question for daniel

so my first instinct would be this is an alias; posting to wind somebody up.my 2nd would be to let this person know that the bible she quotes also mentions not judging others and in attacking decisions made under one's one free will; she's doing just that. but anyway, it was b.s. like this that drove me completely agnostic.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who are you to judge daniel and call him out on how he lives his life? i can think of alot more worse things than staying up all nite and drinkinanyways, if you are critisizing him for that, then you must not play poker....your in the wrong message board hun...

Daniel, I am a big fan, but some things that have been said consern me....You had said in an earlier journal entry you were a Christian but I read in another journal entry about you drinking so much you couldn't drive home and you slept in your car. Well I am sure since you annouced you were a Christian that you believe in the bible and what it has to say. Take these verses for instance: Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.Galations 5: 19-21To me, that is biblical proof that drinking is wrong. Not to mention that in 2 Cor. 6:17 it says "Therefore "Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you." :D Emily[/i]
im not a very religious person at all.i was raised catholic,but my wife is christian..seems to me that most of the wars and killing throughout history have been because of relegion...i think its good if you get some sort of peace from the bible..that being said,,i also hope that you are no so unintelligent that you take it literally...you need to apply it to todays lifestyle and not just momorize words on a page to use against somebody that you dont agree with later...i mean not for nothing, going by the bible gambling is a sin right? i drink and gamble,,am i a good person...yes..i feel bad for ppl that let words on a page define who and what they are...
Daniel, I am a big fan, but some things that have been said consern me....You had said in an earlier journal entry you were a Christian but I read in another journal entry about you drinking so much you couldn't drive home and you slept in your car. Well I am sure since you annouced you were a Christian that you believe in the bible and what it has to say. Take these verses for instance: Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.Galations 5: 19-21To me, that is biblical proof that drinking is wrong. Not to mention that in 2 Cor. 6:17 it says "Therefore "Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you." :D Emily[/i]
Wow. "Let he who is without sin..." Can we read your blog and interrogate you on your latest imperfections? What does The Bible say about gambling anyway? Or perhaps being judgemental?Nikki
Why do you guys keep critisizing the original poster of being judgmental? She's quoting the Bible, the book of God, who does have the right to be judgmental. The only semi-judgmental thing she said was that to her, drinking is wrong. It seems like anytime a Christian has an opinion on anything, atheists always jump on them for being judgmental. Christians have a moral code, but they aren't robots. They are still human and do their best to figure things out. She's only looking for Daniel's take on the situation, I can hardly believe everyone is jumping down her throat for this.
Emily,I have no problem with the bible or your wanting to "save" Daniel. But don't you think it would've been better to send him a private message instead?"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven." Mathew 6:1
Agreed, that probably would have been a smarter way to go.

first off just being a "good" person does not mean you automattically go to heaven....another thing I am a fan of poker, I watch it on TV, I play a little for fun(play money) online, I don't actually go out and play for real money. I know people love to throw out the whole "don't judge me" phrase but like I said you are judged by your fruits.....I never once said I was perfect...I said everyone makes mistakes(including me) I just don't drink and I don't think it is a gray area when it comes to what the bible has to say about it. Don't get mad at me for just stating what the bible has to say one the subject of drinking.

on the situation, I can hardly believe everyone is jumping down her throat for this.
oh.i can hardly believe that this is something she should have confronted him with on a public message board, but to each their own.
Wow. "Let he who is without sin..." Can we read your blog and interrogate you on your latest imperfections? What does The Bible say about gambling anyway? Or perhaps being judgemental?Nikki
Why do you guys keep critisizing the original poster of being judgmental? She's quoting the Bible, the book of God, who does have the right to be judgmental. The only semi-judgmental thing she said was that to her, drinking is wrong. It seems like anytime a Christian has an opinion on anything, atheists always jump on them for being judgmental. Christians have a moral code, but they aren't robots. They are still human and do their best to figure things out. She's only looking for Daniel's take on the situation, I can hardly believe everyone is jumping down her throat for this.
I disagree. I think that putting a post on an open forum with quotes from The Bible and expressing "concern" for him and referencing his blog come across very much like holier than thou judgement. If she wanted his take, the question should have been more like, "Hey Dan, what's your take, as a Christian, on drinking?" I know that as a Christian, witnessing is a very important part of the faith, but putting someone on the spot in a public forum is inappropriate. I agree with the poster that recommended a private message to state "concern".Nikki
first off just being a "good" person does not mean you automattically go to heaven....another thing I am a fan of poker, I watch it on TV, I play a little for fun(play money) online, I don't actually go out and play for real money. I know people love to throw out the whole "don't judge me" phrase but like I said you are judged by your fruits.....I never once said I was perfect...I said everyone makes mistakes(including me) I just don't drink and I don't think it is a gray area when it comes to what the bible has to say about it. Don't get mad at me for just stating what the bible has to say one the subject of drinking.
this is a poker forum hun, not a bible forum...if you want to accuse someone of lying and call them unmoral, unethical, etc., then do it through PM or e-mail....
on the situation, I can hardly believe everyone is jumping down her throat for this.
oh.i can hardly believe that this is something she should have confronted him with on a public message board, but to each their own.
Correct, and if you look a post down from the one you found that quote, you will find that I agree with you. I just think some people are being unnecessarily critical and sarcastic.

religious fanatics are starting to pop up everywhere,,...whats next..in a crack house? christian crackheads for more pure crack? bible beaters for more booze? theres a time and place for everything,,,this wasnt the place for a religious discussion...you should have emailed danny and spared the forum ...

"Why do you guys keep critisizing the original poster of being judgmental? She's quoting the Bible, the book of God, who does have the right to be judgmental. The only semi-judgmental thing she said was that to her, drinking is wrong. It seems like anytime a Christian has an opinion on anything, atheists always jump on them for being judgmental. Christians have a moral code, but they aren't robots. They are still human and do their best to figure things out. She's only looking for Daniel's take on the situation, I can hardly believe everyone is jumping down her throat for this."I’m not criticizing her (or you) for being judgmental; I’m criticizing the choice to do it publicly when sending Daniel a private message would’ve been a much more Christian way of handling it.And, I resent your implication that I, or anyone else that takes issue with this, is an athiest.

wow this was ballsy... i'm sure you find a passage that says you shouldn't be gambling either... I know plenty of Christians that really enjoy their wine....

I disagree. I think that putting a post on an open forum with quotes from The Bible and expressing "concern" for him and referencing his blog come across very much like holier than thou judgement. If she wanted his take, the question should have been more like, "Hey Dan, what's your take, as a Christian, on drinking?" I know that as a Christian, witnessing is a very important part of the faith, but putting someone on the spot in a public forum is inappropriate. I agree with the poster that recommended a private message to state "concern".Nikki
I won't disagree with you here. Your idea of asking "Hey Dan, what's youu take, as a Christian, on drinking?" would definitely have been a smarter idea. I also agreed with the private message idea as you will see if you look at some of my later posts (wow I've posted a lot on this subject).

Okay I just spent a half hour finding this script so I can post it. I'll post it in the second half of my rant.First off, you're coming into a den of a bunch of gamblers talking about sin. If you expect the majority of us to take you any more seriously than the nut on the corner preaching about civilization's ruin, then you're seriously tilting worse than any of us. Most of us here certainly don't wish to be looked down upon. We drink because we drink, we gamble because we gamble, and most of us do that. If I were Daniel, I wouldn't be responding to ANY of these outright attacks. You're not here to ask him a question, you're here on a crusaide to not only guilt him, but to guilt others.Well, Missy, it won't work on me- I hope a moderater comes along and deletes this crap- because the last thing we need is a zealot preaching to us in our own house.You don't see any of us going to your church and holding up a sign for Women's abortion rights or homosexual rights, do you? Don't come in ours.----This is from The West Wing, and personally one of my favorite monologes from all of TV.Martin Sheen, who plays president Barlet, is a liberal democrat- however he's got strong Christan views.Jenna Jacobs is a "famous" radio host who gives advice on her show.

BARTLETForgive me, Dr. Jacobs. Are you an M.D.?JENNA JACOBSPh.D.BARTLETA Ph.D.?JENNA JACOBSYes, sir.BARTLETIn Psychology?JENNA JACOBSNo sir.BARTLETTheology?JENNA JACOBSNo.BARTLETSocial work?JENNA JACOBSI have a Ph.D. in English Literature.BARTLETI'm asking, 'cause on your show, people call in for advice and you go by the name of Dr. Jacobs on your show. And I didn't know if maybe your listeners were confused by that, and assumed you had advanced training in Psychology, Theology, or health care.JENNA JACOBSI don't believe they are confused, no sir.BARTLETGood. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.JENNA JACOBSI don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President. The Bible does.BARTLETYes, it does. Leviticus.JENNA JACOBS18:22BARTLETChapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. (small chuckles from the guests) She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, and always clears the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff, LeoO McGarry, insists on working on the Sabbath, Exodus 35:2, clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important, 'cause we've got a lot of sports fans in this town. Touching the skin of a dead pig makes us unclean, Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother, John, for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Jenna Jacobs fidgets uncomfortably.BARTLETThink about those questions, would you? One last thing, while you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tightass Club, in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.Jenna Jacobs squirms in her seat but doesn't rise. Bartlet glares meaningfully at her. She finally rises out of her seat.
"Why do you guys keep critisizing the original poster of being judgmental? She's quoting the Bible, the book of God, who does have the right to be judgmental. The only semi-judgmental thing she said was that to her, drinking is wrong. It seems like anytime a Christian has an opinion on anything, atheists always jump on them for being judgmental. Christians have a moral code, but they aren't robots. They are still human and do their best to figure things out. She's only looking for Daniel's take on the situation, I can hardly believe everyone is jumping down her throat for this."I’m not criticizing her (or you) for being judgmental; I’m criticizing the choice to do it publicly when sending Daniel a private message would’ve been a much more Christian way of handling it.And, I resent your implication that I, or anyone else that takes issue with this, is an athiest.
My apologies, didn't mean to imply that everyone was an athiest.
One....the bible was inspired by God and it was written to show us how we should live our lives and yes you should follow it. The Bible also says that you will be judged by your fruits and in the fruits of the flesh "drunkenness" and like the bible says "those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. " Yes, people make mistakes and can ask for forgiveness and go to Heaven, but to me, it didn't sound like he[Daniel] felt like he was doing anything that he would need to ask forgiveness for when he stayed up drinking all nightnow to the wine in the bible...like I have said in a previous post. The wine in the bible was new wine meaning unfermented. :D Emily
I am a very devout Christian and poker player, and I joined to forum just for this argument. I first want to start out by saying that most everything Emily has said about scripture has been taken out of context.To begin with, yes, the Bible does say that being drunk is wrong, but it by no means says that if you are a Christian and you drink that you will not go to heaven. The verses that she quoted about "not inheriting the kingdom of God" apply to non-Christians who face judgement. The reality is that Christ died to free you from this judgement if you choose to accept it. Romans 8:1 says "there is no condemnation in Jesus Christ." To say that you can be a Christian, and still do something so bad that it will send you to hell is a blasphemous mockery of the sacrifice of Christ. You are basically saying that Him dying was not enough to save you.Second, yes, wine in the Bible WAS different, but it was the only thing they had. If you wanted to get drunk back then, you drank the same wine that Jesus made out of water. And lastly, I challenge you to find one verse that says that after you become a Christian, you must ask forgiveness for every single sin that you commit. If this is the case, then why in the world are you wasting your time on poker websites when you should be confessing for the pride that you displayed in your previous posts? The whole reason Christ died is because it is impossible for us to be holy on our own. Only when you understand this will you truly know the joy that comes from the freedom of Christ. Sorry for my post being so long.
I did it on the board b/c I not only wanted Daniel to know about that verse in the bible, but I wanted everyone to know. I fear that you will think "Well Daniel is a Christian and he drinks so I guess it's ok if I drink too." :D Emily
yes emily, you are correct i often read danny's journal to see how i should be acting....what the hell are we 9 years old....if daniel cold calls 3 bets with 3 8 os does that mean we all will....well maybe i would try it ..once lol...none of us are so moronic to say "well since daniel wrote that ,i'd better do that to..." anybody that reads things and takes them that litteral is a joker short of a full deck....oh wait isnt that what SOME christians do with the bible,,??