dannenman on his phone call

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The photo for Bluff was during the tradeshow. It was just for fun.Steve was concerned about the negative perception  regarding his phone call during the Howard Lederer hand. There was a bigger situation than what made it to ESPN and he felt strongly enough to address it publically. I find him to be a genuine guy and definitely good for poker.I spoke with him at Foxwoods about it when I found out his friend Mark was playing.Disparaging Dannenmann's skill is a pretty silly thing to do. He's the first to humbly admit his skills and he's at least  socially more competant than most poker players I've met. Besides that, he has placed well in the big buy in tournaments he's entered (final tabling at TOC, Borgata, USPC). I frankly have little respect for anyone who comments negatively on known players without stepping up to the $10K buy in arena. In my live experience, most of these guys are frustrated "middling" players - who feel they deserve to be recognized or playing at higher levels than they are at.I of course have no clue about most FCPers since I never met them. But, likewise, most FCPers have no clue about the poker world.
Once again, you make a decent argument and then ruin it by showcasing the fact that your a pompous ass. Read the thread. Only a few people said anything negative about Dannenman...so you don't need to make your obligatory comment about everyone on FCP being an ignorant microlimit player that has no business talking about poker.Seriously, the only post I've seen you make in the last few months (granted, I'm sure I haven't seen all of them) that didn't involve you being obnoxiously condescending was when you were offering your services to DN's business team (re: beggin for work).Do us all a favor and stop thinking you're better than anyone else here.As for me, I thought Dannenman was great on TV and in that interview. Seems like a very genuine guy that will readily admit he isn't the greatest player...so both mocking and defending his play is pretty useless in my opinion.

I don't know if that was directed at me...but I will take a shot....I haven't disparaged his skill...I have stated the obvious.......but having said that...I am sure he will get better.As for his "persona"....yeah...it looked forced and it looked like an act...but that happy go lucky attitude could be to his benefit at the tables.As for the incident in question....I thought it was disrespectful....and I don't care if it was Howard Lederer, Tiffany Williamson, or the ghost of Stu Unger that he did that too.It was disrespectful to go into this whole "thing" on how you punked Howard Lederer....he treated Howard like he was a monkey at the zoo and he threw him a rubber banana..."The Poker World"....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I want to bust guys like Dannenman.  I just dont like the guy, the whole cell phone incident doesnt sit to well with me.
Did you even read the article? He would talk to his friend on the phone about strategy, they came up with a plan to play back at Howard, he executed the plan, it worked, he tried to privately call his friend to tell him that it worked, but the ESPN guys picked it up. It's not like he just bluffed him and had to immediately brag about it, which is how ESPN made it look.

"Hey Tim Wakefield, so your saying the countless professionals, and great poker players like Doyle, Ferguson, Negreanu, Harman, etc.. didn't know what they were doing, as opposed to Dannenman. Hey moron it's a lottery, anyone can get to the final table or win or come in second. If it came down to knowing what you were doing the entire time there wouldn't have been an amatuer at the table."-what a waste of 8 seconds reading this was

Of course I read the article, but what you just said makes him look dumber than he already does. He was at the featured table, all of those players had microphones on, it wasnt something the camera guys caught. He knew or at least he should have known the microphone was going to pick that up, yet he did it anyway. Classless

only problem i have is that dannerman wasnt good and felt like he coudl talk trash. He was a pretty fake player who said stuff knowing that the tv cameras would pick it up and then he would be portrayed as the "joe everybody" of the tourney who was just there "having fun." He was playin for 7.5 million i doubt it was just all extra to him once i survived day one. He was there to win and if he wasnt well hes fishier than we know. THis is all in contrast to Arieh who we all know is a good guy and an great poker player but that b/c he talked trash (and was usually correct) and was portrayed as all that was wrong with the world. ESPN makes or breaks these people so we dont know the truth about dannerman and whether he was a jackass or not. only time will tell

Hey Tim Wakefield, so your saying the countless professionals, and great poker players like Doyle, Ferguson, Negreanu, Harman, etc.. didn't know what they were doing, as opposed to Dannenman.  Hey moron it's a lottery, anyone can get to the final table or win or come in second.  If it came down to knowing what you were doing the entire time there wouldn't have been an amatuer at the table.
Yeah, you're right, there really isn't any skill involved. A monkey could probably get second place.

now that hes explained the situation i like him a little more, u know what the guy knows hes not johnny chan but he had his day in the sun. he had enough of a brain to figure out that howard was running over the table and used that knowledge to get some chips, i like it. hey, im not bitter im a midlimit player and i feel that im better than steve as a poker player, but hes got the ching and i dont. he seemed genuinely humble overall despite that out of context phone call. Also i think elkangs comments are right on the money. i dont take them personally, but u could make an argument that a large percent of the fcp population are 16 and 17 yr olds who have watched the wsop on tv and played a little .005 .010 he on the internet that dont know much about poker. thats not a slight to the good players who are here. There are a few, but i think our majority are kids who are drawn here by dns flashy persona and relative youth.

Ghost must be right, a bunch of 16 or 17 year olds on this site posting threads. TimWakefield I am not even going to justify what you just said. You obviously are unable to comprehend the context of my thread. You should leave this site, and go to one that would teach you remedial english, but since you couldnt understand what I wrote, I doubt you could understand something like that.

I had the opportunity to meet Steve Dannenmann yesterday at the WSOP Circuit event in AC. He's just a regular dude (and is a lot shorter than you might think) and I asked him about that hand. His response was exactly the same as the article and I found him to be a genuinely nice guy.What bothers me is the amount of haters out there. So the guy isn't a nine-time bracelet winner. Does that mean people should belittle his finish at the main event? Everyone wants to say making the final table at the main event is more lottery ticket than skill, but do you have any idea the amount of stamina it takes to survive 6000+ players and five days of 12-hour sessions? I played in the event yesterday (placed 34th out of nearly 600) and I was exhausted. But I made one mistake and that was that.  So let's not kill Dannenmann because he is an unknown that made millions. I think it's guys like him that make poker such a great sport. And in the long run, guys like him are going to get more people interested in poker, which is a good thing for the truly skillful players. People who think he got lucky or dismiss him as a donk need to take a step back and take a look at themselves. Jealousy is ugly.
Does that mean you cashed in the tourney? Checked Cardplayer, and it said there were 548 players, but no word on payout positions, but I'm assuming they'd pay the top 10%. Just curious, and nicely done regardless.
I dont care what that article says or anyone else for that matter. Dannenman is a complete tool and a fake. If you ask me he knew how much of a moron he was going to look like and for the rest of the tournament he went out of his way to try and portray this total nice guy, "everything else is extra credit" portrait for tv. I dont believe it for a second. Regardless of editing, it was still disrespectful and childish to be blabbing on the phone to your buddy about how you bluffed the Cal Ripken of poker. He didnt have that respect for him when he was saying he looked like someone shot his dog and how he popped him for $30,000, funny he didnt go call his buddy when Howard caught bullets on him and nearly cleaned him out. It just goes to show that this tournament along with many others, final tables and winners are becoming more a lottery ticket than skillful play. After this incident and the one at the Tournament of Champions, where he mouths off and says the game doesnt need people like Phil Hellmuth. Regardless of how Phil acts, where does he get off saying something like that, he does well in one tournament and he thinks he is some kind of ambassador for the game. Give me a break. This guy is a total stooge and I have absolutely no respect for him.
Agreed. I dont like Dannenman either. I also have no problem believing that this donk carded his way to the final table through no bad beats and lots of coin flip wins. He gave away enormous amounts of information about his hands throughout the tournament but they always held up. Also, Dannenman said that he played good cards throughout the entire tournament when he had a tough decision against Hachem at the final table. I wouldve loved to see the chip stack a top pro couldve amassed with Dannenman's cards. He played only good cards!!! Are you serious? I would kill to be able to win playing only good cards. Unfortunately, the majority of us dont get dealt enough good cards to survive strictly on hands to win a tournament. Just my opinion.
I dont care what that article says or anyone else for that matter. Dannenman is a complete tool and a fake. If you ask me he knew how much of a moron he was going to look like and for the rest of the tournament he went out of his way to try and portray this total nice guy, "everything else is extra credit" portrait for tv. I dont believe it for a second. Regardless of editing, it was still disrespectful and childish to be blabbing on the phone to your buddy about how you bluffed the Cal Ripken of poker. He didnt have that respect for him when he was saying he looked like someone shot his dog and how he popped him for $30,000, funny he didnt go call his buddy when Howard caught bullets on him and nearly cleaned him out. It just goes to show that this tournament along with many others, final tables and winners are becoming more a lottery ticket than skillful play. After this incident and the one at the Tournament of Champions, where he mouths off and says the game doesnt need people like Phil Hellmuth. Regardless of how Phil acts, where does he get off saying something like that, he does well in one tournament and he thinks he is some kind of ambassador for the game. Give me a break. This guy is a total stooge and I have absolutely no respect for him.
Agreed. I dont like Dannenman either. I also have no problem believing that this donk carded his way to the final table through no bad beats and lots of coin flip wins. He gave away enormous amounts of information about his hands throughout the tournament but they always held up. Also, Dannenman said that he played good cards throughout the entire tournament when he had a tough decision against Hachem at the final table. I wouldve loved to see the chip stack a top pro couldve amassed with Dannenman's cards. He played only good cards!!! Are you serious? I would kill to be able to win playing only good cards. Unfortunately, the majority of us dont get dealt enough good cards to survive strictly on hands to win a tournament. Just my opinion.
Agreed. I dont like Dannenman either. I also have no problem believing that this donk carded his way to the final table through no bad beats and lots of coin flip wins. He gave away enormous amounts of information about his hands throughout the tournament but they always held up. Also, Dannenman said that he played good cards throughout the entire tournament when he had a tough decision against Hachem at the final table. I wouldve loved to see the chip stack a top pro couldve amassed with Dannenman's cards. He played only good cards!!! Are you serious? I would kill to be able to win playing only good cards. Unfortunately, the majority of us dont get dealt enough good cards to survive strictly on hands to win a tournament. Just my opinion. Im sure he is a nice guy and all, but lets see you make your living at poker at the highest limits for years before you act like this guy.
Ghost must be right, a bunch of 16 or 17 year olds on this site posting threads. TimWakefield I am not even going to justify what you just said. You obviously are unable to comprehend the context of my thread. You should leave this site, and go to one that would teach you remedial english, but since you couldnt understand what I wrote, I doubt you could understand something like that.
Congratulations, you are officially retarted. You: "Hey Tim Wakefield, so your saying the countless professionals, and great poker players like Doyle, Ferguson, Negreanu, Harman, etc.. didn't know what they were doing, as opposed to Dannenman. Hey moron it's a lottery, anyone can get to the final table or win or come in second. If it came down to knowing what you were doing the entire time there wouldn't have been an amatuer at the table."Yes, obviously anybody who entered the tournament had a chance to win it. This is the nature of a tournament. Yes Danneman got lucky to get to the final table. So did everybody else there. My point was that Danneman clearly played well with the cards he was dealt to end up in 2nd place.
Sorry for the post X 3. My computer sucks.
Good, so now you and computer have something in common. You will have something to talk about after you make love juice all over its interface.

I think Danneman got a bad beat by ESPN. I follow Josh Arieh really close too and when he took third they edited his really unfairly as well. So i completely see him being painted in a poor image by ESPN.