my next opponent: antonio esfandiari

I actually picked Antonio to win but think I matched up much better against Howard. Antonio is mucl less predictable and capable of some very bizarre plays which makes playing him difficult. Obviously the goal against Antonio will be to trap him which is much different from the way I played Jerry Buss. Against Jerry I was a machine, playing very aggressively. That approach won't work as well against Antonio because he will take a stand if he is getting pushed around. There are a couple things I'm going to look to exploit, but mostly I'm going to play it by ear and try to adjust to whatever Antonio is trying to do. My guess is that Antonio is going to try to think outside the box and beat me with some unconventional plays so I'll be on the lookout for that. After round one is complete I think we have an hour break so I have no idea when my match will start. I'm in my room now resting up...

I actually picked Antonio to win but think I matched up much better against Howard. Antonio is mucl less predictable and capable of some very bizarre plays which makes playing him difficult. Obviously the goal against Antonio will be to trap him which is much different from the way I played Jerry Buss. Against Jerry I was a machine, playing very aggressively. That approach won't work as well against Antonio because he will take a stand if he is getting pushed around. There are a couple things I'm going to look to exploit, but mostly I'm going to play it by ear and try to adjust to whatever Antonio is trying to do. My guess is that Antonio is going to try to think outside the box and beat me with some unconventional plays so I'll be on the lookout for that. After round one is complete I think we have an hour break so I have no idea when my match will start. I'm in my room now resting up...
When you bust him, please please please, say "Hey ANtonio, how bout this wave?" and start waving good bye at him and saying "Bye bye, bye bye".
When you bust him, please please please, say "Hey ANtonio, how bout this wave?" and start waving good bye at him and saying "Bye bye, bye bye".
:D good luck DN.

Good Luck!For my money, this match will be more entertaining then Daniel/Howard would have been :D

This won't be an easy match by any means for Daniel. I think Daniel will win, but it take a lot of effort to do it as Antonio will be very unpredictable. I think 10-7o will do it

I'm going to pass on a piece of advice a wise man once gave: Forget everything all those books tell you, I've made more money playing 64o than anything else.Daniel NegreanuGo represent Canada!

Forget everything all those books tell you, I've made more money playing 64o than anything else. That could conceivably be true in no limit, but has he said (or would he say) the same about limit play?

Forget everything all those books tell you, I've made more money playing 64o than anything else. That could conceivably be true in no limit, but has he said (or would he say) the same about limit play?
He said that when he won teh Bellagio tourney in Dec. to clinch POY.And no, i doubt he would claim the same in limit. He's not an idiot, after all.
well, the NHUPC is no limit, i think. and i can't say how daniel would respond to your question, but my guess is that it would be a weaker hand in limit because the implied odds just aren't there. however, if your post-flop play is still as great as daniel's, 64o is still just as good.aseem

Don't do anything stupid!(thanks for posting in between - you rock)

And no, i doubt he would claim the same in limit. He's not an idiot, after all.Well, since most of the highly regarded texts regarding poker strategy are based on limit play, I'm not sure I understand the rationale of using no limit results as a basis for arguing that poker texts by people like Sklansky are not worthwhile...

I wonder if anyone will tell Antonio about Daniel's post in time. But, yeah, like he went all-in after Kathy Liebert on Battle of the Sexes... that seems like a great way to bust him and his aggressive style.Or is this one of those... I know that you know that I know etc. Regardless, it will be funny at least to show Antonio this thread if/after Daniel beats him.May the poker gods shine on this competition... seems like there have been many great hands etc so far.

I wonder if anyone will tell Antonio about Daniel's post in time.
Antonio already knows... he uses a crystal ball to watch his opponents every move.GL Daniel.Thumper
Yeah..........that guy is a clown......dont do the wave.....just tell him hes a lucky jackoff!!

From the excerpt at CardPlayer.com, I question Daniel's play vs Antonio (though he might go into detail on this). After a re-re-raise, a call would've been better since that was way too much strength from Antonio. But my feeling is that Daniel just want to end it right there so he took a shot -- and missed.Date / Time: 2005-03-05 22:38:00Title: Daniel Negreanu v. Antonio Esfandiari: A Clash at the Featured TableLog: After a flop of 10-7-5 with two hearts, Antonio Esfandiari bets $2,500, and Daniel Negreanu raises $7,500. Antonio then raises $10,000, Negreanu pushes all in, and Antonio calls. Antonio reveals top set with pocket tens, but Daniel is still alive with the A-K of hearts for a flush draw. But the turn pairs the board with another 7, giving Antonio a full house and clinching the hand, and doubling him up through Daniel. At the end of the hand, Antonio Esfandiari has a powerful chip lead, with roughly $69,000 to Daniel's $11,000.