubbles, Sydor-McNulty, Omar-Michael). Over all, I think it was a great final episode, a fantistic final montage, and I'm going to really, really miss this montage. A couple random thoughts..When Lester first started asserting himself as a character, back in season one, as the lost good cop, who'd been shipped to the pawn shop forever for pissing off the bosses, I wondered.. why the hell would that happen? Why would they ship off a cop as good as Lester? He was "real Po-lease" what could he have done that would have got him exiled. And then, as the seasons go on, and what a single minded, obsessive guy he was, who gave exactly zero of a fck about politics, it became obvious. By the end of this season, you can completely see why the bosses wanted him no where near an investigation. I wish McNulty would have jumped off a bridge or something, but I guess they have to worry about the movie potential. Which is kinda suprising that they off'd Omar, if they make a movie, you'd think they'd want him.The first time I watched the final montage, I saw them arrest that kid in a white shirt, I didn't recognize him as the one who shot Omar, I just figured he was just a kid getting in trouble for drugs. The second time I noticed the cop behind him was a black cop from the Homicide division, and when I re-watched episode 8, sure enough that was the kid that shot him, and sure enough that was the cop on the case. That made me laugh a little

also, fans of the wire will be interested in this pod casthttp://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/indexit's on the right of the screen, between Bill Simmons, and Jayson Witlock. They are two sports writers, but the spend the entire pod cast talking about the wire, two huge fans talking about interesting stuff about the show. It contains spoilers up to, but not including the last episode, good stuff.

great final episode. The first time I watched it, I was a little disappointed things didn't.. burn down more for McNulty.. but then I realized, it made more sense in the context of the show for things to resolve as they did . I think the whole " young characters repeating the sins of other characters was interesting, if a little heavy handed (IE Dookie-Bubbles, Sydor-McNulty, Omar-Michael). Over all, I think it was a great final episode, a fantistic final montage, and I'm going to really, really miss this montage. A couple random thoughts..When Lester first started asserting himself as a character, back in season one, as the lost good cop, who'd been shipped to the pawn shop forever for pissing off the bosses, I wondered.. why the hell would that happen? Why would they ship off a cop as good as Lester? He was "real Po-lease" what could he have done that would have got him exiled. And then, as the seasons go on, and what a single minded, obsessive guy he was, who gave exactly zero of a fck about politics, it became obvious. By the end of this season, you can completely see why the bosses wanted him no where near an investigation. I wish McNulty would have jumped off a bridge or something, but I guess they have to worry about the movie potential. Which is kinda suprising that they off'd Omar, if they make a movie, you'd think they'd want him.The first time I watched the final montage, I saw them arrest that kid in a white shirt, I didn't recognize him as the one who shot Omar, I just figured he was just a kid getting in trouble for drugs. The second time I noticed the cop behind him was a black cop from the Homicide division, and when I re-watched episode 8, sure enough that was the kid that shot him, and sure enough that was the cop on the case. That made me laugh a little

I could not agree with you more here. I was surprised they were able to tie most thigns down, yet not make it feel like it was rushed. The symbolism was, as always, point on. I can't really add more to what you had, so I will just leave it at that.
I just realized the sleazy traitor spartan in 300 was mcNulty hahah it's making me laugh as I watch 300.
He better be careful or he is going to be typecast as a philandering schemer.
also, fans of the wire will be interested in this pod casthttp://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/indexit's on the right of the screen, between Bill Simmons, and Jayson Witlock. They are two sports writers, but the spend the entire pod cast talking about the wire, two huge fans talking about interesting stuff about the show. It contains spoilers up to, but not including the last episode, good stuff.
Good call....I came here just now to post this for you all...and my boy Josh.

Great overall synopsis by Whitlock in that podcast. I particularly liked the end when he was discussing how the first 3 seasons were all about Avon, Stringer, D'Angelo, WeeBay, etc. Rather than showing flashbacks about how these characters grew up, Simon shows us the new generation. He gives us these new characters to show that the street life in Baltimore is so cyclical. Whitlock says basically these last two seasons have been all about the kids. Last season he gave us the school environment and this year he extends that out. Simon also shows the lack of parenting in the street, but the urge of the newer generation to try and do right by their children. THis season was the first we ever saw Chris with his kids. Michael taking care of Bug. Namond being more of a responsible kid. Seems like Simon is trying to show there is a way to help turn around the vicious cycle of the street.

Great overall synopsis by Whitlock in that podcast. I particularly liked the end when he was discussing how the first 3 seasons were all about Avon, Stringer, D'Angelo, WeeBay, etc. Rather than showing flashbacks about how these characters grew up, Simon shows us the new generation. He gives us these new characters to show that the street life in Baltimore is so cyclical. Whitlock says basically these last two seasons have been all about the kids. Last season he gave us the school environment and this year he extends that out. Simon also shows the lack of parenting in the street, but the urge of the newer generation to try and do right by their children. THis season was the first we ever saw Chris with his kids. Michael taking care of Bug. Namond being more of a responsible kid. Seems like Simon is trying to show there is a way to help turn around the vicious cycle of the street.
Yep, he was dead on.

Awesome show that doesn't get the same hype as others. It is probably just too dark and gritty for some people to understand, but that's what I love about the show. It pushes the boundaries and is a dead on portrayal of inner city life. The finale was just a perfect way to cap everything off. It was great how they were able to tie up all the loose ends considering how many characters and storylines there were.

Funnies line was from Marlo when he points to Cheese and then Monk "You gettin out, you aint". Only really had two problems with the finale, did they have to make the Michael being the new Omar thing so in your face. I mean usually the wire doesn't spell everything out for you but they made it like so obvious. Also I think Templeton would have had things written in his notes, he would have some true things in there that just didn't pan out, and he most likely would have written down some of the lies as he thought of them on the street.

It wasn't as good of an ending as Six Feet Under had, but it was up there and it fit in very well with the show. I told you guys the Dookie was going to be the new Bubbles... they gave you a glimpse of hope when he was talking to Prez, but as soon as he dropped him off you could see what was going to happen. I don't mind Michael being the next Omar at all, when it all comes down to it he fits the perfect profile for it. He doesn't like how the dealers operate, he has the heart to live that life, and what else is there for him to do.You guys are also missing the really obvious Parlow -> Wee-Bay and the guy at the city paper (younger black guy) becoming the new version of Gus during the montage. Marlo trying to get into business was more or less a throwback to Avon and Stringer. He tried to be Stringer, but he was left knowing the only thing for him was the street like Avon. I don't understand what he is going to do after selling the connect though.

I guess it's aired now so no need for spoilers. The Chris and Wee-Bay scene makes me wish there was another season of Oz just so they could be in it. I do understand the thing with duke, but at the same time some people seem to be like "well what did you expect for him to get a college scholarship", well no, but at the same time it seems in Wire universe there are only cops, politicians, dealers, and junkies. Of course you get the occasional person like Prez who leaves police to do something else, and Cutty, but the Wire never seemed to show the low level workers in an urban enviroment. It seemed much more likely for Duke to just end up working in a convience store or something, never making a good life for himself but getting by. I've worked crappy jobs with people in their teens and twenties whose parents were alcholics/junkies etc and while they may never "suceed" in life, but they weren't junkies either. Of course most of them ending up having a grandmother or something in their life, and Duke always was kind of a follower. I completely understand Michael becoming a stick-up boy, I just found it a bit cheesy that they basically recreated the scene where we are introduced to Omar in S1

You guys are also missing the really obvious Parlow -> Wee-Bay and the guy at the city paper (younger black guy) becoming the new version of Gus during the montage. Marlo trying to get into business was more or less a throwback to Avon and Stringer. He tried to be Stringer, but he was left knowing the only thing for him was the street like Avon. I don't understand what he is going to do after selling the connect though.
This was something I saw immediately tonight. I loved it. Marlo couldn't leave the street, HAD to get right back out there.Wrapped up alot of the loose ends VERY nicely!Gonna miss the hell out of this show.I also liked Cheese getting popped and Slim sayin..."that was for Joe".
I guess it's aired now so no need for spoilers. The Chris and Wee-Bay scene makes me wish there was another season of Oz just so they could be in it.
The Wire is to realistic and Oz to over the top, but thats would have been a funny connection.
I do understand the thing with duke, but at the same time some people seem to be like "well what did you expect for him to get a college scholarship", well no, but at the same time it seems in Wire universe there are only cops, politicians, dealers, and junkies. Of course you get the occasional person like Prez who leaves police to do something else, and Cutty, but the Wire never seemed to show the low level workers in an urban enviroment. It seemed much more likely for Duke to just end up working in a convience store or something, never making a good life for himself but getting by. I've worked crappy jobs with people in their teens and twenties whose parents were alcholics/junkies etc and while they may never "suceed" in life, but they weren't junkies either.
Season 2 dock workers, or how about the kid who was in the streets the first 3 seasons with Boadie till he got killed and worked at foot locker. The also covered why he had trouble getting a job in the conversation with Prez. They did the scene recreation with a lot of people.Good to see Bubbles get his life turned around, I was hoping we were going to get to read that story or have it narrated to us.
The Wire is to realistic and Oz to over the top, but thats would have been a funny connection.
Oh yeah of course in reality it would suck, but in my mind it's the best show ever. I just hope Partlows family is able to be taken care of better than Wee-Bay's.

Very good wrapup to this season and really all five seasons. Loved the montage of bmore at the end. I will miss the fact that I can't look forward to another new season down the road.Big props to David Simon, the producers, actors, and everyone else involved in making the Wire the best show ever aired on television, imo.

I can't remember where I heard it, but in an interview Dominic West (McNulty) mentioned something that really hinted there was going to be a movie. I don't have a link or anything. It may have been in the podcast with Bill Simmons and Jason Whitlock.

The beautiful thing about the show was that it didn't moralize. The people are the same, whether they were poh-leese, the drug crews, the media, the politicians. The ones who had good hearts got crapped on and the people who only cared about their own ambition came out on top. The only thing that really mattered was where they were born. Loved Valchek being the new commander.