Hand 153 - Phil Hellmuth has the button in seat 4, unknown action (no flop). Hellmuth says, "You know I finished second in this event last year. There's only one way to improve." To that, Matusow responds, "If you keep getting INVITED to tournaments, it's easy to finish second." SFO!!!!!!!

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timely suck-out by Matusow w/ the AQ.  Not too terrified anymore about Corkins.
Well, MM was probably right in thinking it was okay to try to double up with AQ. 3 handed, MM probably thinks hes up against a lower pair (or the highest pair he could worry about normally is kings). If hes up against ace jack-ace-lower hes dominating.It wasnt a bad play by MM.
Oh I totally agree, and don't think it was a bad play either (unless i literally know he has AK - like if hoyt showed me his hand). I didn't mean to imply that it was a bad play. However, it was a suck-out.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!Phil Hellmuth Eliminated in 3rd Place ($250,000) Log: Hand 158 - Mike Matusow has the button in seat 9, and Hellmuth moves all in from the small blind, and Corkins goes into the tank for several minutes to consider the situation. Corkins finally calls, showing Ks-5d, which is a slight favorite over Hellmuth's 10c-8c. Hellmuth needs to improve to stay alive here. The flop comes 7d-7h-4s, and Corkins is still in the lead with king high. Hellmuth needs an eight, a ten, or a runner-runner straight to stay alive. The turn card is the 4c, giving Hellmuth another four outs to a chop. The river card is the 6s, and Phil Hellmuth is eliminated in third place, earning $250,000. There will be a 15-minute break before heads-up play begins between Mike Matusow and Hoyt Corkins. and corkins got him too, so now hes got some chips to work with

Matusow made a comment that shows he agrees with DN's comment reguarding the special exceptions made for the TOC....Hellmuth says, "You know I finished second in this event last year. There's only one way to improve." To that, Matusow responds, "If you keep getting INVITED to tournaments, it's easy to finish second."

Lets see how Hoyt plays THIS heads up match. If all he does is move all in pre-flop again, Mikey will call him with....hmmmm...What do you think?Consider that Mike has seen his footage from foxwoods and the PSC.I would say Mike would call with KJ or better (This is considering that Hoyt would move all in all the time)

I can't believe Hoyt called with K5. Why the hell would you call with something that you are a moderate favorite with AT BEST?  Whatever, he outlasted 108/111 people, and made a quarter of a $million.
FYP.gg phil.Matasow better take this down or I will cry. Not really, but it will be a sad thing to watch the 400 times that ESPN is going to air it.-fop
Mike deserves to win this thing.  He deserved to win the ME too, great freaking player.
Change your avatar back....
No, this one is staying for a little bit. I put the Alexis Bledel one up and everyone bitched that it wasn't a good enough one. 8)
Guest Zach6668
Mike deserves to win this thing.  He deserved to win the ME too, great freaking player.
Change your avatar back....
No, this one is staying for a little bit. I put the Alexis Bledel one up and everyone bitched that it wasn't a good enough one. 8)
Lol, alright... it's just so much less satisfying looking at Mikey than Alexis...

Phil Hellmuth has been talking to ESPN in his exit interview, and (not surprisingly) he's had plenty to say. He started out by talking about how freaking lucky Hoyt Corkins has been, because he was pushing all in, all in, all in, and the very few times Hellmuth calls him with premium hands, Corkins has aces or something. He also pointd out that Corkins must have won 70-80% of their blind vs. blind situations. He said the general public won't even be able to comprehend how unlucky he got at this final table. He went on to say that this was among the top four performances he's ever had in a tournament. He was never in a pot for all of his chips until very late at the final table, when he got it in with pocket jacks against Matusow's K-J. He was pleased with his play, but very displeased with the results. When asked how he felt about third place, he said, "Who cares about third place? I play to win. Nobody remembers third place."