took a stab at 100-200 :(

If he's odds are ten percent, then tell me, how many bets were in preflop? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?You're not accounting for all the bets he has to put in the pot to actually win (which he won't before showdown, if he's just calling the flop here). It will likely be a lot of bets if his opponents are aggressive. It doesn't make sense to put in a lot of bets with such a slim chance of winning. You could easily make your hand and end up losing a pile of money.What happens if it's raised and reraised behind you on the flop, as seems likely from the OP's description? If you fold then basically you have lost a small bet for nothing. If you call, then the price of your draw is 2 to 4 SB to see the turn card, and you only have an 1 in 9.5 chance of hitting on the turn.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't say exactly what the blinds do, so lets assume they fold. Then you have 5 callers before him, and the raiser. So you have 14 small bets plus the blinds. Thats a whole lot sir

Good analysis... he held exactly A-7. However, he laid it down on the turn when he led out and was re-raised.
where are you playing where you get to see cards mucked before the showdown?
The 100-200 game at Commerce is usually spread on 4 tables and all the players know each other. The guy who folded showed his cards and the winner showed his cards to let him know he was re-raising without top pair. I would never show my cards but there were alot of censored contests between individuals in the game.
Two things. I've played a ton of 40-80 as well as 100-200 at Commerce. Both games can be incredibly loose or tight depending upon the line up. The hand itself plays well against several opponents which is what you were up against. But when an early position player leads out, he usually has a "big" piece of the flop. Because he knows that he has the rest of the field to contend with. So you can expect a larger holding more often than not. Even if the game is loose, this still should hold true. In regard to posting on the forum. Try putting this into general strategy or the hold em section in the future. Also, avoid playing a game that is more than double the limit you normally play with scared money. It WILL force you to make incorrect decisions on a constant basis. Good Luck.
Good analysis... he held exactly A-7. However, he laid it down on the turn when he led out and was re-raised.
The 100-200 game at Commerce is usually spread on 4 tables and all the players know each other. The guy who folded showed his cards and the winner showed his cards to let him know he was re-raising without top pair. I would never show my cards but there were alot of censored contests between individuals in the game.
Two things. I've played a ton of 40-80 as well as 100-200 at Commerce. Both games can be incredibly loose or tight depending upon the line up. The hand itself plays well against several opponents which is what you were up against. But when an early position player leads out, he usually has a "big" piece of the flop. Because he knows that he has the rest of the field to contend with. So you can expect a larger holding more often than not. Even if the game is loose, this still should hold true. In regard to posting on the forum. Try putting this into general strategy or the hold em section in the future. Also, avoid playing a game that is more than double the limit you normally play with scared money. It WILL force you to make incorrect decisions on a constant basis. Good Luck.
This guy always gives an informative post. Ignore all prior posts Read his history of posts and you will see, he is a player.
Two things. I've played a ton of 40-80 as well as 100-200 at Commerce. Both games can be incredibly loose or tight depending upon the line up. The hand itself plays well against several opponents which is what you were up against. But when an early position player leads out, he usually has a "big" piece of the flop. Because he knows that he has the rest of the field to contend with. So you can expect a larger holding more often than not. Even if the game is loose, this still should hold true.  In regard to posting on the forum. Try putting this into general strategy or the hold em section in the future.  Also, avoid playing a game that is more than double the limit you normally play with scared money. It WILL force you to make incorrect decisions on a constant basis. Good Luck.
This guy always gives an informative post. Ignore all prior posts Read his history of posts and you will see, he is a player.
he also weaves baskets underwater, a man of many talents
I'm two off the button and hold 4 3 . There are five callers when it comes to me and I call. The button raises and everyone calls as well. The flop brings Q-7-3. UTG leads out.... do I call, raise, or fold. Some things to keep in mind: the pre-flop raiser will re-raise and there is a good chance that the intial bettor will cap it. What I'm thinking is whether I want to put in 4 bets with bottom pair and second worse kicker. There are no backdoor draws avaiilable to me. What would you do?
1. limpin and calling raise on flop is fine2. on flop there are only 2 choices you can make. raise to isolate UTG or fold. you would have to rely on some reads of UTG play and preflop raiser's play or what they have been doing so far in the game.being familiar with commerce games and how you described the table, i would lean more toward raising UTG and reevaluate if it comes back to me capped. you would have to know that UTG is a type of player that would fold to your turn bet with TPWK.(i.e. QJs)calling on the flop is not an option. the OP is condisering raising UTG because OP feels if UTG is not strong he can push him off on the turn. the only person he is worried abut is preflop raiser making it three bets with a real hand.
  • 2 weeks later...
That is what I thought at first.... he's betting, he has a big hand. However, if his hand was that strong why wouldn't he check raise???? That's why I thought about making an isolation raise. The pre-flop raiser is sort of a moron. I have talked with him in the smoking room before and he boasted about how proud he was that he stayed in a 5 way pot to the river with 6-6 and hit his set to take down a huge pot. I had no clue if he had a Q, K-K, A-A or even J-J but I felt that he would at a minimum call my raise based on my perception of him. I haven't played 100-200 since that day, the money is just too much for me to play correct poker. How do you make yourself comfortable with a higher level. I used to grind at the 9-18 game and decided to jump to 20-40 two years ago and I wasn't scared at all. Steve.... who is that hot chick that plays at 100-200. She use to play with me at 20-40, then 40-80 and apparantly she is a regular at 100-200 now. She is that hispanic girl with curly hair.
and who folds getting 280-1 on their money?

to the opyou're posting on a forum populated by people, often students, who grind it out at .25/.50 NL - 1/2NL and 2/4 - 10/20any advice you get is going to be wrong, and your analysis of that hand is so far beyond the comprehension ability of the average poster on here that you're wasting your time, and will have a lot of trouble differentiating between the three people who might be able to say something meaningful to you (econ_tim is one of the few btw), and the people who don't understand why your hand in the OP might hold some value.

and btw I'm one of those students so I'm not knocking grinding tuition out at 1/2. I've watched enough high-level play over the past year to begin to understand that I would be literally torn apart if I tried to sit down in anything higher than 10/20 or 2/5 NL

Has anyone here played mid-level stakes poker? It's a different game. This is why I don't like posting hand histories on FCP because people just don't understand the play. The difference between the A-J and 4-3 is it was limped to me in late position with 4-3 and capped to me with A-J... do you understand now.  My line of thinking was two-bet the flop and shut out the original raiser. However, I was fairly confident that he would re-raise regardless of his holding to get heads-up. That is the reason I folded.  For all the experts: what do you put the two players on??? I want all your low limit expertise.
for the most part people don't play above 5-10 here.

Ill admit to not playing 100 200, or even 40 80. But I have consistently won at 10 20 and 15 30. But hell, here is my two cents since everyone gave theirs. I have no problem with any of the preflop play, but I wouldnt have limped in the first place. (However, If I had limped, I would have called the pf raise. As for the action after the flop, I think a fold is clearly the best option. A guy comes out firing in early position, your bottom pair is probably no good, and even if it is good, you would have to put in a lot more bets given the preflop action to find out. If the OP had a strong indication that the PF raiser was going to pump it had he raised, then its an easy fold. If not, then I do not mind a raise. However, it is still unlikely, in my view, that the bottom pair could beat the guy who led at the pot on the flop. Anyways, thats just what I think, whether its wrong, right, or otherwise. Good luck.