Why Does God Take Good People?

O.K., by now you may know that I am what I call a relectant believer, but a believer just the same. If anyone thinks that is stupid or bad, well, I am here lurking right? That can't be a bad thing. I am still on the fence on many religious issues. It's a long journey for some of us I guess.Case in point about being on the fence, and wondering why certain things happen, why does God take good people?I'm talking about the ex game show host that died. You probably have seen him on the Press Your Luck show a few years back, you know, the one that had the contestants screaming "NO WAMMY'S, NO WAMMY'S !".This guy was retired and an accomplished pilot. He was involved witha group called Angels something. They are a non profit group that fly people who can't to hospitals to get medical needs taken care of. He and his wife were going to pick someone up when their plane crashed killing both. Why would God take 2 people who are doing such a great thing? I just don't get it. This is just one example. It seems to happen all the time. Seems like God would want these kind of folks around to show others how to be better.It's all very confusing sometimes...

I have an atheist friend who lives by this, due to his brother having cerebral palsy.He says, why do good things happen to bad people?My answer: We are not to God's level to understand his logic or reasoning.

well it depends on how u want to look at it...in a christians eyes...We are all waiting to be called to Heaven and its really an anxious wait. So as a christian u celebrate another christians going to heaven. If you read Philippians you see Paul struggling with this concept as He wants to be in Heaven but knows for now he is needed on earth.

Who knows what his plan is. Maybe someone will read the story in the paper about all of the good things the Angels did to help people. Their death might inspire countless others to follow in their footsteps.Also, you can look at it another way. Heaven is supposed to be paradise, right? Why would God punish the good people by leaving them here as long as possible? Wouldn't God want to reward good people by bringing them into heaven.--RuffRidr

And perhaps it just happens. Perhaps the weather was bad, or the guy was just a bad pilot. Perhaps as we evolved as a species, we became technoligically savvy enough to build a plane. Then we learned to fly it. And sometimes we do not fly it correctly. Or the plane breaks. And people die. Maybe none of that had anything to do with God.

I appreciate the responses. I know that we do not know his plan, and that he works in mysterious ways, or that it may not have been his doing at all.Just is very confusng sometimes, this mans passing and several family members that were great people. And I know that heaven is the ultimate goal and all, but man. It just seems so crazy sometimes.Thanks for the comments. :club: Peace!

Who knows what his plan is. Maybe someone will read the story in the paper about all of the good things the Angels did to help people. Their death might inspire countless others to follow in their footsteps.Also, you can look at it another way. Heaven is supposed to be paradise, right? Why would God punish the good people by leaving them here as long as possible? Wouldn't God want to reward good people by bringing them into heaven.--RuffRidr
yah i will go with you on this one. We aren't being good people in order to receive rewards in this life.

Here's my thought on this one. It goes along with what Matt said. Our life on earth is very short in comparison to eternity - a blink of an eye. From our current perspective, they lost time for more good deeds they could have done and had their lives "cut short". They are going to their eternal reward and in the long view I think they will are happy with the outcome. There's an old song that says, "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." The fact is none of us are getting out of this alive.

Why does God "take" people? You actually think that God, or whatever incarnation you think that entity is, really has time to differentiate between good and bad? No. Nossir. "Mysterious ways"? Come on. I'll be called an atheist jerk for this, but I don't subscribe to the notion of Destiny, nor am I willing to attribute what happens to a "Greater Plan". Humans and their existence are governed by a random generator and there's no telling where that hurricane, tornado or suicide bomber is going to hit next. You're feeling bad about game show hosts who die in a plane crash? Look across the Atlantic Ocean! There's an entire continent DYING RIGHT BEFORE OUR EYES! Why? It's not God's will. It's Man's will that's killing it, replete with greed, lies and any other excuse big business has to line their coffers, just like every single church has done along the way.

Why does God "take" people? You actually think that God, or whatever incarnation you think that entity is, really has time to differentiate between good and bad? No. Nossir. "Mysterious ways"? Come on. I'll be called an atheist jerk for this, but I don't subscribe to the notion of Destiny, nor am I willing to attribute what happens to a "Greater Plan". Humans and their existence are governed by a random generator and there's no telling where that hurricane, tornado or suicide bomber is going to hit next. You're feeling bad about game show hosts who die in a plane crash? Look across the Atlantic Ocean! There's an entire continent DYING RIGHT BEFORE OUR EYES! Why? It's not God's will. It's Man's will that's killing it, replete with greed, lies and any other excuse big business has to line their coffers, just like every single church has done along the way.
He says time and chance happens to them all- the only ones who have the peace of mind that God has got there back are Christians, everyone else is basically living in a world at the whim of time and chance. Sad reality, and without even believing in God that is plain to see.