daniel..quick question for you

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon man, I'm rich BIIIIIIIIATCH!!!!!! LOL. When things settle down I'll be taking classes for sure. Writing, vegetarian cooking, golf, Bible study classes, public speaking, and all kinds....
For those of us in the UWBC we should be a little offended here. This was a perfect time when Daniel could include us in his classes. We all know that under water basket weaving is growing in popularity amongst college kids. But, ooooooh no. First it's hockey, then it's "other" stuff. We are destined to be shunned from society. Be strong. And Good Luck.
Dn please filter the word biaaattcch!!! IT offends me.
I think it's better than coming right out and saying 'bitch' now that's offensive. (i know i'm new, but i gotta start somewhere.)
C'mon man, I'm rich BIIIIIIIIATCH!!!!!! LOL.  When things settle down I'll be taking classes for sure.  Writing, vegetarian cooking, golf, Bible study classes, public speaking, and all kinds....
I wish I had a golf class in college, it would have helped my GPA.
C'mon man, I'm rich BIIIIIIIIATCH!!!!!! LOL.  When things settle down I'll be taking classes for sure.  Writing, vegetarian cooking, golf, Bible study classes, public speaking, and all kinds....
:club: You should do well in the writing part. I'd say that will be an easy A.
Thank you for stealing my stuff...if you need a comedy writer....I charge $40 an hour plus expenses..... :wink: Daniel....you are the perfect candidate for a reality series.....ESPN should do one on you like they did on Shaquille O'neal last year....any chance that this is something that's in the works?
C'mon man, I'm rich BIIIIIIIIATCH!!!!!! LOL. When things settle down I'll be taking classes for sure. Writing, vegetarian cooking, golf, Bible study classes, public speaking, and all kinds....
I wish I had a golf class in college, it would have helped my GPA.
I dont just have one. Im majoring in it :-)

Man, Daniel, what you should do is get an honorary professorship - teach one class on 'applied statistics' or something, then just crash all your colleauges' classes. I will say one thing to the other posters in this thread - I went to school studying something I hated at a time when I didn't want to be there with money as my motivation and long story short I don't have a lot of money ATM. At least I didn't know about sports betting at the time or I probably would have went out like the guy on Tilt that was running a book in his dorm.

I teach a class on Public Speaking here in Grand Rapids....

Seeing his choice list of classes is depressing, since I'm a ChemE and have math and science up and azz.And whoever said that people out of college make as much money as people in college, you are a genius. I'll see you at retirement nOOb.

Thank you for stealing my stuff...if you need a comedy writer....I charge $40 an hour plus expenses..... :wink: Daniel....you are the perfect candidate for a reality series.....ESPN should do one on you like they did on Shaquille O'neal last year....any chance that this is something that's in the works?
A couple of blogs ago he made a comment like, next year you're going to be sick of seeing me on TV. That sounds like he's getting his own show to me, I'm thinking maybe something with MTV since he's worked a lot with them in the past. Best Case Scenario: He's a new character on Laguna Beach Season 3.
he's talking about enriching his life with higher education
"Enriching his life" bah. I am a college graduate and do you know what all those fucking GenEd classes got me...nothing. I would have been better off painting on my own or hell the books I read in my free time in college gave me more fulfillment than those classes.
(sounds corney but theres some censored you can learn at uni that you wont learn anywhere else).
This is absolutely 100% NOT true. Even chem labs can be done if you just open a damn book. Sure you might not get the 'safety features' you get in college, but I am pretty sure I don't need the safety goggles, lab coat, gloves and hair net to mix baking soda and vinegar.
Plus theres lots of hot chicks at uni :club:
This part I agree with completely. There was nothing better than incoming freshman chicks. :wink:
I think if you are going to charge Daniel $40/hour for that line you might want to clear it with Dave Chappelle first. Maybe next time Daniel will just spend his $40 on the DVD of the first season of the Chappelle Show and cut you out of the equation....:wink:
I'd be willing to bet you have a brain with defficiencies. People who to go college and graduate statistically make well more than people who do not.Thank you for your time.
They also start Life in debt and behind the other little cars filled with blue and pink dots.
if you think people go to college to make money you might be a little mistaken.  i'd be willing to bet that car salesmen make more than 15% of  the graduates out there.
Actually, I'd agree with that. For those of you who don't believe it, come by the local college sometime and have a look around. Some of us are there to play poker and avoid starting a career, not to get an education. Plus, the bell curve and all that.
(sounds corney but theres some censored you can learn at uni that you wont learn anywhere else).
This is absolutely 100% NOT true. Even chem labs can be done if you just open a damn book. Sure you might not get the 'safety features' you get in college, but I am pretty sure I don't need the safety goggles, lab coat, gloves and hair net to mix baking soda and vinegar.
I generally agree with you Rybo but in some cases it's much less expensive to learn at university. For example, I'm a business student, the things I'm learning in the higher-level classes simply can't be taught through a book alone, the help of other students is essential. It could all be learned through trial and error in the working world but error costs a lot of money. Also there's the social intangibles you 'learn' in the university environment which can't be taught in a book.
I generally agree with you Rybo but in some cases it's much less expensive to learn at university. For example, I'm a business student, the things I'm learning in the higher-level classes simply can't be taught through a book alone, the help of other students is essential. It could all be learned through trial and error in the working world but error costs a lot of money. Also there's the social intangibles you 'learn' in the university environment which can't be taught in a book.
I might agree with this one if you are a recluse and never go out to meet people or if you don't follow your dream of getting into the business world and learn by doing. It's not like a business is going to start you out at the top, they are going to give you menial tasks before they let you 'cost [them] money' all the while you would be picking up these 'intangibles.' Therefore I maintain my previous hypothesis that a college education can be obtained, solely on your own and that people go to college to eventually make some money.

I was speaking more from the entrepreneurial side of things where there is no 'them' to cover your losses or slowly bring you along. Learning before you act in self-employment is vital if you want to have nice things, such as food.I still stand by the social learning point, the work environment is totally different than college. Added to that is the extensive networking you do with hundreds of future workers in your field, an opportunity you wouldn't have to the same extent if you just started plugging away at a job.

I was speaking more from the entrepreneurial side of things where there is no 'them' to cover your losses or slowly bring you along. Learning before you act in self-employment is vital if you want to have nice things, such as food.I still stand by the social learning point, the work environment is totally different than college. Added to that is the extensive networking you do with hundreds of future workers in your field, an opportunity you wouldn't have to the same extent if you just started plugging away at a job.
Granted...but do you know how many of those 'future workers,' with whom I spent so much money to 'network,' I actually work with?...2. Do you know how much of an impact they have on my career at this point...0. So, again, I stand by my statement.And as far as self employment goes, obviously "Learning before you act in self-employment is vital if you want to have nice things." What I am saying is, why not talk to someone who actually started their own business. You would get much more out of it than you would in a classroom.Am I saying don't go to college?...No. If you don't then you are stuck with whatever job you can find. A college degree gives you choices. I am simply saying that it SHOULD NOT be weighted as much as it is. Employment should be based on ability not a fucking piece of paper with my name on it.

Absolutely, I'm not saying college is the right move for everyone. You haven't had much use for networking but it's different for me (and most business students). In my field it's often not what you know but who you know.Some may find it more beneficial to talk with people who started their own business instead of going to college, again it depends on the person. I'm doing both. The reason I'm following this path is because I need to have a broad range of experience and knowledge; you never know what abilities you'll need at what time in entrepreneurship.I don't believe talking to someone who started their own business would be an equivalent to learning at college. First of all, it would obviously take a long time to get a full education from one person and you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to help you that way for so long. While you can learn how things work in practice from them, university teaches you the theory behind it and how that theory applies to the real world. You could learn the theory on your own through reading but the professors and other students help you understand the link between the theory and practice. Just like in poker, it's impossible to teach someone how to respond to every situation but if they understand what's going on they're more likely to make a good decision.I agree that each person should be judged based on their abilities rather than what's hanging on their walls, the problem there is how do you judge someone's abilities? I see in your profile you're an engineer, it may be more simple to do this in your field but, for example, how about someone in human resources? Generally they work with a number of colleagues, it's near impossible to accurately measure each person's contribution due to the type of work they do. While it's not a cut and dry measure of ability, a college degree can show employers which people are more likely to perform well.

Absolutely, I'm not saying college is the right move for everyone. You haven't had much use for networking but it's different for me (and most business students). In my field it's often not what you know but who you know.Some may find it more beneficial to talk with people who started their own business instead of going to college, again it depends on the person. I'm doing both. The reason I'm following this path is because I need to have a broad range of experience and knowledge; you never know what abilities you'll need at what time in entrepreneurship.I don't believe talking to someone who started their own business would be an equivalent to learning at college. First of all, it would obviously take a long time to get a full education from one person and you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to help you that way for so long. While you can learn how things work in practice from them, university teaches you the theory behind it and how that theory applies to the real world. You could learn the theory on your own through reading but the professors and other students help you understand the link between the theory and practice. Just like in poker, it's impossible to teach someone how to respond to every situation but if they understand what's going on they're more likely to make a good decision.I agree that each person should be judged based on their abilities rather than what's hanging on their walls, the problem there is how do you judge someone's abilities? I see in your profile you're an engineer, it may be more simple to do this in your field but, for example, how about someone in human resources? Generally they work with a number of colleagues, it's near impossible to accurately measure each person's contribution due to the type of work they do. While it's not a cut and dry measure of ability, a college degree can show employers which people are more likely to perform well.
Good points, not saying you're wrong, just think it can be done my way too. I am done now, off to talk about stupid stuff like where is moneymaker or something.