Astute Observations, I commend you on your effort of thought. Although, The last thing Brutus said to Caesar was "Great Caesar,-- "The Last thing Caesar says to Brutus is "Et tu, Brute? Then fall, Caesar."I'll have to view it again on HBO on demand today, but I think that is a hard connection to make.
Thanks =)It may not have been the last thing spoken but Pauly's line (I forget the actual quote but it was along the lines of "I live but only to serve you...") was spoken by Brutus to Caeser prior to the betrayal.
  • Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh man, I'm so sad that AJ didn't actually kill himself. He is literally the worst.

Ok. I'm done.   It was good. None of the "surprises" were really surprising. The directing was average to poor. The writing was average at best, but generally below average. The acting was supe

I don't think Tony is dead...If you ever watch any of the behind the scenes stuff with Chase he talks about how important music is to the series. Rewatch the final scene and listen to the music carefully and when it cuts out.Tony has won his was with Phil, but there is so much of his history that can come to haunt him he always has to watch over his shoulder to see who is coming for him. Thats what the final scene was about, being on top of the world and in danger of losing it all at the same time. Whats funny is as bad as most people think that ending was, it's brilliant for the way it was left open to encourage all the discussion that is going on over it today.
Agree to disagree.I think "Don't Stop Believing" represented Tony's optimism of regrouping with his family and moving forward on a positive note. Carmela finally felt safe and secure again, Meadow is in a happy relationship and heading to Law School, AJ took his umpeenth handout and is reaping the benefits of having a father with connections. All was well...... until.... Tony's past caught up with him in a split second, right when he thought everything was going to be ok. Tony is dead. You made the point that Chase holds his chosen music at a high level of symbolic importance. I agree. Hence no music during the end credits after the instant blackness. Tony was shot in the head, didn't see it coming, and then there is nothing....
Meadow is in a happy relationship and heading to Law School
I was trying to figure out why Meadow was having so many problems parking. Then I remembered that Carmella said something about seeing a doctor about birth control. I wonder if she didn't get knocked up and was stressed about telling her parents and it was being played out in her problem trying to parallel park.
I was trying to figure out why Meadow was having so many problems parking. Then I remembered that Carmella said something about seeing a doctor about birth control. I wonder if she didn't get knocked up and was stressed about telling her parents and it was being played out in her problem trying to parallel park.
I hope you're not serious.
I hope you're not serious.
Was a theory I read on another forum. Why would Carmella bring up birth control at all in the final episode if it didn't mean something? I find it a lot more feasible than Christopher being reincarnated as a cat.
Was a theory I read on another forum. Why would Carmella bring up birth control at all in the final episode if it didn't mean something? I find it a lot more feasible than Christopher being reincarnated as a cat.
Sorry I don't see how Meadow being unable to park her car has anything to do with her being worried about breaking the news to her parents that she has a bun in the oven. It seems totally irrelevant to what was happening at the end, not to mention it doesn't make sense.As for the cat being Christopher.... I thought that was pretty obvious, not a stretch by any means.
As for the cat being Christopher.... I thought that was pretty obvious, not a stretch by any means.
Yea, in the six seasons of the Sopranos they covered reincarnation a lot...You ever been a pregnant girl having to go tell your parents that your pregnant, don't think it's stressful at all?
Yea, in the six seasons of the Sopranos they covered reincarnation a lot...You ever been a pregnant girl having to go tell your parents that your pregnant, don't think it's stressful at all?
you're missing the point
Feel free to explain then.
So you're saying that the culminating moment of the entire series revolved around Meadow's reluctance to tell her parents that she is pregnant, simply because Carmela had mentioned birth control? I think the birth control comment served as a reinforcement that Meadow is now a grown woman and is free to make her own decisions. She can choose to use birth control, she chose to pursue law, partially if not completely due to her own naivety about what her father really is - a cold blooded sociopath. She wanted to protect the rights of innocent Italian Americans being unfairly persecuted by the government. She said herself that if she hadn't seen Tony being dragged out by the FBI all those times she'd probably be in med school. Despite her purported independenant nature throughout the series Tony ultimately influenced her life decisions. Also, another point about the birth control. Tony has always been old school. Season 3: "Look outside... 2003 out there... 1954 in here...understand?" Birth control is something he probably would've frowned upon since it legitmizes premarital sex but he has grown to accept that times have changed. The ending was an attempt to show how far Tony's family had come, what point in their lives each of them were at, and despite his success in one aspect of his life (his nuclear family) his other world intersected at the final moment.
So you're saying that the culminating moment of the entire series revolved around Meadow's reluctance to tell her parents that she is pregnant, simply because Carmela had mentioned birth control?
No, thats not what I am saying. There are a lot of things going on in the final scene, that was possibly one of them.One theory I read instead of the screen going black to symbolize Tony getting shot, it might just be just the blacking out of us getting to look in on thier lives as it goes on. All thats left is speculation.
my 2 cents..Pauly did in fact betray Tony. He was in cahoots with Butch and the other guys over at NY and the plan was to wipe out both Phil and Tony and assume control of both NY and NJ for themselves. The last thing he said to Tony, in front of Satriales, was the same thing Brutus said to Ceasar before he betrayed him. Anyone else catch that? As for Meadow not being able to parallel park, I think it symbolized her "almost getting away" from the life (law school etc) but in reality she was doomed from the beginning. You can not change what you are born into. Chase wanted us to want her to somehow miss whatever horrible thing was about to happen in the diner, and naturally we were all rooting for her because she is the only purity in the Soprano family. Anyone notice how Tony ate his onion ring? Instead of biting into it he placed it on his tongue as if it were the Eucharist, symbolizing him taking his last rights. The guy at the bar was a hitman, and yes he was going into the bathroom to get the murder weapon, most likely a pistol, and yes the screen cutting to black represented the "lights out" effect of being capped in the head and not even seeing it coming. Also Chase threw in a little hint of irony. Anyone remember what Tony's favorite movie scene was? Yup, from the Godfather. ...Michael Corleone grabbing the pistol out of the bathroom and assisinating that guy in the restaurant. They've alluded to that a few times throughout the series. A couple other moments of symbolism...Pauly sitting out in front of Satriales all alone sunning himself represented him being the last man standing in NJ from the original crew. Everyone else is dead, and Tony is soon to be. What a great shot of him from the other side of the street sitting all alone where they all used to sit. The cat was Christopher reincarnated. The fact that Agent Harris was preoccupied with possible terrorist activity and gave Tony the cold shoulder only sheds light on how insignificant Tony's world really is in comparison to the real important issues. Did you notice how he reacted when his colleague came in and told him Phil Leotardo had been whacked? He said "woohoo we're gonna win this thing!" Organized crime had become merely a game to him that was an escape from his real work in the anti-terror unit. GOOOOO JERSEY!!!! It really put things in perspective for me. Overall I thought the ending was brilliant. And Chase paid homage to the true Sopranos fan, fully knowing that it would fly right over the heads of most viewers. It took balls, and I wouldnt have expected anything less of him.For what its worth...
I think this is well said and mostly on point. Last night, the thought that Paulie sold out tony popped into my head. Remember NY said they were going to take out the top 3 of the jersey family, Tony, Bobby and Sil, and deal with whoever came out on top. Maybe Paulie decided he wanted to see what it would be like to be on top. Also, even one of the NY guys was surprised Bobby was on the list. Didn't anyone else think Paulie would be above Bobby in the Sopranos hierarchy?Paulie always bristled at authority, even Tony's, and is easily the most cold-blooded character on the show. The more I think about it, the more I believe Pauly either ordered or didn't object to the hit on Tony and has set himself up as the Jersey Boss.I would love to rewatch every episode and see if the 'hitter' had ever been on a show before, maybe he knew Paulie. And how anyone thinks the switch to black was anything but tony's lights going out is beyond me. They lived a life of constant danger and tony getting shot by some unknown gunman i think is what chase was trying to say about the whole lifestyle. You can be sitting there eating dinner with the family one second, and dead the next.
I think this is well said and mostly on point. Last night, the thought that Paulie sold out tony popped into my head. Remember NY said they were going to take out the top 3 of the jersey family, Tony, Bobby and Sil, and deal with whoever came out on top. Maybe Paulie decided he wanted to see what it would be like to be on top. Also, even one of the NY guys was surprised Bobby was on the list. Didn't anyone else think Paulie would be above Bobby in the Sopranos hierarchy?Paulie always bristled at authority, even Tony's, and is easily the most cold-blooded character on the show. The more I think about it, the more I believe Pauly either ordered or didn't object to the hit on Tony and has set himself up as the Jersey Boss.I would love to rewatch every episode and see if the 'hitter' had ever been on a show before, maybe he knew Paulie. And how anyone thinks the switch to black was anything but tony's lights going out is beyond me. They lived a life of constant danger and tony getting shot by some unknown gunman i think is what chase was trying to say about the whole lifestyle. You can be sitting there eating dinner with the family one second, and dead the next.
The guy you are calling a gunman is listed as "guy in the dunner" in the credits. I read another forum where they were tracking down if he was ever in another episode and they can't find him in one.The blackout could easily symbolize the end of our look into their world. In the end, the only person that got whacked was the viewer.
The guy you are calling a gunman is listed as "guy in the dunner" in the credits. I read another forum where they were tracking down if he was ever in another episode and they can't find him in one.The blackout could easily symbolize the end of our look into their world.
It could, but I think the sopranos started when Tony fought for control of the family with Junior, after Jackie Aprile died.I think chase chronicled the life of a New Jersey Mob boss and the show ended when the boss ended.

You know, I DL'd this on Utorrent, and I thought that they just cut off the torrent.. I was so pissed.. I didn't even keep the view open to see the credits.. I had to rewatch the ending...and I agree, almost entirely with crack.. brilliant posts man.. I absolutely love the ending....I don't think Paulie betrayed Tony, how ever... if he was going to betray Tony, why would he have made such a fuss about taking over the construction crew? Why wouldn't he just thank tony right off the bat, feigning appreciation, so not to cause waves? Paulie was the most singularly loyal person to tony, and the only times he started going over to New York is when Tony wasn't treating him with the respect paulie thought he deserved.. Paulie's like.. identity is tied in with Tony, with being Tony's guy... he just wanted a little acknowledgment of his faithfulness and loyalty. The only thing, and this is petty, fanboyish, and specific to me ( I love Paulie Wallnuts and Cold war era soviet block stuff).. but.. I can't believe they never did anything with that Russian guy paulie shot back in like season three... that was my all time favorite episode... and since they never found the body, I always envisioned they'd been slow playing his return to seek out vengeance on Paulie

You know, I DL'd this on Utorrent, and I thought that they just cut off the torrent.. I was so pissed.. I didn't even keep the view open to see the credits.. I had to rewatch the ending...and I agree, almost entirely with crack.. brilliant posts man.. I absolutely love the ending....I don't think Paulie betrayed Tony, how ever... if he was going to betray Tony, why would he have made such a fuss about taking over the construction crew? Why wouldn't he just thank tony right off the bat, feigning appreciation, so not to cause waves? Paulie was the most singularly loyal person to tony, and the only times he started going over to New York is when Tony wasn't treating him with the respect paulie thought he deserved.. Paulie's like.. identity is tied in with Tony, with being Tony's guy... he just wanted a little acknowledgment of his faithfulness and loyalty. The only thing, and this is petty, fanboyish, and specific to me ( I love Paulie Wallnuts and Cold war era soviet block stuff).. but.. I can't believe they never did anything with that Russian guy paulie shot back in like season three... that was my all time favorite episode... and since they never found the body, I always envisioned they'd been slow playing his return to seek out vengeance on Paulie
That's what was great about this show, i think. There were a million little loose ends, unexplored avenues, dead ends...just like real life.
It could, but I think the sopranos started when Tony fought for control of the family with Junior, after Jackie Aprile died.I think chase chronicled the life of a New Jersey Mob boss and the show ended when the boss ended.
I'm sure there will be some behind the scenes stuff when the DVD comes out and maybe we will get to hear Chase's take on the finale.
That's what was great about this show, i think. There were a million little loose ends, unexplored avenues, dead ends...just like real life.
yeah, I know.. but i mean.. I LOVED that Russian..
I'm sure there will be some behind the scenes stuff when the DVD comes out and maybe we will get to hear Chase's take on the finale.
We had frieken better...

The problem with this finale, is it pales in comparison to the Six Feet Under finale.Also I found this tidbit on another forum...

HBO also confirmed this morning that the Italian at the counter is just some random guy, he is not the one that played Phil's cousin. The two black guys are also not the same ones that were used for the episode where Tony got shot.
I'm trying to track down a link for the official source on this, but I am a little busy at work today.*Apparently that info is from the NY times TV reporter, still trying to track down a link.MSNBC link - They don't think Tony is dead.
Link to who the guy at counter was...
Paolo Colandrea, owner of Paul's Penndel Pizza, last month filmed a potentially pivotal scene for the final episode of “The Sopranos,” the groundbreaking HBO mob drama that says goodbye at 9 Sunday night.Colandrea, 47, describes his role as simply “mystery man,” a guy who walks into a diner and locks eyes ominously with Tony, who's sitting at a table with wife, Carmela, and son, A.J. Colandrea sits down at the counter, stares at Tony again, gets up to go the bathroom