• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

i never got this one eitherfor me, every 'second 1' has been: [eye roll], every 'second 2' has been [anger].i've been so chronically disappointed by most things animal collective-related (person pitch being the only exception) that i doubt i'll even listen to this one.color me old, tired, bitter, everything i hate about music listeners etc. i recognize my own hypocrisy!
you should definitely check this one out. I was the same way. everything else I'd ever heard by animal collective made me think they just lined up a bunch of keyboards in a room and threw in a bunch of cats, but this one seems to actually have rhythm, good vocals, and other things that make up listenable music. as far as the ITAOTS album, I still really don't know exactly what it is I like about it, cause every individual thing I pull out of it seems "not good" (I honestly cannot think of another word for "not good". that is "not good".), but I just can't stop listening to it for some reason. and I sing along very loudly too. that's fun.
So, has anyone listened to the newly leaked Animal Collective or Antony albums yet?
Longest two weeks ever. The holidays are usually shitty for me, but this year has blown away all other contenders. My girl was out of town (and totally incommunicado), and I just kept getting bitchslapped by tragedy. When my girl came back, I was so emotionally drained that I think I pissed her off, and now I've got that going for me.I won't be around much, but I just wanted to say:Merriweather Post Pavilion is a masterpiece. I am an only-slightly-abashed Animal Collective fan, but I'll be putting the songs "My Girls" and "Brothersport" and "Summertime Clothes" on every single iPod I see. I would love to have a 3-way with Panda Bear and Geologist. Actually, I'd want my girlfriend to get double-teamed by them, but I'd want to watch and I'd brag to my friends about it."I don't meanTo seem likeI care aboutMaterial thingsLike my social statusI just needFour wallsAnd adobe slabsFor My Girls"
i don't know what 'chuck' is but jesus fucking christ this can't be good.
The Flaming Lips were on Beverly Hills 90210. Granted it was their only song specifically written for pop radio and strategically placed as the 3rd track on the album, but you know, 90210?
Longest two weeks ever. The holidays are usually shitty for me, but this year has blown away all other contenders. My girl was out of town (and totally incommunicado), and I just kept getting bitchslapped by tragedy. When my girl came back, I was so emotionally drained that I think I pissed her off, and now I've got that going for me.
Sorry to here about your tragety, Wang. We've missed you in the 201 thread.
i don't know what 'chuck' is but jesus fucking christ this can't be good.
well i asked for help in here and got nothing, so....Arcade Fire was pretty good. I wasnt blown away, but it was good, pretty good, I guess. I dont really know shit about music, so, yeah.
If I wanted to get into the indie rock scene, where should I start? I mean, how do you guys find out about these bands? Blogs? Help me out here.Thanks.
Here, this will make you an obnoxious indie music hipster in no time:http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feat...ms-of-the-1990shttp://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feat...ms-of-the-1980shttp://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/40541Just grab a bunch of crap from the tops of these lists, see what you like, and go from there.
Here, this will make you an obnoxious indie music hipster in no time:http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feat...ms-of-the-1990shttp://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feat...ms-of-the-1980shttp://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/40541Just grab a bunch of crap from the tops of these lists, see what you like, and go from there.
Thanks, friendo. I really mean that.
the obvious answer was radiohead. they're the gateway drug of indie.
i bought Ok Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows back when you guys were talking about In Rainbows in the In Rainbows thread. I am a fan, for sure.
i bought Ok Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows back when you guys were talking about In Rainbows in the In Rainbows thread. I am a fan, for sure.
oh ok, well it varies from there, but my next step, if I remember correctly, was Broken Social Scene's "You Forgot It In People". you should also try elliot smith's "xo". I'll think of more later.
well i asked for help in here and got nothing, so....Arcade Fire was pretty good. I wasnt blown away, but it was good, pretty good, I guess. I dont really know shit about music, so, yeah.
Funeral was the first album that really got me into "indie" music.Listen again, it's phenomenal.

Hey SA, sorry I haven't been any help; I just haven't been around here or really even into music, lately. I feel particularly bad because the guys in this thread helped me with so many suggestions a few years ago. But those lists LLY posted are seriously awesome stuff.

Thanks, friendo. I really mean that.
Here are some of the best albums to start with from those Pitchfork lists, imo:Anything Radiohead (obviously)Belle and Sebastian - If you're Feeling Sinister (a 100% must have if you want to have any indie cred at all)My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (loud and potentially difficult to get into, but so worth it)The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin (cooky, odd, and fantastic)Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (see above)Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (epic, long, and brilliant)The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (fantastic mopey pop songs by the king of mope)Pixies - Dolittle (the inventors of basically all rock you've heard for the past 20 years)
Hey SA, sorry I haven't been any help; I just haven't been around here or really even into music, lately. I feel particularly bad because the guys in this thread helped me with so many suggestions a few years ago. But those lists LLY posted are seriously awesome stuff.
no worries, bro.
Here are some of the best albums to start with from those Pitchfork lists, imo:Anything Radiohead (obviously)Belle and Sebastian - If you're Feeling Sinister (a 100% must have if you want to have any indie cred at all)My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (loud and potentially difficult to get into, but so worth it)The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin (cooky, odd, and fantastic)Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (see above)Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (epic, long, and brilliant)The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (fantastic mopey pop songs by the king of mope)Pixies - Dolittle (the inventors of basically all rock you've heard for the past 20 years)
once I get some money on itunes and download some of this stuff i'll let you know what I think. thanks again.
wow.. though I have extremely little "hip" music. but I have everything on this list, but dolittle, because I hate the pixies.