fossilman at the final table

Has anyone seen this hour long show? Greg is basically giving commentary on highlights of the final table.I must say, I was impreesed with not only his knowledge and respect for the game, but he is a true gentleman and a better image of poker than "Tilt" certainly has been. Once again, everyone blamed him as truly lucky, but only certain hands are shown, and I think this show will put him in a better light.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest XXEddie
It was a great little commentary. I was very surprised to hear that he only received two bad beats and only gave two bad beats the entire tournament.
im sure he gave more than two...he gave two at the final table

Giving out two bad beats in that long of a span (the final table had to have taken a looong time) is really not lucky at all. He's obviously a good player...I don't get why people say otherwise.

Giving out two bad beats in that long of a span (the final table had to have taken a looong time) is really not lucky at all. He's obviously a good player...I don't get why people say otherwise.
Josh Arieh's wife told me yesterday that it was pretty tough being a spectator for the final table because you don't have any idea what the players have and because it goes on for such a long time. A E

I really liked the fossilman commentary. I knew he was a good player, but his analysis was really great. I think that we will definetly see a lot more of him now that he is fulltime instead of a really good player with a good job.

Ever since seeing the 2004 wsop main event, I have had a great respect for Raymer, despite all the heat he has taken. You don't beat a field that big without a great amount of skill.I hope he plays and wins more.

I played with a pro who has played a great deal of hours with Raymer, and the pro said that Raymer is much, much better than the previous champ, Moneymaker. After I watched the WSOP this past year, all i could think was that Raymer got really lucky to win that, and yes he did, but you can't win a tourney like that without getting lucky sometimes. After hearing how much respect this pro gave Raymer, I've been able to accept him more as a good poker player and a great ambassador for poker.

The final table lasted about 9 hours I was there. They had a dinner break about six and the final 3 only lasted about an hour.

Yeah, a lot of people identified Raymer with Moneymaker. Couldn't be farther from the truth. In reality, Greg Raymer had been beating up on the best games Foxwoods had to offer for a few years. His win was surprising, but nowhere NEAR as surprising as Varkoyni/Moneymaker's were. He was a very very very good card player who wielded his stack with cruel, cruel efficiency.

I caught most of that, and I was glad to see a genuine respect for everyone else there. There was a point when he really backed Dan Harrington on a decision he had made that he apparently got a lot of flack about.Another thing that was good to hear/see was Raymer's explanation that Josh Arieh had apologized about his comment to David Williams after getting knocked ("Bust this motherf***er"). He explained it as a comment to let Williams know that he was still in it and was to fire him up. I think Josh Arieh is an extremely good player and it was nice to have that little mark cleared up.All in all, worth watching.

[sarcasm]But Raymer *couldn't* have been a good player, he wasn't on TV prior to winning the WSOP![/sarcasm] :roll:(Actually, Raymer WAS on ESPN prior to the 2004 WSOP. If you're paying attention, you'll see him in the background during Varkonyi's win in 2002.

Where/when was this commentary aired?
It was on ESPN. It'll be on again. Soon. Later. And then again. Much.It debuted, as far as I know, on Super Bowl Sunday.

What was the show called? And by the way, I don't claim to be an expert in the poker world but I think all will be settled about how good this guy is when we see next years' WSOP. Moneymaker went out the first day of this years event. I think?!!??!! I honestly don't give him much respect past winning the tourney. And for all the "well he won the tourney and that's respect" arguments....N.C. state wins the NCAA in '83 (I think) and what have they done since? The same can be said for a dime a dozen other schools. Point is, people are good but not great. And I was at the bookstore today and saw Moneymaker has a book out. Gimme a break! The only news I've heard about that guy since 2003 was a book and a pokerstars commercial. lol. By the way, if any of you guys buy that you are a tool and a sucker for marketing. He even subtitles bluffs on the cover. But I can't blame him for trying to make a buck. I'd do the same thing.

I don't claim to be an expert in the poker world but I think all will be settled about how good this guy is when we see next years' WSOP. Moneymaker went out the first day of this years event. I think?!!??!!
well daniel, sami farha, men nyguyn, antonio esfandiari, and phil ivey went out on the first day too, does that mean that John Murphy is a better player than them? Obviously the answer is no, you can't take those types of results too seriously as Moneymaker himself nearly made the $5000 Omaha final table that Ted Lawson won. Raymer plays high limit and has made it to major final tables before, he won a stud event at foxwoods a few years ago and made it to the final table of the main event of the foxwoods tourny before the wpt was in existence. Raymer plays high limit poker, and he's a big guy on the east coast( no pun intended). You'll see him again at a final table now that he is playing full time