play money poker: good or bad?

Most of us got our start with online poker via the play money games. It's risk-free, safe and generally a good way to learn the game. Or is it? I wonder if extensive time spent at play money tables only encourages bad poker habits in an environment where there really is no more at stake than ego, if that. I no longer do the play money games for this reason, because people there play every single hand and chase hands right to the river regardless of hand strength or odds. I found the transition from play money to real money a bit of a shock, it seemed like a completely different game.I see Chris Moneymaker (and Fossilman) in the Pokerstars TV ads always saying he plays pokerstars.net (play money) to "tweak" his game. Ya right. I doubt it. Any thoughts?

I think it teaches a lot of bad habits that you will have to unlearn later. But then again you could say that about .5/1 too
well said. i think its only useful for learning the software of the site and whether or not you like it. other then that, even though most of them suck, i'd say poker video games are better ways to learn the game. at least the computer is trying to beat you and not just screwin around.

I think there is a limited amount of knowledge to gain from play money games (aside from learning the software, what it feels like to sit at your computer for hours, etc) but you can learn.I approached the play money tables (knowing nothing about poker although I thought I knew quite a bit) just to log time. I knew it would be like penny ante poker and that people would chase chase chase, because there was no STAKE in the game.That said I did learn about pot odds - I figured out the rough idea of making people pay for their draws. I learned about BR management and variance - just because you have enough fake money to buy in at a higher limit doesn't mean you should (if you value your fake money :wink: ). I learned how much better some people were than me, as I cleaned up at low limit tables and then got cleaned out at higher limit ones. And I got a general idea of how often cards came out on the board and how often I got dealt PPs, etc. Of course I also learned lots of bad habits, some of which I probably haven't even recognized yet and some of which I have erased from my game to vastly improve it.I think it was time well enough spent. Also, I found that the play money SnGs on Party were an intermediate step, where you didn't have to gamble real money but people still seemed to assign their chips some value.

I think there is a limited amount of knowledge to gain from play money games (aside from learning the software, what it feels like to sit at your computer for hours, etc) but you can learn.I approached the play money tables (knowing nothing about poker although I thought I knew quite a bit) just to log time. I knew it would be like penny ante poker and that people would chase chase chase, because there was no STAKE in the game.That said I did learn about pot odds - I figured out the rough idea of making people pay for their draws. I learned about BR management and variance - just because you have enough fake money to buy in at a higher limit doesn't mean you should (if you value your fake money :wink: ). I learned how much better some people were than me, as I cleaned up at low limit tables and then got cleaned out at higher limit ones. And I got a general idea of how often cards came out on the board and how often I got dealt PPs, etc. Of course I also learned lots of bad habits, some of which I probably haven't even recognized yet and some of which I have erased from my game to vastly improve it.I think it was time well enough spent. Also, I found that the play money SnGs on Party were an intermediate step, where you didn't have to gamble real money but people still seemed to assign their chips some value.
Good points all around. So I guess the answer is - there is limited benefit from playing at these games. One trait I recall, even at the higher stakes play tables, was the utter lack of restraint and poker sense. Example: The tilts are like clockwork: bad beat is followed almost always with a frustrated all-in play. Far less common at cash games.The other thing that comes to mind: play money is where all the kiddies (not old enough to gamble) spend all their time, so that seems to be reflected in the maturity level and quality of play. 'Nuff said.

worthless. utterly worthless.no one takes it seriously. its better to learn at micro limits while reading books and observing other players...some of the more advanced AI programs/games are wayyyyy better than play money.

I agree with the previous posts. Pretty much the only value is learning how the game works. Not how to play the game. For people who haven't played before its a good way to learn the rules the value of hands. Such as for me when i started i got confused sometimes with the whole top 5 card thing. Mostly when hands got counterfeited i wouldn't realize it and still think my 98 was good on a board of AJJ98. But as for how you should play the game and learning how other people play, play money sucks.

I stared out with play chips, and finally made a deposit after 3 months. I sucked at first, and lost the $100 I put in. Then I put in $200, and worked my way up. And I was more focused when I was playing with my own money. And if you are scared to lose money, you shouldn't play poker.

I think that if some sites make tables with high enough limits then more people would play more carefully. It is only a learning experience if you are playing to win and if you care about whether you lose or not. I think enough people have play money on say, Pokerstars that they should have a 1k/2k or 4k/8k NLHE table or something.

Play money is awesome...it makes the fish feel strong...then we eat them.
I like your avatar but you prob. won't be able to have it for long.
Why can't I have the avatar for long? Are they cracking down?
Yeah nipples aren't allowed but you MIGHT get away with it. It MIGHT be on the line. Personally, I'm hoping its okay. :club:
Play money is awesome...it makes the fish feel strong...then we eat them.
I like your avatar but you prob. won't be able to have it for long.
Why can't I have the avatar for long? Are they cracking down?
Yeah nipples aren't allowed but you MIGHT get away with it. It MIGHT be on the line. Personally, I'm hoping its okay. :club:
I miss that dancing monkey looking thing personally
Most of us got our start with online poker via the play money games. It's risk-free, safe and generally a good way to learn the game. Or is it? I wonder if extensive time spent at play money tables only encourages bad poker habits in an environment where there really is no more at stake than ego, if that. I no longer do the play money games for this reason, because people there play every single hand and chase hands right to the river regardless of hand strength or odds. I found the transition from play money to real money a bit of a shock, it seemed like a completely different game.I see Chris Moneymaker (and Fossilman) in the Pokerstars TV ads always saying he plays pokerstars.net (play money) to "tweak" his game. Ya right. I doubt it.  Any thoughts?
its given me the free happy go lucky gambling agressive style that i use today that has won me many a dollar so yeah i think its good to start with play money. makes you not care about the money, i view real money online as real money because of my many years as a play money player, although i dont play play money anymore though

The play money tables teach you how to play on a dream table. A table where nobody folds and your big hands get paid off huge. However, you won't find those tables anymore when you go to real money tables.Your hands get paid off so well on the play money tables that your leaks get masked. You'll think you know how to play. But you won't. Because the pots are so big, you always have pot odds to chase damn near anything. Remember, most of the people playing the play tables are mainly using them as a chat interface, so the poker is actually secondary.A better option is the freeroll tournaments. If you can survive the first hour or so with a decent amount of chips, the play gets a little better. Better than the play money cash games, at least.The play money sit-n-go's usually don't last long enough to be useful.

worthless. utterly worthless.no one takes it seriously. its better to learn at micro limits while reading books and observing other players...some of the more advanced AI programs/games are wayyyyy better than play money.
play money isn't really taken seriously... except I remember playing on pokerstars play money and selling my play money chips for real money on paypal.. damn those were the days@