What Is A Declare?

I was reading through super system (working on my non-holdem games) and I saw that a lot split games use to have a declare? I was wondering what this is? anyone?Thanks

interesting question, but i have the answer for you.in hi/lo split, they used to make you have to declare before the flop whether you were playing for the hi or lo portion of th epot. this was usually done by putting your hands under the table (so no others could see) and after everyone was reading, putting your hands on the table giving a designated signal (say, palm closed for hi, palm open for lo). this avoided people being able to see what others were choosing first, giving them a preflop advantage. hope this helps,patrick

interesting question, but i have the answer for you.in hi/lo split, they used to make you have to declare before the flop whether you were playing for the hi or lo portion of th epot. this was usually done by putting your hands under the table (so no others could see) and after everyone was reading, putting your hands on the table giving a designated signal (say, palm closed for hi, palm open for lo). this avoided people being able to see what others were choosing first, giving them a preflop advantage. hope this helps,patrick
Thanks a lot, that does help, and would change the game dramatically.

There is a declare in high or low Chicago games as well.You played the game like stud then at the end you would declare if you were going for Chicago (high or low would be designated before the game), stud only, or both poker hand and Chicago. Chicago was spades with ace of spades being the nut high and deuce of spades being nut low.We used three coins to signify which way we were going, by placing them in your right hand under the table. One coin for Chicago, two for stud and three for both. Then, when ready, everyone would place their closed fist on the table and reveal at the same time.

There is a declare in high or low Chicago games as well.You played the game like stud then at the end you would declare if you were going for Chicago (high or low would be designated before the game), stud only, or both poker hand and Chicago. Chicago was spades with ace of spades being the nut high and deuce of spades being nut low.We used three coins to signify which way we were going, by placing them in your right hand under the table. One coin for Chicago, two for stud and three for both. Then, when ready, everyone would place their closed fist on the table and reveal at the same time.
playing like this, would the pots be chopped three way if needed?

Sheesh.Declare, usually played with stud hilo, is done after all seven cards are dealt to everyone. You then choose 0, 1, or 2, as described above, to determine high only, low only, or both ways.If only one person declares a given way, they win half the pot, no question. If it's contested, winner of that way wins that half of the pot.If you declare both ways, typically, you must win both halves to get anything, i.e. have the best hand of all the people declaring high and the best hand of all the people declaring low. If you don't, it's treated as if you didn't have a hand, i.e. lost.Home games are often played like this, any that have stud hilo, at least.

I have played it where you just verbally declared in order, the last guy having the advantage sometimes...he could declare high with anything if nobody else took it and win half, or, chance it if he thought he had both.

i beleve its when the hand is done, before the cards are shown...u need to declare whether ur going hi, lo, or both...
This is correct. Declare adds 2 key components to any hi lo game. 1st is that in order to declare both you must be extremely confident you can scoop or end up winning nothing with the nuts on one end of the perspective. The 2nd is trying to determine what others will declare, to decide which pot is easier to go after. For example you could have 3 pair and win the low if you thought everyone else was going to go high or go high with just a pair if everyone else looked like they were going low. Add in a roll-your-own cards rule to 7 stud hi lo and you got a game full of fun. Daniel introduced it in one of his blogs once don't remember what he called it though, great home game though.
This is correct. Declare adds 2 key components to any hi lo game. 1st is that in order to declare both you must be extremely confident you can scoop or end up winning nothing with the nuts on one end of the perspective. The 2nd is trying to determine what others will declare, to decide which pot is easier to go after. For example you could have 3 pair and win the low if you thought everyone else was going to go high or go high with just a pair if everyone else looked like they were going low. Add in a roll-your-own cards rule to 7 stud hi lo and you got a game full of fun. Daniel introduced it in one of his blogs once don't remember what he called it though, great home game though.
what is that exactly?
I have played it where you just verbally declared in order, the last guy having the advantage sometimes...he could declare high with anything if nobody else took it and win half, or, chance it if he thought he had both.
Where did you get that avatar?
probably stud with 3 cards face down, you get to look at them and then decide what 2 cards will be face down (rolled up)
Correct. The deal is just like 7 stud except all cards are dealt face down and each round the player turns one face up in turn, we play starting where the SB would be around to the button, then action for that round of betting occurs. The game gets into the higher levels of thinking and can be great for bluffing or misleading your opponents as to how you'll declare by what you roll. i.e. concealing trips and showing an 8-6-4-2 board.