• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm away at work on the Forum on Global Engagement (http://www.semesteratsea.org/fge) and during the Q&A of Julian Bond's (former chairman of the board of NAACP) key note address he was asked what television shows he'd recommend. His answer was The Wire and Treme. Good job David Simon.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was obnoxiously hungover so I needed something to watch. I watched a few episodes of season 3 this weekend.Spoilers: In the episode where Omar and his crew have a shootout on the street and Tasha gets killed. I realised that it was actually Dante who killed her, it shows him shooting back twice without looking. The second time Tasha is running behind him and she drops to the ground and has a hole in her forehead so it has to be him.I pride myself on picking up on things that my friends or whatever don't but I've never noticed that before and I've watched it . When I first seen it I immediately complimented myself on my amazing perception but then all the storyline after it made it seem clear about what happened.So was I the only dumbass that didn't realise Dante killed her after watching it 3 times?

So was I the only dumbass that didn't realise Dante killed her after watching it 3 times?
Sorry to say, yes. At the instant it happens it's definitely miss-able, but like you said it becomes very clear in follow-up scenes.
I was obnoxiously hungover so I needed something to watch. I watched a few episodes of season 3 this weekend.Spoilers: In the episode where Omar and his crew have a shootout on the street and Tasha gets killed. I realised that it was actually Dante who killed her, it shows him shooting back twice without looking. The second time Tasha is running behind him and she drops to the ground and has a hole in her forehead so it has to be him.I pride myself on picking up on things that my friends or whatever don't but I've never noticed that before and I've watched it . When I first seen it I immediately complimented myself on my amazing perception but then all the storyline after it made it seem clear about what happened.So was I the only dumbass that didn't realise Dante killed her after watching it 3 times?
I can't lie I was totally confused. I didn't realize it happened till I was watching it on you tube one day and finally put the pieces together. Of course this was after the fact of watching the whole season 3.

I'm just waiting for some more time to pass before re-watching this series again. Thoroughly enjoyed it although I haven't given some of the other recommendations a go yet, like The Shield.

The Shield doesn't come close. Watch The Wire again, you'll be glad you did.The Shield has good action sequences. It's like watching Die Hard - it's not bad and sometimes it's just what you want - but The Wire is like The Godfather, to continue the analogy. It's simply amazing and enthralling storytelling.

The Shield doesn't come close. Watch The Wire again, you'll be glad you did.The Shield has good action sequences. It's like watching Die Hard - it's not bad and sometimes it's just what you want - but The Wire is like The Godfather, to continue the analogy. It's simply amazing and enthralling storytelling.
In fairness to the shield, there's more to it than just action sequences. It's the most delightfully ****ed up show I've ever seen on tv. Almost to the point of absurdity, but for my tastes, if you're going to do a ****ed up show, it's better to err on too much ****ed up than too little ****ed up. Also Vick Mackey is the best TV character of all time, with the possible exception of Al Swearengin of Deadwood The writing doesn't come close to the wire, but it's a great show in it's own right.
That's interesting...I though I read a few people thought the Shield was actually better. Can't hurt to give it a go anyhow. Now that I'm done with The Wire and no more Lost, 24 I'm not really sure where to go next.

My gf and I were recently loaned the entire series on DVD and we just finished S1. I was expecting something a little different, but I can tell you this: I was not disappointed. There was more humour than I was expecting. The characters are very well drawn. The dialogue and action is excellent.This show is NOT like The Shield. While I thought Sheild was good, I found it suffered from MTV-syndrome: overblown, overpaced, frantic and unrealistic. The Shield was fun to watch, but the exaggerations (I think) detracted from a good show.The Wire is a different take on the "procedural" (like L&O), but fleshes things out with a lot more realism than other shows like it.I am enjoying the plotting and pacing. Excellent stuff.

This show is NOT like The Shield. While I thought Sheild was good, I found it suffered from MTV-syndrome: overblown, overpaced, frantic and unrealistic. The Shield was fun to watch, but the exaggerations (I think) detracted from a good show.
Um.. I actually think the exaggerations made the show. If it was dialed back, it just would have been another poorly acted, poorly written cop drama. The exaggerations is what made it different.

two of the best/funniest scenes in the history of television: the xerox lie detector and the serial killer profile. saw both when I was hungover and almost threw up from laughing both times.

For the first time? Did it live up to the hype for you?
yes and yes.
two of the best/funniest scenes in the history of television: the xerox lie detector and the serial killer profile. saw both when I was hungover and almost threw up from laughing both times.
I think my favorite was from season 1 where mcnulty and bunk are working the cold crime scene in the kitchen and the only dialogue is variations of the f bomb. just a perfect scene. i think the xerox scene is based on reality.
yes and yes.
Yeah, I should have realized by the fact that you went through 5 seasons in 6 weeks that you loved it. Wait a few months and you'll probably want to watch it again already.
In fairness to the shield, there's more to it than just action sequences. It's the most delightfully ****ed up show I've ever seen on tv. Almost to the point of absurdity, but for my tastes, if you're going to do a ****ed up show, it's better to err on too much ****ed up than too little ****ed up. Also Vick Mackey is the best TV character of all time, with the possible exception of Al Swearengin of Deadwood The writing doesn't come close to the wire, but it's a great show in it's own right.
That's true, it is more than just dumb action. But a lot of the time it is dumb. The dialog, for example. It is a hell of a thing though, making your protagonist despised and insane. Less like Die Hard I guess, and more like...I can't think of a good analogy. There probably is one though.
I think my favorite was from season 1 where mcnulty and bunk are working the cold crime scene in the kitchen and the only dialogue is variations of the f bomb. just a perfect scene. i think the xerox scene is based on reality.
yeah that scene was right on the tip of my fingers for that post but I wanted to keep it at 2 (for some reason). and yeah, I remember reading somewhere that whichever writer was the cop had actually done the xerox thing, or had seen it done or something.
Um.. I actually think the exaggerations made the show. If it was dialed back, it just would have been another poorly acted, poorly written cop drama. The exaggerations is what made it different.
Yeah, I'll agree with you on that one. It was just so crazy over the top sometimes, I couldn't help but love it and (only a little) hate it at the same time
Yup, The Wire is one of the funniest shows I've seen. A lot of the humor is very subtle too, which I love.
McNulty: "What? What'd I do?"

My friend and I have a constant disagreement over which is better..the Wire or the Shield. I've never seen the Shield...hes never seen the Wire. I try and tell him that Jimmy McNulty is one of the greatest character in any medium ever..he says the same about some guy named Shane. Sigh...

I mean, I could understand if you've never seen the show, but really though, there isn't anybody out there who has actually seen the wire that doesn't agree that it's the best show ever made, is there? it's not really possible.

I mean, I could understand if you've never seen the show, but really though, there isn't anybody out there who has actually seen the wire that doesn't agree that it's the best show ever made, is there? it's not really possible.
I used to think the Sopranos was the best...watching the Wire made me sort of hate the Sopranos. Like, I sort of resented the fact that it wasnt as good.I thought John From Cincinnati was very strong (perhaps it was just plain interesting)....curious to see where it would have gone if it didnt get cancelled.
I watched until the middle of the 3rd season and then it just kinda faded out of my memory. I really need to get back to this series, as I really enjoyed what I've seen.
I used to think the Sopranos was the best...watching the Wire made me sort of hate the Sopranos. Like, I sort of resented the fact that it wasnt as good.
same with me. the sopranos was always my favorite until I watched the wire and then I was like "oh, damn." i was almost kind of embarrassed how much the sopranos had fallen off or me since I had touted them so much in the past.
I watched until the middle of the 3rd season and then it just kinda faded out of my memory. I really need to get back to this series, as I really enjoyed what I've seen.
yeah, for me the 3rd season was almost boring to get through for a lot of it. but seriously, get back to it and get to the fourth. it's the best season of television ever. by a long fucking shot.