Home Game Annoyance?

anyone else ever have a problem with people trying to get into your game late? how do you handle it?i have a thursday game that seats 9-max due to space and time restrictions. i send out an email every tuesday, telling people to email me back to lock up a seat.the game always fills up, there's a wait list, and if someone cancels the wait-listers get a seat.it seems like every week, though, i have someone calling me asking for a favor--can i get in, what's it gonna take, we're friends, do me a favor, etc., even though they're like 4th on the wait list. the other problem is that my gf plays and they'll call her and start hassling her about it, and she absolutely can't seem to say no to people...i keep a small web site with past results and announcements and stuff, but so far i don't put the players who have seats on the site. i guess even if i did, it probably wouldn't stop this kind of crap...

Why not just start two tables evenly until you have enough for one? Sweetens the pot. If you aren't cool with that then just send a message in your weekly e-mail stating how it is with no exceptions.
we seriously have enough room for one table only, and since it's a weeknight and the game has rebuys we cap it at 9 so it doesn't go past midnight.anyway, the email already says no exceptions. does it stop people? not even close.
Why don't you open up at a set time and make it first come first serve. People who want to play will get there first.
it is that way. these people are aware that it's first come first served. they seem to not care, though.
it is that way. these people are aware that it's first come first served. they seem to not care, though.
I don't understand. Your original post talks about people calling and e-mailing to lock up a seat and you have a problem with people showing up late and now you say it's first come first served. :club: What exactly is the problem you're having?
start at 7 and if you don't get here by 7:30 you aren't playing, no exceptions, it is the only way to elminate the hassle. You have to train your friends, it only takes a few weeks and they will learn.
I don't understand. Your original post talks about people calling and e-mailing to lock up a seat and you have a problem with people showing up late and now you say it's first come first served. :club: What exactly is the problem you're having?
i guess i should be more clear.the game fills up when people, in order of emailing back, lock up a seat.then the late-responders get wait listed.the problem starts when people who might not even be on the wait list, who didn't both to respond to the initial email at all, start busting my chops to get into the game--sometimes hours before it begins.i mean, i tell em no, i'm not adding a seat or putting you past people on the wait list, but i'm looking for a way to discourage it altogether because it's such a headache.

if you're on the list you play - there is a max number of seats. If you are not one of the first 8, you don't play. No shows should be responsible for their buy-in if they do not provide 4 hour notice and don't show.Seriously, just send out an e-mail and say this is how it'll be.

I hate when my friends come over without their money and tell me to put it on their tab, that they will "win it back anyways." Hell no, go down the street to the pub and get a freakin tab there you cheap bastard! I seem to be the only one in the group that wont allow it......CRAZY.

next time someone tries to pull some "let me in even though i don't have a spot" crap, stab him in the eye with a pencil. That'll discourage future abuse.
Agreed... but you better stab him twice for good measure

Like the home game I am in, first come first seated. And why do you have a problem with people showing up late. It keeps the game full and brings in more money...

I say stick to your waiting list. If people want to blow you to move up, so be it. If they want to stick around to wait for a seat or another small game to start up, then i say "Bitch, get in the kitchen and make some sammiches. Make yourself useful!" But, seriously, if you have a list, stick to it, otherwise you're asking for hassles when someone wants to call in a favor. Are you trying to get a game going or be the most popular G on the block? Ask yourself!

Here's a more serious and hopefully helpful response.I think the whole e-mail to reserve is a great idea and once played in a cash game like it, worked well. One thing you might do is to send out an email to all the peeps on your list when the game has filled up, so that you don't get emails. You may or may not provide the names of those playing depending on the class of players (i.e., are reserved players going to get calls asking for their seats). You could also add a footnote that anybody emailing from that point forward will be waitlisted and contacted if there's an opening, but unless they get a cancellation the seats are set in stone. This might at least discourage, or make it look publicly tacky, to call just prior to a game. Maybe even send a game day update email in the afternoon, affirming that the lineup is set and that any other cancellations will not be replaced by the waitlist or any other player. This could shut off your day-of calls and help to leave your gf alone.Good luck and props to you for hosting such pesky players