One more, talking about the show Homicide: Life on the Streets, which was based on the book.

I went to the set a couple times during filming, standing around like any other tourist. The detectives themselves would occasionally show up, usually with wives or girlfriends who wanted to meet Danny Baldwin or Kyle Secor. A few took the gig of technical advisor, sitting by the video monitors and offering advice when asked, and sometimes, to the chagrin of the film company, when not.A special moment in this regard belongs to Harry Edgerton, who, upon witnessing Frank Pembleton - his television alter ego - order a Scotch and a milk at a bar, shouted, "Cut."Barry Levinson turned to look at his technical advisor as if to examine a new species. Assistant directors and junior producers scurried to immediately right the wrong. "But there's no way I would drink something like that," Edgerton said to me later. "Scotch and milk? Seriously, Dave, people I know are gonna see that and what are they gonna think?"
  • Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

False! I don't think I'll ever tire of talking about The Wire, and I'm sure lots of others feel the same way.
I will agree with you on that one. I am thinking about going through the whole series again through netflix. I wish it was one of the instant watch though cause it would be so much more easier.
I got the complete series for xmas.... of course, by the time I finish nobody will want to discuss it anymore :club:
False! I don't think I'll ever tire of talking about The Wire, and I'm sure lots of others feel the same way.
I will agree with you on that one. I am thinking about going through the whole series again through netflix. I wish it was one of the instant watch though cause it would be so much more easier.
Yea, I just randomly watched the Finale yesterday, love talking about the Wire. Loved those quotes Tim
I just started re-watching the entire series a couple days ago and just finished season 1.

Watching Wallace get killed never gets easier

QFT.David Simon on it "

The crew was ****in’ mad at us. The crew was like, “This is a bad scene, man.” It was horrifying. We’re hugging the actor—a great kid named Michael Jordan. He’s got a good gig now. Friday Night Lights. I just put my arm around him and I said, “Look, people are going to remember this scene for a long time and they’re going to know that this is a young man who can act. I can’t write you a better scene than that.” And he brought it. All three of the young actors in that room did."

Most of Pembleton's little speech at the beginning is verbatim from the book, although in the book it's the narrator speaking to the reader. Detectives don't actually talk like that to each other - it would be ridiculous. But the show doesn't have a narrator so they just have the actors fill it in, which is part of what makes the show feel over-acted (also, it's over-acted). Great show though.Also, according to the source material (the book), Pembleton's magic touch is really only slightly exaggerated in the show.
The whole part of the book where the art of interrogation is being talked about is really great.Great youtube clip too.
Yeah, I might browse back through the book and copy some of those passages here, probably more for myself than for anybody else. It might seem like the 'rules' thing would be cheesy, but it's actually pretty outstanding.
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't buy many DVD's because there aren't many movies or shows worth re-watching. I recently purchased The Wire boxed set. The first two episodes of season one have a commentary that I'll be interested to watch once I finish all 5 seasons. Someone may have already mentioned this but I noticed in the first episode. When we first see Bubbles shooting up, he starts to nod off and blows large spit bubbles. I'm assuming this was on purpose to explain the characters nickname but it was so subtle I hadn't noticed before.

Been watching it from the start again. I think season 5 is much better than people give it credit for, especially when you watch it again. Knowing Marlo's destiny and then watching him execute his plans to control everything is much more enjoyable when you know the results.
  • 2 weeks later...

So I finished the first season.... I haven't read this thread for fear of spoilers, but here are my reactions.1. Going in, I expected it to be similar to The Shield. They are very different shows. The Wire is totally character and reality driven, the Shield is plot and action driven.2. The Wire is definitely a slow burn.3. The writing is flawless. Every character is consistent and believable.4. Omar made the season for me, this element of chaos in an already chaotic environment.5. My only real objection is the strict adherence to realism meant lots of mumbling and slang, and that violated the 4th wall for me. I'd step out of that world and rewind, or ask my wife if she understood what they said. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'd rather be in that world for the whole hour.6. This was one of those shows where I'd wake up at night concerned about the characters, and think about them the next day. Not many shows have ever done that for me.Lots more thoughts, but that's probably enough for now. I'm not sure I'll read any responses for now because of fear of spoilers for seasons 2-7. Too bad this thread didn't begin at the start of the series and get broken into years, or at least match the dates of actual airing.

They need to create a machine that takes away memories so I can have the joy of watching the Wire for the first time again even though watching it over and over a half dozen times is still great.

2. The Wire is definitely a slow burn.5. My only real objection is the strict adherence to realism meant lots of mumbling and slang, and that violated the 4th wall for me. I'd step out of that world and rewind, or ask my wife if she understood what they said. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'd rather be in that world for the whole hour.
2. This is the aspect of the show that pretty much ruined everything else for me. It made me realize how much I love shows that take a while to develop the story instead of just trying to cram as much as possible into each episode to keep people watching. Ever since watching the Wire, I get frustrated by how quickly other shows advance the story. I always wish for them to draw things out more, which most viewers (I think) don't enjoy. 5. I rewound quite a bit. It really took me a while before I felt like I understood a lot of the dialog.

So I went an seen the new Mel Gibson movie Edge Of Darkness and the first two trailers had actors from The Wire. The movie actually has the actor who played Chris Parnell for a small role. I'm glad to see the actors are getting some roles as I've only seen Stringer in another movie that had Beyonce in it and was horrible.Stringer Bell in The Losers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qCvGO1KVVQOmar in Brooklyn's Finest

seems like he has a small part but it looks ****ing awesome.
So I went an seen the new Mel Gibson movie Edge Of Darkness and the first two trailers had actors from The Wire. The movie actually has the actor who played Chris Parnell for a small role. I'm glad to see the actors are getting some roles as I've only seen Stringer in another movie that had Beyonce in it and was horrible.Stringer Bell in The Losers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qCvGO1KVVQOmar in Brooklyn's Finest
Michael K. Williams (Omar) is going to be in the new HBO series Boardwalk Empire as well.
You bitches be pasty yo.
For reals. Regarding that problem though, my old roommate used to watch it with the subtitles turned on. I found it infuriating to watch like that (breaking the 4th wall like crazy, since I couldn't help but read every line and therefore hear it twice), but I didn't have problems with the slang. He swore by it though, and said that after awhile he didn't need the subtitles anymore. Anyways if you think it's hard to understand now, just wait til Snoop shows up! Some of her lines really are like a little puzzle. YAHERD!

'Man said if you wanna shoot nails this here's the Cadillac. He meant Lexus but he didn't know it.'

For whatever reason, that scene and especially that line always stood out to me as very memorable. Also, 'You earnt that bump like a muhfucka.'

For reals. Regarding that problem though, my old roommate used to watch it with the subtitles turned on. I found it infuriating to watch like that (breaking the 4th wall like crazy, since I couldn't help but read every line and therefore hear it twice), but I didn't have problems with the slang. He swore by it though, and said that after awhile he didn't need the subtitles anymore. Anyways if you think it's hard to understand now, just wait til Snoop shows up! Some of her lines really are like a little puzzle. YAHERD!

'Man said if you wanna shoot nails this here's the Cadillac. He meant Lexus but he didn't know it.'

For whatever reason, that scene and especially that line always stood out to me as very memorable. Also, 'You earnt that bump like a muhfucka.'

I never had a problem. My wife on the other hand....ummm ya. One of my fav scenes Tim.

Loves when she just hands the cash over.

To those that "got lost" in the dialogue:You bitches be pasty yo.
Shut it, honky.
For reals. Regarding that problem though, my old roommate used to watch it with the subtitles turned on. I found it infuriating to watch like that (breaking the 4th wall like crazy, since I couldn't help but read every line and therefore hear it twice)
I will openly admit I did the subtitles thing for a brief time. But I encountered the same problem of getting annoyed at reading all the lines and never really watching the show (If I wanted to read for an hour, why the hell am I watching TV?). And Snoop presented a whole new challenge. It wasn't even slang with her, it was that I really couldn't understand most of the words she spoke.

And yeah, Voldy, the cash thing was priceless.

SLots more thoughts, but that's probably enough for now. I'm not sure I'll read any responses for now because of fear of spoilers for seasons 2-7. Too bad this thread didn't begin at the start of the series and get broken into years, or at least match the dates of actual airing.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's only 5 seasons, not 7, alas.

Nice critique Hblask, look forward to reading the rest of them. Interested to heard what you thought of season 2 as theres always different views on it.Seriously can a mod ban pokerpiper? Unless its a joke account leading up to something epic of course.

wow that trailer for Brooklyn's Finest looks amazing. Here is how you can tell the wire is so great. About a year and a half ago since the last season is completed and you have us all talking about the show like it just aired yesterday and to top it off how many of us talk about rewatching the show over and over again. Hell I can spend a lot of time on You Tube just looking at clips from the wire.