I have been thinking about a couple of games over the last few months. The more I think about it, the more it was like I was in that "zone" that athletes talk about. One day I had a unbelieveable run of cards for 2+ hours! It was like I knew I would win 2 out of 3 hands. I got to a point where I would play less than great starters and still make the best hand, over and over.Another time, I was playing a low limit game where I isolated a couple of players at my table and I was able to do whatever I wanted against them and took about 75% of their stacks.Has anyone else experienced that? Is it something that comes when you get better or just pure luck?

well at least the long standing question of who is God's gift to poker has been solved.now what the hell we gonna talk about ;/

well at least the long standing question of who is God's gift to poker has been solved.now what the hell we gonna talk about ;/
Yikes! Thanks for the response. Because it happens twice in my lifetime, I am now god's gift to poker. Thanks, buddy.Let's talk about isolating opponents in low/medium limit games... Good idea? Only works when we are lucky? Could cause you to go broke?Or we could talk about the feeling of being in the "zone" for a session.Or, we could make fun of me some more. :club:

It's called luck man, seriously w/ the stupidity.If u want to learn about isolation read a poker book of course it has its advantages and disadvantages.

It's called luck man, seriously w/ the stupidity.If u want to learn about isolation read a poker book of course it has its advantages and disadvantages.
What is your deal? If you don't like the subject, find another one. Not a big deal! Or is it and I am just "stupid?"

i vote for

Or, we could make fun of me some more. :club:
but if you insist that you are serious i will point you to the numerious threads on variance, shorterm luck, longterm skill, etc etcits awesome you had a great run, but it a mathematical certainty that it will not continue.wait til you get 10,000 to 100,000 hands and see what your average BB/100 is then we can take you more serious; not after a 2 hour session.oh yea read SSHE and stuff too
but if you insist that you are serious i will point you to the numerious threads on variance, shorterm luck, longterm skill, etc etcits awesome you had a great run, but it a mathematical certainty that it will not continue.wait til you get 10,000 to 100,000 hands and see what your average BB/100 is then we can take you more serious; not after a 2 hour session.oh yea read SSHE and stuff too
The great and powerful DNA has spoken :club:
i vote for
Thanks for the info. I pretty much get the fact that over time the cards will even out. Since I have played only about 7000 nl tournament hands and about 100 hours of limit games, I feel that I could be getting better or just lucky. Looking for the people with more experience to tell me about how often this happens as you improve (or something to that effect).

Yesterday I was playing a $100 SnG, and we got down to the bubble, 4 players left. I had 1/2 the chips in play, so I commenced to bullying. I went all in almost every hand, knowing no one wanted the bubble finish. When we finally got to 3, I was so large I continued my all in fest, easily knocking the other 2 out quickly. Final hand: my 68 suited took out A5 suited, lol. I felt like I was in the zone, but I recognize it was "situation induced".

It will happen, but it is luck. Luck makes you feel invincible. All your plays work out, you never get bad beated, and your confidence soars. Trust me it will not last long. Two months from now you wil be thinking the opposite.P.S. oh and btw never judge your poker competence by how you play when you are running good. It will really show when you are running bad.

It will happen, but it is luck. Luck makes you feel invincible. All your plays work out, you never get bad beated, and your confidence soars. Trust me it will not last long. Two months from now you wil be thinking the opposite.P.S. oh and btw never judge your poker competence by how you play when you are running good. It will really show when you are running bad.
Being in the zone isn't always luck. As I stated in my previous post, it can be "situation induced". The trick is to recognize the situation your in and exploit it for all its worth.

i really agree with the situationally induced statement. often what appears to be luck or running hot is actually exploiting a definative advantage.

being "in the zone" isnt really the same as having one of those magical runs of cards like you only read about. Being in the zone would mean your making correct and amazing reads on every single hand. good run of cards is just luck. monkeys could make profit with good cards

Being in the zone isn't always luck. As I stated in my previous post, it can be "situation induced". The trick is to recognize the situation your in and exploit it for all its worth.
I was answering the OPs post read it and then read my answer again. I wasnt generaizing I was speaking to his experience.
I was answering the OPs post read it and then read my answer again. I wasnt generaizing I was speaking to his experience.
I understand what you're saying, and I didn't mean to imply you were wrong. I was just elaborating on what you said. I do agree lucky streaks happen, and you should never analyze your game based on a lucky run of cards.

Doyle says in Super System that if you don't try to create your rushes or push them you will never have them. Luck and skill combine to create these rushes many times. A skilled player can break a table if he is running hot, an average player could get the same run of cards in the same seat and not win nearly as much because they don't know how to keep applying the pressure. Rushes happen. There's no luck in poker though, right?

i vote for
Thanks for the info. I pretty much get the fact that over time the cards will even out. Since I have played only about 7000 nl tournament hands and about 100 hours of limit games, I feel that I could be getting better or just lucky. Looking for the people with more experience to tell me about how often this happens as you improve (or something to that effect).
If you are serious about learning check out the Strategy section of the forum.
being "in the zone" isnt really the same as having one of those magical runs of cards like you only read about. Being in the zone would mean your making correct and amazing reads on every single hand. good run of cards is just luck. monkeys could make profit with good cards
And they do...http://newtechusa.com/humor/poker01.asphttp://www.primatepoker.com/
Gotcha, but make sure that OP understands his particular circumstance is due to luck. He is looking for validation where he can get it, but what he really needs is a dose of reality.
Who needs validation? I park for free... I am looking to learn. Reality is all around me and you can give it to me in any dose you would like. I understand the luck part. What I don't think some people reading my original post is the "in the zone" part. It is what athletes say when a game (or part of a game) seems to go in slow motion. They can see the whole field and you feel like you can accomplish anything. This feeling doesn't happen to me everytime I play. In a couple of cases it has and I want to (and already have from some nice posts) discuss other people's experiences with this, if any.P.S. I usually only read Daniel's posts on this forum. Are most people in here a$$h***$? Or am I just running into them today? I have got a fever! And the only perscription is poker (... and more cowbell).
Gotcha, but make sure that OP understands his particular circumstance is due to luck. He is looking for validation where he can get it, but what he really needs is a dose of reality.
Who needs validation? I park for free... I am looking to learn. Reality is all around me and you can give it to me in any dose you would like. I understand the luck part. What I don't think some people reading my original post is the "in the zone" part. It is what athletes say when a game (or part of a game) seems to go in slow motion. They can see the whole field and you feel like you can accomplish anything. This feeling doesn't happen to me everytime I play. In a couple of cases it has and I want to (and already have from some nice posts) discuss other people's experiences with this, if any.P.S. I usually only read Daniel's posts on this forum. Are most people in here a$$h***$? Or am I just running into them today? I have got a fever! And the only perscription is poker (... and more cowbell).
No we are not assholes. You are on a good run and you want to brag. You need a reality check. By your own admission you have been playin shitty cards. Let me know when all your reads are correct but you continue to get sucked out on or you continue to make good decisions but lose anyway, etc. We are happy you are on a rush, but you have to understand that confidence level in poker is bi-polar. One minute you are making sick reads or are outplaying your opponent and the next every decision you make blows up in your face. I'm sure we'd be happy to look at some hands in strat to see just how "in the zone" you really are. Otherwise I'll assume that you are just running good.