what music are you guys listening to?

Some people got no choiceAnd they can never find a voiceTo talk with they can even call their ownSo the first thing they seeThat allows them the right to beWhy, they follow itY'know, it's calledBad luck

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

That Surfer Blood album is good.
Really? I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't have to listen to it. But if it's good, I may have to. Damn. Too many things to do today...
Really? I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't have to listen to it. But if it's good, I may have to. Damn. Too many things to do today...
It sounds like something, but I don't know what. Somebody help me out. (Keep in mind I've listened to "Swim" like 5 times, and maybe 2 or 3 other tracks.)

I highly recommend the Jay Electronica compilation, What The Fuck Is A Jay Electronica.Dutch and Titical Blunder, you guys are lyric-nuts right? Dude, you've gotta check this guy out if you don't know him.My World (Nas Salute)Get at me:Me and my chick is like JFK and JackieThey can't wait to catch me in Dallas, top-down on the grassy knoll and clap meKidnap my body and fuck up the autopsy

I highly recommend the Jay Electronica compilation, What The Fuck Is A Jay Electronica.Dutch and Titical Blunder, you guys are lyric-nuts right? Dude, you've gotta check this guy out if you don't know him.My World (Nas Salute)Get at me:Me and my chick is like JFK and JackieThey can't wait to catch me in Dallas, top-down on the grassy knoll and clap meKidnap my body and fuck up the autopsy
I think I made a post about Jay Electronica some time ago. I may be making that up though.

I'm going to inject some new life into the Jazz For LadyGrey series soon, with some soul selections. Stay tuned!Also, I just learned how to tag something as a compilation, or at least how to tell itunes to remember that it's a compilation. It was a big moment for me, and it's too complicated and stupid to explain why, but the bottom line is that I've added dozens of compilations to my library which I had previously just been sitting on.**Ok, if you really wanna know, or if you have the same problem as me and are looking for a solution, here is the problem, and its solution: When you add a compilation album, unless that album has already been tagged as a compilation (something I have found to be very rare) it'll just show up with all the different artists clogging up your list of artists, and the only way to really see the whole album is to find it in your even-longer list of individual albums. The real main problem though is that it clogs up your artists-list. But when you tag it as a compilation, it's doubly smart. Say I add a soul collection. The first track is some long-forgotten band that I'd never heard of. Now that I've tagged it as a collection, this artist won't show up under my list of artists with this single track. However (this is the part that makes it doubly smart) if the next track on that album is for example Otis Redding and I already have one or more Otis Redding albums in my library, then this new Otis track will show up in my Otis Redding library, because he's already in my list of artists. Ok so here's how to do it: you select all of the songs on the album and right-click and say 'get info,' as you would if you wanted to re-tag anything else through itunes. Then there's a bunch of tabs which I'd always just ignored. Anyways, if you click the option tab you can easily tell it that it is part of a compilation, and boom, it's a compilation at the very top of your artists list.

I'm going to inject some new life into the Jazz For LadyGrey series soon, with some soul selections. Stay tuned!Also, I just learned how to tag something as a compilation, or at least how to tell itunes to remember that it's a compilation. It was a big moment for me, and it's too complicated and stupid to explain why, but the bottom line is that I've added dozens of compilations to my library which I had previously just been sitting on.*
Here's some for you if you want. Lots of Stan GetzStan Getz - West Coast Jazz (1955) http://sharebee.com/f99d522fStan Getz & The Bill Evans Trio - But Beautiful http://sharebee.com/f6d0439fStan Getz and the Oscar Peterson Trio http://sharebee.com/ff18989cMy uploads. I love me some Gayetzky.

Just for fun, my top weekly artists:ladygrey152.gifIt should have Stan Getz near the top but I guess those albums aren't tagged properly so it didn't catch them."Pianist" means the Pianist soundtrack, I just called it that so I could find it easily on my 'pod.Daniel Varsano et al is a recording of Erik Satie pieces played by those guys.If it auto-updates (I'm not sure if it will) then it will probably change soon and parts of this post won't make sense any more.Anyway, anyone else got last.fm that hasn't added me? If not, why don't you make one and add me? I like to see what people really listen to. Also if you have it then you can post a chart too.

Here's some for you if you want. Lots of Stan GetzStan Getz - West Coast Jazz (1955) http://sharebee.com/f99d522fStan Getz & The Bill Evans Trio - But Beautiful http://sharebee.com/f6d0439fStan Getz and the Oscar Peterson Trio http://sharebee.com/ff18989cMy uploads. I love me some Gayetzky.
Cool, thanks! To be frank, I've never had an interest in Stan Getz. I've heard a small amount of his music and didn't love it*. However, I'll grab at least one of these 3 and check it out since you recommend him so strongly. * What's with me and the asterisks lately, jeez. Anyways, I feel like the phrase 'I didn't love it' often has strong negative connotations. That's not my meaning here though - I know I've heard his music but I really don't remember it and never was inspired to download an album of his, so all I know is that I didn't love it. I don't mean it in the sense that one might say 'I didn't love it' when asked by their waiter about their expensive dinner.P.S. Which of those three would you recommend as a jumping-off-point?P.P.S. Whatever image you tried to imbed is not showing up, but I can click on it and it brings me to your lastfm page, and your stats and everything are easy to find.
Cool, thanks! To be frank, I've never had an interest in Stan Getz. I've heard a small amount of his music and didn't love it*. However, I'll grab at least one of these 3 and check it out since you recommend him so strongly. * What's with me and the asterisks lately, jeez. Anyways, I feel like the phrase 'I didn't love it' often has strong negative connotations. That's not my meaning here though - I know I've heard his music but I really don't remember it and never was inspired to download an album of his, so all I know is that I didn't love it. I don't mean it in the sense that one might say 'I didn't love it' when asked by their waiter about their expensive dinner.P.S. Which of those three would you recommend as a jumping-off-point?P.P.S. Whatever image you tried to imbed is not showing up, but I can click on it and it brings me to your lastfm page, and your stats and everything are easy to find.
That's weird, when I posted it I could see it, but now I can't. Oh well, I'm no good with techy stuff like that. Start with West Coast Jazz I guess, since the others have other strong players in the mix which influences the sound.
That Ghostface verse on "Gihad" has got to be one of my favorite moments from the year. That thing is so clutch and completely awesome.
meth's verse on new wu was even nicer for me, mostly because i always expect ghost to kill it
Anyone listen to that Mos Def album, The Ecstatic? If so, thoughts?
"auditorium" ft. slick rick is the standout track for me. madlib beat+mos def+slickrick=yeah!

also, i don't know who recommended Baby Huey and the Babysitters, and i have a vague recollection it might not even have been in this thread, but thanks. 'hard times' is insanely good.also for mashup-lovers, the hood internet is usually very hit-or-miss for me, but

is masterful. also,
is neat.
Anyway, anyone else got last.fm that hasn't added me? If not, why don't you make one and add me? I like to see what people really listen to. Also if you have it then you can post a chart too.
I sent you a friend request. Weekly artists looks like this:Screenshot2010-01-26at121543AM.png
also, i don't know who recommended Baby Huey and the Babysitters, and i have a vague recollection it might not even have been in this thread, but thanks. 'hard times' is insanely good.
It was meeeeeeeeeeee! I shared his album a couple months ago, and actually just yesterday I randomly cross-posted it into the jazz thread. Anyways here it is again, for people who still haven't grabbed it (link is still working).
And this is Baby Huey, his only album (heroin overdose, 26). Soul/funk/rock from 1971. He was produced by Curtis Mayfield. Baby Huey & The Babysitters
...And it's also hot-fucking-fire.
Somebody else just told me this as well. Thanks for the share!

Jazz for LadyGrey - Soul edition!Memphis 70 - The city's funk and soul in the decade after Otis, 1968-77Take Me To The River - A Southern Soul Story [disc 1]Both of these compilations are outstanding, particularly the Memphis 70 album, which has tons of amazing songs by groups I'd never heard of.Bill Withers - Just As I Am, 1971As is this album, which was Withers' first. It notably contains the original version of 'Ain't No Sunshine' (original meaning that B.W. wrote and composed it), but to me the song 'Harlem' is the clear knockout of the album. I also really love 'I'm Her Daddy.' And 'Grandma's Hands' is also a total classic.

The new Four Tet and Beach House have been on heavy rotation today.
It's obviously already been mentioned, but There Is Love in You is, indeed, hot fucking fire. Somehow, despite my love of Spoon and Beach House, I haven't heard either band's new album, yet.Raise your hand if you're way more excited than you feel comfortable with for the new Joanna Newsom triple-disc album. Okay, fine. Everybody close your eyes, then raise your hands. Okay? Well, no, I'm not closing my eyes. That would ruin the exercise completely. Whatever. You guys are ****ing assholes.
It's obviously already been mentioned, but There Is Love in You is, indeed, hot fucking fire. Somehow, despite my love of Spoon and Beach House, I haven't heard either band's new album, yet.
The new Beach House is pretty fantastic. I've been spinning it almost non-stop. It's beautiful.