worry about set over set?

Do you worry about someone having a higher set when you flop a set?Delt 22 on the BB. MP1 raises to $300, folds around to me and I call. Flop comes 245 offsuit. I bet $500 and get called.Turn comes 6. I bet $500 and get called.River comes 9. I bet $500 and get raised $500. I call and he turns over 99.I figured I had it locked up since he probably didnt have a straight with a 3. The craziest part is that I read in a book by Phil Gordon the other day a quote that went something like this:"I never worry about someone having a set greater than mine without a pair on the board. The odds are about 1 in 100, I will go broke at these odds." I didn't go broke but it crippled me.-- Ryan

Bet 1200-1500 on the turn.and, no, dont worry about it. This one happening is your fault though bc of your betting. He's a donk though for only raising 500 with 99

I agree that the 2nd bet out there could have been a little stronger, but my reasoning was as follows:Before the flop came, there was roughly $650 in the pot. After the flop comes 245, I fired $500 at the pot. After getting called the pot is now $1600 or so. The next card comes a 6 so I fire another $500. I was a bit surprised by the $500 call after the flop and though about the possibility of a draw to a straight or possibly A3. At this point when he called, he was down to his last $1000. Obviously he was playing the fact that his overpair was good, I dont see how overbetting the pot so much could have moved him off the hand......but then again, that is why I post and ask for help :-)

You can't fold, but you can check/call and minimize your losses. I'm not going to put all my chips in with bottom set of twos against a reasonably good player, unless he makes me and even then I might lay it down if I think I'm beat depending on my chip stack. With middle set, I'm probably going broke every time, but I can check/call bottom set on the river.

I have only been up against a high set twice in my two years of playing poker seriously. In that same time I have hit quads probably 10-12 times.So no I don't worry about it.Still haven't made a straight flush yet though. :x

Do you worry about someone having a higher set when you flop a set?Delt 22 on the BB.  MP1 raises to $300, folds around to me and I call.  Flop comes 245 offsuit.  I bet $500 and get called.Turn comes 6.  I bet $500 and get called.River comes 9.  I bet $500 and get raised $500.  I call and he turns over 99.I figured I had it locked up since he probably didnt have a straight with a 3.  The craziest part is that I read in a book by Phil Gordon the other day a quote that went something like this:"I never worry about someone having a set greater than mine without a pair on the board.  The odds are about 1 in 100, I will go broke at these odds."  I didn't go broke but it crippled me.-- Ryan
I hope this was a tournament, and you didn't lose 2300 real dollars. By the way, I'm not worried about the higher set either, but I do worry about the straight.
I have only been up against a high set twice in my two years of playing poker seriously.  In that same time I have hit quads probably 10-12 times.So no I don't worry about it.Still haven't made a straight flush yet though. :x
In my session today, I lost to set over set 3 times in 15 hands. Then in consecutive hands I flopped quads and turned a straight flush. No point. Poker's weird.Wang

I wish my bank roll was that high, but luckily it was a $5.00 SNG tourney. So the lesson learned from this post is that nobody worries about a set over set. I had heard that before and just wondered what everyone else thought. I would like to know what people think would have been the correct betting amounts, a few posts earlier said my betting was weak. I am always looking to get better, so what do people think?Stack sizes (approx):Hero: 2500Villian: 2400

The statement that he is making is more about on the flop than on the board at all. I think that by not applying enough pressure on the turn, you are allowing him to draw at the 9 "too cheaply". If calling the turn would leave him with only 1000 in a $2600 pot, why not shove in your stack or at least a healthier portion and give him something to think about?

The statement that he is making is more about on the flop than on the board at all. I think that by not applying enough pressure on the turn, you are allowing him to draw at the 9 "too cheaply". If calling the turn would leave him with only 1000 in a $2600 pot, why not shove in your stack or at least a healthier portion and give him something to think about?
Because you don't want him to think about it. You desperately want him to call.
I never worry about set over set  I would have been concerned about the straight here though
Yea I agree with macphec. If I was playing OMAHA, then it would be a different story. Also, the turn bet could've been alot bigger compared to the size of the pot. However, if you called his raise, he was hoping you had two over cards - in which you would have missed this flop, unless you had an ace of course, but the turn wasn't a 3.-HoldemPokerPlyr
Because you don't want him to think about it. You desperately want him to call.
In a tournament, I'm okay with taking down a medium pot as opposed to losing a huge one. A set of 2s is not that strong. What if he had an ace? Or two of them? With two aces, he'd have 6 outs and probably call a big bet anyway, but I wouldn't be left wondering on the river if I played my hand too slowly.