royal flush draw. take the free card or not???

I had kind of an interesting hand come up in a session today? I had a royal flush draw (and 2nd pair). I was heads-up w/ one other player and he checked to me on the turn. I couldn't decide whether to check behind him to see if I made my hand, or try to take down the pot right then. Here was the action:.50/1 blinds, NLHEI had a pretty big stack (more than the hundred I bought in for) and so did my opponent.Me on button w/ K :) Q :D. I raised 5xbb to $5 and got 2 callers.Flop A :), Q :club: 9 :D LP made a bet of about half the size of the pot $8, which he had done almost every time he was in a pot. He didn't necessarily need to have a hand to make this bet, I didn't think he was super-strong, so I was going to try to take it away from him. I raised to $25. The other player folded and LP called.Turn J :D Now I had 2nd pair, and a royal flush draw. LP checked to me, so now my decision was, try to take down the pot right there, or check behind to see if I got there.After thinking for a while I didn't think I had the best hand, but I obviously had the best draw, and I didn't think he was very strong, at best I think he had a weak Ace, like A8.I opted for trying to take the pot down. I moved in for approx $80.Any thoughts???

The problem with pushing is if you get called you have to make a hand.It's no great crime to check through here... and I wouldn't push on a loose or bad opponent.

Pushing all in might be a good play if it was a tournament. Here it seems pretty risky. If you think he has A8 then he will probably call a fair-sized bet (since he called your last one), so I would probably just check.

I've seen many players lead into raises with top pair weak and either check call or check fold when raised. Your raises preflop and on the flop set you up for this semibluff. Unfortunately, you don't always know if this guy can lay down A8 on this board. I believe though that if you do bet allin is the only move. In terms of fold equity, you can hope that the times he folds and the times he calls and you draw out make up for the times he calls and wins.

I think an A8 that bet/calls the flop is calling here more than most of us would. I might be inclinded to take a free card. I have no problem applyin pressure, I just fell it's a losing proposition to try to pull some one off an A.