FCPHA: Big Table in the Back

u guys realize we are sitting next to each other, on 2 computers, watching america's top chef, laughing histerically at MUNGERS
Where the HELL did ya'll come up with that! haha
i only looked it up to give the actual definition... blah.is it still thursday? FU.
It wasn't a quiz! i really wanted to know if what they said was true! LOL
  • Replies 347.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nikki_N

• dolfan

• renaedawn

• jeff_536

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm about to drink wine and eat french fries. Gourmet.edit: Yep...I liked my own post.

I'm back in the land of cold weather, wind, and snow. I left CA on a day it reached 90 degrees and arrived in Anchorage to 12 degree weather, caught a plane to Unalaska where it was 34 with 2 inches o

Posted Images

I'll put it in the queue of things I'm planning on reading. I have The Riverside Shakespeare which pretty much has them all, that one included.As for things I enjoyed that I should have read in school but read later I recommend Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut and Neuromancer by William Gibson.
I absolutely love this book. Definitely my favorite book of anything I read in high school.Another one of my favorite books I read in that time frame (though it wasn't a school-assigned book) was The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
n. - mung
FUCKIN' GROSS!
must be a new jersey/phily thing....cuz..ummm...me neither?
Damn!
Just curious, who's standing on guard..? The Mounties?
I was going to ask the same thing.If it wasn't for the fact that the US is directly South of Canada they would've been taken over long ago.Canada is like a loft apartment over a really good party. "Hey! keep it down eh?" - Robin Williams.The Royal Canadian Mounted Police? How queer does that sound?s/wBefore you Canucks dice me up, remember I'm one of you.

I'm borderline illiterate, apparently.Freshmen:All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot - Yes, read to me by my parents.Animal Farm by George Orwell - yes.Barrio Boy by Ernesto Galarza - noThe Friendly Persuasion by Jessamyn West - Yes, but I don't remember it.Great Expectations by Charles Dickens - Yes. The Natural by Bernard Malamud - nopeNever Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat - Yes. Rio Grande Stories by Carolyn Meyer - nopeScorpions by Walter Dean Myers - nopeA Step from Heaven by An Na - nopeTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - yes. Junior HS.Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen - nopeTwo Old Women: An Alaska legend of betrayal, courage, and survival by Velma Wallis - nopeSophomores:The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain - yesThe Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines - yes. college.Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin - nopeBless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo A. Anaya - noThe Chosen by Chaim Potok - noDeathwatch by Robb White - noFarewell to Manzanar: A True Story of Japanese American Experience During and After the World War II Internment by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston & James D. Houston - noThe House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros - noInto the Wild by John Krakauer - noMy Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok - noOf Mice and Men by John Steinbeck - noA Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry - noThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd - noSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury - noJunior/Senior:As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner - Yes, college.Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave/ Written by Himself by Frederick Douglass - no1984 by George Orwell - sadly, no.Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen - noPilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard - noAll the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy - no?A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway - noHeart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad - noPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - noThe Fountainhead by Ayn Rand - noThe Once and Future King by T. H. White - yesThe Stranger by Albert Camus - noThe Tragedy of Hamlet by William Shakespeare - yesThe Tragedy of King Lear by William Shakespeare - yesWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë - yes. also GROAN.The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain - yesThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X: with the assistance of Alex Haley - no Blue Highways: A Journey into America by William Least Heat-Moon - noIncidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet A Jacobs - noMaggie: A Girl of the Streets: A Story of New York by Stephen Crane - noMy Antonia by Willa Cather - noPeace like a River by Leif Enger - noThe Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane - noThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne - noFrankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley - yes. not assigned.The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde - noThe Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson - noA Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens - noThe Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver - noBrave New World by Aldous Huxley - noCatch 22 by Joseph Heller - noCry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton - noDeath of a Salesman by Arthur Miller - yesThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - yesHiroshima by John Hersey - noThe Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan - no but i've seen the movieLord of the Flies by William Golding - noNight by Elie Wiesel - noA Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving - noCrossing Over: A Mexican Family on the Migrant Trail by Ruben Martinez - noMetamorphosis by Franz Kafka - noOne Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - noSchindler's List by Thomas Keneally - no Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse - noThings Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe - noThere's not nearly as much Shakespeare as we read. I wish we'd just watched (or peformed) the plays. Reading scripts is pretty tedious, imho.A Light in the Forest and The Outsiders made impressions on me in HS, but they're not on this list.

I'm borderline illiterate, apparently.A Light in the Forest and The Outsiders made impressions on me in HS, but they're not on this list.
nah.... Ponyboy!Catcher in the Rye J.D. Salinger! w00t!
man i fucking sucked ass on those two fuckin shows tonight. bad.............real bad.................ouch
Tournement of Champions Jeapordy is hard. Those were the most obscure questions EVER!
hi mikei see u :club:
If that's me Mike, hello darling. Sounds like you guys are having a good time.If it's not me Mike. Same.I think I threw up in my mouth a little when I read about the munging. Didn't help that I just finished a big plate of spaghetti...

I watched the movie of The Outsiders with Dave. It was pretty good. I knew he hasn't yet read Lord of the Flies, but it shocks me everytime it comes up between us. It is a fantastic read. I've read it 3 times. The movie was crap. The book was one of the best books I've ever read.Oh so when I was a kid I read all the "Narnia's". I read them again a couple of years ago. Good stuff.Okay, Madame Nikki's required reading listAll books by Douglas AdamsLord of the Flies by William GoldingDelta of Venus Erotica by Anais NinAnything by Bill BrysonNeuromancer by William GibsonAll books in the Discworld series by Terry PratchettThe Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. TolkeinThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisAll of the Harry Potter Series by J.K. RowlingAll of the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony SnicketThis is what I've got so far. I'm sure I'll think of more soon, not that y'all are running to the library right now because I said so.

I just thought the book became important to my generation because of the fear of Communism taking over the world in the early 80s. Yes, I understand that it was written WAY before that, but I think it had a ressurgence of relevance when I was a kid.
<trivia>1984 was written in 1948. I've heard Orwell picked the date by reversing the last digits in the year. The Soviet Union detonated their first A-bomb in 1949, so totalitarianism was certainly on the people's minds at the time.</trivia>

Question for discussion:Are IQ tests geared for or tailored for any certain group within the population or is the test an adequate measure of intelligence?

<trivia>1984 was written in 1948. I've heard Orwell picked the date by reversing the last digits in the year. The Soviet Union detonated their first A-bomb in 1949, so totalitarianism was certainly on the people's minds at the time.</trivia>
Oooh, spanked by Dave's superior intellect. That always happens to me! Damn smart husbands!
Question for discussion:Are IQ tests geared for or tailored for any certain group within the population or is the test an adequate measure of intelligence?
I like the question, but I don't think I know enough about the topic to comment intelligently on it. That doesn't usually stop me, but Dave will just say something that is contradictory to what I say and he will be right, so I'm staying out of it.
Oooh, spanked by Dave's superior intellect. That always happens to me! Damn smart husbands!I like the question, but I don't think I know enough about the topic to comment intelligently on it. That doesn't usually stop me, but Dave will just say something that is contradictory to what I say and he will be right, so I'm staying out of it.
Nikki afraid to express her opinion? I'm disappointed. And a school teacher at that! :club:
Nikki afraid to express her opinion? I'm disappointed. And a school teacher at that! :club:
Yeah, but that's the problem with marrying a man exponentially smarter than oneself. It's hard to make good arguments when he's watching. That being said, smart guys get me hot.edit: I don't mean to imply that I'm a dummy. I'm pretty sharp, so I was pretty lucky to find Dave( the second smartest person I know personally) at a strip bar in Terre Haute of all places. You haven't seen stupid until you've been there.
I'm borderline illiterate, apparently.There's not nearly as much Shakespeare as we read. I wish we'd just watched (or peformed) the plays. Reading scripts is pretty tedious, imho.A Light in the Forest and The Outsiders made impressions on me in HS, but they're not on this list.
"borderline illiterate" cracked me up from the guy who graduated from an engineering school second only to MIT.I agree about the Shakespeare. They only had King Lear and Hamlet on that list but I know we read Romeo and Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, Taming of the Shrew, A Midsomer Nights Dream, Julius Caesar, Othello, and MacBeth.
Also, how the hell is Catcher in the Rye not on that list?????
I haven't read that one. I need to. There's a guy in a Verizon commericial that says, "Yeah,yeah, yeah!" just like Ozzy.
I watched the movie of The Outsiders with Dave. It was pretty good. I knew he hasn't yet read Lord of the Flies, but it shocks me everytime it comes up between us. It is a fantastic read. I've read it 3 times. The movie was crap. The book was one of the best books I've ever read.Oh so when I was a kid I read all the "Narnia's". I read them again a couple of years ago. Good stuff.Okay, Madame Nikki's required reading listAll books by Douglas AdamsLord of the Flies by William GoldingDelta of Venus Erotica by Anais NinAnything by Bill BrysonNeuromancer by William GibsonAll books in the Discworld series by Terry PratchettThe Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. TolkeinThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisAll of the Harry Potter Series by J.K. RowlingAll of the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony SnicketThis is what I've got so far. I'm sure I'll think of more soon, not that y'all are running to the library right now because I said so.
I agree about the Narnia books. I loved them so much they made me love all of CS Lewis' work, including The Screwtape Letters. That's a wild book. I should read that one again.I've read 2 of the Harry Potter books and while I enjoyed them, for regular reading, they were just a bit too juvenile for me, sentence structure and vocabulary-wise.Seriously nobody but me has ever read A Seperate Peace? That book made a huge impact on me in 11th grade.Then in college I discovered Hunter Thompson....WOW!