never trust a poker player

last night in a home game about 10 hands in, i was SB going up against the BB (50/100). Everyone folds to us, i limp blind, he just checks. i say "check blind" (Phill Helmuth style) the flop came 10 6 4 different suits, as he is looking at the board and i quickly check my hole cards (10, J off) very discrete.He looks at me like i'm a moron, checks his cards again and fires out a bet double the pot (400). i say "you know......what the hell, i'm all in" with about 1600 left. he gets heated, i mean pissed. he asked me if i looked at my cards, i say "no". he quickly calls and flips AQ off. I expose my J10 and just smile.now i know it wasnt the best move and i was really afraid once he called he would catch a A or Q but i took a nice pot and cant believe i pulled it off. he compained all night how i lied to him

last night in a home game about 10 hands in, i was SB going up against the BB (50/100).  Everyone folds to us, i limp blind, he just checks.  i say "check blind" (Phill Helmuth style) the flop came 10 6 4 different suits, as he is looking at the board and i quickly check my hole cards (10, J off) very discrete.He looks at me like i'm a moron, checks his cards again and fires out a bet double the pot (400).   i say "you know......what the hell, i'm all in"  with about 1600 left.  he gets heated, i mean censored.   he asked me if i looked at my cards, i say "no".  he quickly calls and flips AQ off.  I expose my J10 and just smile.now i know it wasnt the best move and i was really afraid once he called he would catch a A or Q but i took a nice pot and cant believe i pulled it off.  he compained all night how i lied to him
you sir, are a douchebag. yes, he should not have trusted you, but you also shoulda) not have outright lied. there are things you can do at the poker table that are more or less lies, but outright lying like that is simple douchebaggery.B) not cared so much about a home game. unless this home game is held at the bellagio and there are bracelets on the line, it should not mean so much to you that you should be lying to your friends (or friends of friends) just to win a pot.Daniel

for the record he was a donkey who couldnt even count out his chips. he was not a friend. AND he actually busted my 2 pair in the 1st tourney by chasing a str8. i thought it was fair. i dont think it went down as an actuall lie, he asked if i looked and i kind of shruged like i was saying no. the card table is a rough place and he learned that lesson last night.as i recall Chan pulled some move on a rookie at this yrs WSOP.Kurt, dont worry. i would never try anything like that with friends or players who i respect and know how to play. i saw an edge and i took it.

last night in a home game about 10 hands in, i was SB going up against the BB (50/100).  Everyone folds to us, i limp blind, he just checks.  i say "check blind" (Phill Helmuth style) the flop came 10 6 4 different suits, as he is looking at the board and i quickly check my hole cards (10, J off) very discrete.He looks at me like i'm a moron, checks his cards again and fires out a bet double the pot (400).   i say "you know......what the hell, i'm all in"  with about 1600 left.  he gets heated, i mean censored.   he asked me if i looked at my cards, i say "no".  he quickly calls and flips AQ off.  I expose my J10 and just smile.now i know it wasnt the best move and i was really afraid once he called he would catch a A or Q but i took a nice pot and cant believe i pulled it off.  he compained all night how i lied to him
you sir, are a douchebag. yes, he should not have trusted you, but you also shoulda) not have outright lied. there are things you can do at the poker table that are more or less lies, but outright lying like that is simple douchebaggery.B) not cared so much about a home game. unless this home game is held at the bellagio and there are bracelets on the line, it should not mean so much to you that you should be lying to your friends (or friends of friends) just to win a pot.Daniel
What a great word.And yes his play was such.

You know what I retract my previous post, yes I am very fond of the word douchebaggery but I hate playing with donks sometimes.I used to get mad blah blah blah over it now. I'm actually kind of glad he punked that guy.If some random guy came to my HG, and tried to ask me if I looked at my cards, I would laugh in his face and tell him to insert one stack of 20 chips down his throat and proceed to masterbate profusely.(SW)

a) not have outright lied. there are things you can do at the poker table that are more or less lies, but outright lying like that is simple douchebaggery. I don't agree. If someone asks another player a question like that they should EXPECT that the player will lie.Recent WSOP episode:Sheikhan: If I say I want action, you'll call?Matusow: YesSheikhan: I want action.Matusow folds, and yucks it up.

you sir, are a douchebag.  yes, he should not have trusted you, but you also shoulda) not have outright lied.  there are things you can do at the poker table that are more or less lies, but outright lying like that is simple douchebaggery.B) not cared so much about a home game.  unless this home game is held at the bellagio and there are bracelets on the line, it should not mean so much to you that you should be lying to your friends (or friends of friends) just to win a pot.Daniel
I disagree. His friend never should have asked him if he had looked in the first place. He did not cheat, and thus did nothing wrong. If you believe what a player says at the table, it is you who is the moron.My two cents.

There's a local poker pro here in Vegas who uses this move against tourists all the time.I won't mention his name, he's not well known in the t.v. sense but among the poker crowd here in town they all know who he is.Anyway when all the tourists are glancing at their cards he quickly glances at his and then announces he's calling or raising blind.Is it an angle? Hell I don't know.But it's funny.This is poker people. It's all about mind games.How is this guy's "lying" about not looking at his cards any worse than telling someone "you made a good lay down." when you got him to lay down TPTK when all you had was 9/2 off?They are both lies...they are both...BLUFFS.

it should not mean so much to you that you should be lying to your friends (or friends of friends) just to win a pot.Daniel
I find people that soft play friends to be more offensive than anything this guy did during this hand.
last night in a home game about 10 hands in, i was SB going up against the BB (50/100). Everyone folds to us, i limp blind, he just checks. i say "check blind" (Phill Helmuth style) the flop came 10 6 4 different suits, as he is looking at the board and i quickly check my hole cards (10, J off) very discrete.He looks at me like i'm a moron, checks his cards again and fires out a bet double the pot (400). i say "you know......what the hell, i'm all in" with about 1600 left. he gets heated, i mean censored. he asked me if i looked at my cards, i say "no". he quickly calls and flips AQ off. I expose my J10 and just smile.now i know it wasnt the best move and i was really afraid once he called he would catch a A or Q but i took a nice pot and cant believe i pulled it off. he compained all night how i lied to him
you sir, are a douchebag. yes, he should not have trusted you, but you also shoulda) not have outright lied. there are things you can do at the poker table that are more or less lies, but outright lying like that is simple douchebaggery.b) not cared so much about a home game. unless this home game is held at the bellagio and there are bracelets on the line, it should not mean so much to you that you should be lying to your friends (or friends of friends) just to win a pot.Daniel
Who says you shouldn't have out right lied? Because the Bible says so? Please! That got what he deserved for believe him. LOL If my friend suckered me into calling when I thought he hadn't looked, that I would have just laughed. News flash, lying is part of poker. Points for douchebaggery.On another note, how ever, if your friend had a lick of sense, he wouldn't have believed you, and your silly hollywooding would have killed your action.
it should not mean so much to you that you should be lying to your friends (or friends of friends) just to win a pot.Daniel
I find people that soft play friends to be more offensive than anything this guy did during this hand.
You know what I found offensive? That last five minutes of My life I wasted at muckyou.com. Those shirts are the stupidest shit I've ever seen. Anyone wearing them I'd imediatly mark as a fish
You know what I found offensive? That last five minutes of My life I wasted at muckyou.com. Those shirts are the stupidest censored I've ever seen. Anyone wearing them I'd imediatly mark as a fish
last night in a home game about 10 hands in, i was SB going up against the BB (50/100). Everyone folds to us, i limp blind, he just checks. i say "check blind" (Phill Helmuth style) the flop came 10 6 4 different suits, as he is looking at the board and i quickly check my hole cards (10, J off) very discrete.He looks at me like i'm a moron, checks his cards again and fires out a bet double the pot (400). i say "you know......what the hell, i'm all in" with about 1600 left. he gets heated, i mean censored. he asked me if i looked at my cards, i say "no". he quickly calls and flips AQ off. I expose my J10 and just smile.now i know it wasnt the best move and i was really afraid once he called he would catch a A or Q but i took a nice pot and cant believe i pulled it off. he compained all night how i lied to him
Nice Kool Moe Dee avitar, btw..
You know what I found offensive? That last five minutes of My life I wasted at muckyou.com. Those shirts are the stupidest censored I've ever seen. Anyone wearing them I'd imediatly mark as a fish
Can I use this on our testimonials page?I'm serious.

you sir, are a douchebag. yes, he should not have trusted you, but you also shoulda) not have outright lied. there are things you can do at the poker table that are more or less lies, but outright lying like that is simple douchebaggery.B) not cared so much about a home game. unless this home game is held at the bellagio and there are bracelets on the line, it should not mean so much to you that you should be lying to your friends (or friends of friends) just to win a pot.Danielare you kidding me?its poker.

First and foremost, I like the word douchebaggery.Second, a good answer that I use in a situation like this is, "If I said yes would you believe me?" You can use this line for many questions players often ask, "did you hit your flush, str8..." or "are you bluffing?"Sometimes you might want to pause just before saying YES and flip a coin where everyone can see it saying,"heads equals yes, tails equals no" then continue on with the rest of the line. This adds some drama. Let me know how it works out. Take care, owise1