Quiz Question #2

You count what you have to call compared to the pot. If you count your call, than that adds to the pot. If I have to call a fifty dollar bet to win a 100 pot, i'm not calling 50 to win 150, which would be if I included my call. I'm calling 50 to win 100. The odds are skewed the first way.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You count what you have to call compared to the pot.  If you count your call, than that adds to the pot.  If I have to call a fifty dollar bet to win a 100 pot, i'm not calling 50 to win 150, which would be if I included my call.  I'm calling 50 to win 100.  The odds are skewed the first way.
Exactly! Was going to post a similar reply.
:It is more then possible that with a small pair such as 5-5 and everyone folding infront of him but myself, he figures I raised just to scare out the the buitton and SB.  So that makes his small pair a favorite, and he is short stacked so at that point he either folds or goes all-in.   We know his decision.  So based on my thoughts of what he is thinking, I figure I have prety much a 48% chance of taking this hand.  But, I would also be knocking someone out (assuming tourney), therefore making it a good call.Peace
Finally a forum member who knows how to calculate odds. 48% against a player who would go all-in with any pair and any ace. Clearly a call against a player.Fold against the rocks who think the SB should only play premium hands all-in.

This is getting off course but think of pot odds this way. How much do I have to spend to win what is in the pot right now. So, in this case you are putting up 2800 to win 5825, giving you 2.08 to 1 odds.Peace

I'd have to say fold, there is 5800 in the pot and you've got to put in 2800 more, the pot is laying you just over 2 to 1 on your money. Your hand will have to win 33% of the time or more to make this a good call. We have to believe that if he has an ace, that it is a better ace than ours. Afterall if he had an Ace 8 or worse would he really move all in here when he would have 7 more hands to look at before he was in the big blind again? I don't think so. If he holds a better ace our hand will only win 25% of the time, not good enough. If he has a hand like 99, 1010, JJ, QQ, or KK we are getting close to the right odds, but not quite. The other hand he MIGHT have is pocket 8's or lower, which i personally doubt, and that is the only time where a call is correct. It is far more likely he has one of the hands i discussed above and then the call is incorrect imo.

Blinds: 200-400Ante: 25Stack Size: 14,000Hand: A-9 off suitPosition: Cutoff seat (next to the button)  Everyone folds to you at a 9 handed table and you make it 1200 to go.  The button folds, and the small blind goes all in for a total of 4000, 2800 more to you.  You have minimal information as to your opponents tendencies, but you assume that he has a decent hand.  Do you make the call, or do you move onto the next hand?
The SB is at 10x the BB. which for some, is push it in time.Your A-9 Offsuit has only 6 other Ax combinations it can lose to. Any other A is likely to give you the best pair.Pot odds are unfavorable.Your risking less than 1/3 of your stack.I'd say call

lay it down! with your chip size you could find a better pot to get your money in when you have the best of it. With out a good read on you opponet its my opinion to lay it down and move on.

I haven't read all the posts, and this is my first one ever on any forum... so I hope it isn't too bad.I agree with just about all the reasons for folding that have been mentioned here. The one that I would add is that if I make a sizeable raise from this position with A,9 off, I'm looking to pick up the blinds and antes right there. ESPECIALLY if I'm heads up... and what this means to me is that if I get played with.. I'm stepping very, very carefully. In fact, I've already made up my mind to unload this one if faced with a big re-raise. This becomes even more true if the player I'm facing has provided me with little other information. (As in this case)Interestingly enough, I've been faced with these kinds of choices many times in small, weeknight no-limit tournaments; 2 nights in a row, trying to make a play w/ A,9 cost me a chance to place higher in the money. Daniel has mentioned that the goal we are working toward in tournament play is to create positive EV in those marginal situations... it's my opinion that the pre-flop raise was the tool we employed to do that, and the re-raise deprived us of much more firepower. Much better to save the chips for use the next time we see a REAL hand.Ya'll have fun, & Good Luck

I say call. Pot odds are 2-1 and you're probably not a far worse dog if behind. Also image considerations lead me to favor a call: if u back off here, the chances are other players will target you for future moves. The call sends the message: don't F with me, or be prepared toe die. Losing the hand is also not a disaster chip-wise. It's not as clearcut as quizhand #1, but im pretty sure the call is the way to go.

Blinds: 200-400Ante: 25Stack Size: 14,000Hand: A-9 off suitPosition: Cutoff seat (next to the button) Everyone folds to you at a 9 handed table and you make it 1200 to go. The button folds, and the small blind goes all in for a total of 4000, 2800 more to you. You have minimal information as to your opponents tendencies, but you assume that he has a decent hand. Do you make the call, or do you move onto the next hand?

For me this is a very easy decision to make. I have A9 and am in the cutoff seat trying to steal the blinds which obviously didn't work. If the small blind had just called here I would still be ok with that because I have position. However, when I look at the situation I can not even think about calling this hand. My reasons are these: (all based on general poker play, since I have little information of my opponent)1) My opponent is in the small blind with less than 10X the big blind. Why would he want to make a move in this situation with rags? Put yourself in your opponents shoes for a second. If you were facing a raise with an opponent with a big stack, would you want to push all in when it doesn't cost your opponent too much chips if you had rags? Besides, he is in the small blind, if he was making a move I would expect it to be from the button or late position (like I just made).2) Look at your cards, A9 offsuit. If you call what kind of hand are you trying to make?3) Your opponents hand. Another important piece of information "You assume he has a decent hand". Now I don't know what some of you guys consider a decent hand, but I think A9 offsuit is a horrible hand and that all my considerations of a decent hand all put me at a 2-1 disadvantage at best. Sidenote to this situation: I once tried this exact move with A8 offsuit same position but with the opponent having me covered in chips in the big blind. I had raised 4x the big blind and then the big blind raised me 4x my original raise. I called. Flop came A-8-J. Bingo! How could I lose this hand right? The big blind pushes all in right away. I'm thinking he's bluffing (tried making a move preflop, didn't work so now he's making it on the flop with a big pot) so I call with my two pair and what does he flip over? AJ. So I bust out of the tournament when in retrospect I strongly feel that I definitely made a stupid play by calling the reraise preflop instead of mucking my hand. Also, my brother who was playing in the same tournament told me that he had AK preflop on the button but he mucked his hand because of the action (called my original raise but folded to reraise and 1 caller) which showed me how far behind I was preflop.

Guest Anonymous

Although the answer has probably already been posted (I will look for it after answering) I would definitely call in this situation. 1. You have the chance to bust someone out.2. You have a large stack.3. You have a reasonable chance to beat him unless he's holding AA4. In the very worst situation you are buying some information on this player who you know very little about. If you fold, you have NO chance to win the hand and you still know nothing about him.Call!

• 3 weeks later...

I would more than likely call with a hand like that. But it might not be a quick call. I would have to give it a little thought .Biggest factor would be who am i playing against and that players style.But 9 times out of 10 i would be in there. i play a cold calculating game of poker and am very aggressive. And i use everything I know about the person I am playing in a game.

• 4 months later...

I think I would probably let it go, as hard as it may be. If you do not really know much about your opponent, you should be a bit cautious. Try to get infomation from this hand, if possible, and use it later to bust him/her.

• 1 month later...

Yes, you are more than likely behind, but pot odd should make you call. They put in 4,000, you already put in 1,200, plus there is another 400 from the big blind. That is a total of 5,600. You have to put in 2,800 more giving you 2-1 odds. You have to call. Unless they have AA you are no more than a 3-1 dog. It could also be a coin flip, they could have a8-a2, or they could have a hand like kq or kj. Your pot odds are too good to fold.

• 3 months later...

Announcements