• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is unbelievable. The United Nations hosted the crew of BSG. http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/03/galactica-un.htmlWhen one of the UN's representatives talked about how part of their mandate was to safeguard the human rights of everyone, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, and station, Olmos got a little heated. "You never should've invited me here," he said, before blasting the UN for continuing to use race as a term of separation, of division among peoples. His voice rose, steadily, as if years of social activism was coming to a head on this night. Then, directing his attention to the high schoolers: "Adults will never be able to stop using the word 'race' as a cultural determinant....There is only one race: the human race. SO SAY WE ALL!"I swear to you, everyone in that chamber shouted it right back at him. Because the Admiral asked us to.youtube of the admiral's speech:

I got very meh about this show, which was a shame because I still think the first 2 seasons are fantastic. I missed some of season 3 and season 4.0 but I think I'm caught up alright.Anyways I'm about 4 or 5 episodes behind so I'm gonna watch those and then watch the finale soon. I hope it's awesome!!Edit: Oh and the beginning of season 3 was excellent. Exodus and all that.

I'm not sure how I feel about the fleet choosing to de-evolve and literally discard all technology. The final 5 sorta just became unimportant after they put their hands in the gooey stuff with sam and the mech guy killed the brown girl. I don't like that Cavil blew his own head off, that was a weak conclusion to one of the most interesting people. I sorta wish the Gaius following had some more imput by the end, instead they just briefly mentioned that the entire fleet was open to havign a clean slate. By the end, its as if politic were no longer important at all, just the utopic views that matched up of a select few.They had some very complex societal issues to deal with and I feel liky they took the safe and easy way to deal with them, but that's to be expected I supposed. I would have prefered a more opionated ending rather than soemthing to fit he mold. The strongest opinion portrayed in the end was one of God, too bad, I would have prefered that been less important to the ultimate outcome.I enjoyed theseries, the 1st half was better than the 2nd half and the ending could have been better, it was not a bad ending, it just wasn't darring enough in my taste.

I also have mixed feelings about the ending. A lot of things did feel rushed to conclusion. I felt the whole episode was on the preachy side, and I thought at times it was almost explicitly religious in a christian sense, but then at the end I was a bit confused about what they were trying to say. The Baltar angel made some comment about their boss/client or something? and there was some comment about him not liking to be called 'god' or whatever, so I didn't really get it. It was really a literal deus ex machina to get them out of a real explanation for all the plot mysteries they created. Kind of a cop-out, imo. Also why would they all disperse to be on their own? wouldn't they stick together on earth? i don't really get why each of them wandered off to random spot. Was Galen's northern island that he wanted to go to supposed to be Ireland where the Gaelic peoples eventually existed?

The trailer for Caprica looked pretty cool. I am looking forward to that.

I also have mixed feelings about the ending. A lot of things did feel rushed to conclusion. [1]I felt the whole episode was on the preachy side, and I thought at times it was almost explicitly religious [2]in a christian sense, but then at the end I was a bit confused about what they were trying to say. The Baltar angel made some comment about their boss/client or something? and there was some comment about him not liking to be called 'god' or whatever, so I didn't really get it. It was really a literal deus ex machina [3]to get them out of a real explanation for all the plot mysteries they created. Kind of a cop-out, imo. Also why would they all disperse to be on their own? wouldn't they stick together on earth? i don't really get why each of them wandered off to random spot. [4]Was Galen's northern island that he wanted to go to supposed to be Ireland where the Gaelic peoples eventually existed? [5]

The trailer for Caprica looked pretty cool. I am looking forward to that.

1. Couldn't agree more.2. This whole angle since season 3(?) has annoyed me, but to have the conclusion rely so heavily on it pissed me off. Which brings me to...3. YES! I'm glad somebody else finally called them on this bullshit instead of consistently and constantly raving about brilliance. Don't get me wrong, there were some wonderfully brilliant spots but when they seemingly painted themselves in a corner they would pull one of the cheapest gimmicks in the book and no one acknowledges the big pink elephant in the room.4. The only reason I can think of is the temptation to maintain a status quo technology wise etc would be to great.5. Scotland or Ireland I think. And it pisses me off to no end to think I might be descended from that idiot.

I didn't mind the religious inferences in the last episode although I could see how it could bug some viewers since it was really in the forefront. I think that part of the problem is that the religious aspects were not really a big part of the plotline and the realism of the show was one of its strengths (as opposed to Lost where it has been apparent for awhile that many of the show's elements are pure fantasy and not realistic). God, angels and demons were all over the place in the last episode.The Starbuck finish was sort of weak as it was basically the Cordelia Chase (BtVS) story/end all over again.At least the Opera House vision was fully explained and it was nice to see Tory get her just rewards at the end.However, I enjoyed BSG over its run and most of my complaints are nitpicks - best scifi tv show from beginning to end and I've seen a bunch.

So the run-up to the finale was pretty great, and the finale itself I have some of the same sentiments already expressed. The show definitely lost its way for awhile (season 3 and the first half of 4) but finally found it again in the last 8 or so episodes. The first half of the finale is outstanding, and then it goes into a Douglas-Adams-inspired thing with a new earth, plus angels and all the rest. I didn't think it was terrible or anything, but for example leaving us with Adama living out his days alone on a mountaintop talking to a dead person isn't terribly satisfying. The very very end was a little silly, especially with Ronald Moore standing there in the foreground reading the paper. In the last half hour they basically revealed that the show is based in historical reality, 150,000 years in the past. But when fake Gaius and Six are wandering around and they hear All Along The Watchtower, I think it woulda been way cooler if they were back in about 1967 and they hear the new Dylan song on the radio, and that's when they realize it's happening again. Then maybe flash forward to the ominous present day robot joke/warning.

I think that part of the problem is that the religious aspects were not really a big part of the plotline and the realism of the show was one of its strengths (as opposed to Lost where it has been apparent for awhile that many of the show's elements are pure fantasy and not realistic). God, angels and demons were all over the place in the last episode.
Religion has been all over BSG since day 1. All they ever talk about was who had the true god between humans and cylons, and Baltar was pretty much a religious figure the last two seasons as well as the whole original search for earth being based on Roslin's religious experiences. If anything the whole series was a little too rooted in religion for my tastes, but the last episode wrapped things up about as good as could be expected.Best sci-fi series ever... I'm not sold on that, but it's in my top 3-5 for sure.
Religion has been all over BSG since day 1. All they ever talk about was who had the true god between humans and cylons, and Baltar was pretty much a religious figure the last two seasons as well as the whole original search for earth being based on Roslin's religious experiences. If anything the whole series was a little too rooted in religion for my tastes, but the last episode wrapped things up about as good as could be expected.Best sci-fi series ever... I'm not sold on that, but it's in my top 3-5 for sure.
Theres a huge difference between religion playing a role in the lives of the characters -- that I thought was pretty cool and realistic -- and 'god' being the explanation for the mysteries in the plot -- which was the opposite of realistic.

Cylons and humans not only end up living together in harmony, they completely dissolve all differentiation between cylons and humans. All that prejudice just vanished when earth appeared.

Theres a huge difference between religion playing a role in the lives of the characters -- that I thought was pretty cool and realistic -- and 'god' being the explanation for the mysteries in the plot -- which was the opposite of realistic.
Baltar was seeing "Angels" from day 1.
Baltar was seeing "Angels" from day 1.
But at that point in the story the explanation for the audience wasn't simply "they are angels". They could have been hallucinations, or holograms implanted into his cylon? brain, or a million other things. Their true nature and reason for appearing to Baltar was a mystery.The final explanation given by the storytellers, "those were actually angels sent by god," is in fact a total non-answer to the mystery they created.
But at that point in the story the explanation for the audience wasn't simply "they are angels". They could have been hallucinations, or holograms implanted into his cylon? brain, or a million other things. Their true nature and reason for appearing to Baltar was a mystery.The final explanation given by the storytellers, "those were actually angels sent by god," is in fact a total non-answer to the mystery they created.
Just because you were not sure what they were doesn't change anything.There are tons of plot holes in the series, but saying religion was thrown in at the end is being blind to what so much of the show was about.
Just because you were not sure what they were doesn't change anything.
It changes everything.
There are tons of plot holes in the series, but saying religion was thrown in at the end is being blind to what so much of the show was about.
Beating a dead horse now, but you always thought they were "angels"? I am surprised by that. No one is saying 'religion was thrown in at the end'. It's science fiction -- it's kind of an assumption of the genre that the audience is going to hold out a natural explanation for the events of the story. Until the final episode there was not a single supernatural explanation for anything in the story. Supernatural explanation in science fiction is a cop-out 99.99% of the time.
Beating a dead horse now, but you always thought they were "angels"? I am surprised by that.
I didn't always think they were angels, I actually never worried about it because I figured they would explain it at some point. I never bought into the chip in the head theories that were floating around. Considering how every character is driven by religion in one way or another it's not shocking at all. Religion was always a centerpiece to the show.
  • 2 weeks later...