**warning** virus aim from sdogg1010 **warning**

Just to let you all know, I got an IM from sdogg1010 on AOL Instant Messenger that was a link to a file to download an EXE file. I'm sure he got my AIM name from here.DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT.

yes...do not download it. Sorry man, this is Shawn, we met at the Ohio State thing. I don't know how i got it, but I'm trying to figure it out. SORRY!

yes...do not download it. Sorry man, this is Shawn, we met at the Ohio State thing. I don't know how i got it, but I'm trying to figure it out. SORRY!
Yea, I knew it wasn't you and wasn't sure if you would be around.
Uhm, it was him. Hence the apology.
Um, no, it's an AIM trojan. I know him so I was on his buddy list. It mass IMs everyone on the list. CLICK HERE FOR INFO. ON IT.
Um, no, it's an AIM trojan. I know him so I was on his buddy list. It mass IMs everyone on the list. CLICK HERE FOR INFO. ON IT.
Uhm, it came from him, that's what I meant.Not that he did it on purpose.

maybe uninstall AIM and make sure the root folder gets deleted. If that doesnt work, just search something like aim under .exe's as it might be in the trojan name. If you dont have an antivirus already, I would suggest AVG. www.grisoft.com

Who in there right mind download an .exe file from someone they dont even know? just my opinion.Ford
Try reading the post. He knew him. Moron.
I didn't download it. Sean got it from a buddy of his. So, it's past us two that someone downloaded it from someone they didn't know.

I used to deal with this stuff semi-professionally.First of all, DO NOT HASTILY REFORMAT YOUR HARDDRIVE!!!Take a step back. Shut down your machine.Okay something bad got in there. Do you have Norton on your machine? I'd guess not. If not go buy it. After you've bought it. Read the manual - yes the whole friggin thing. Get it installed on you computer.Norton should be able to solve it.After that, keep Norton internet security running. Also get Ad-Aware, and Spybot. They are your friends.

I used to deal with this stuff semi-professionally.First of all, DO NOT HASTILY REFORMAT YOUR HARDDRIVE!!!Take a step back. Shut down your machine.Okay something bad got in there. Do you have Norton on your machine? I'd guess not. If not go buy it. After you've bought it. Read the manual - yes the whole friggin thing. Get it installed on you computer.Norton should be able to solve it.After that, keep Norton internet security running. Also get Ad-Aware, and Spybot. They are your friends.
good point about not hastily reformating but sometimes in the end its better to just do it. last year i got a virus or spyware or something like that and thought i fixed it. the problem was thier was always a piece of it left no matter what i did untill i reformatted. but forsure try and fix it without going through the hassle of reformating.

Don't you guys regularly reformat anyway? I don't have Norton or anything of the like and I (as well as almost everyone on here I hope) use firefox and reformat every 3-4 months. Never had a problem with anything. ANYWAY I would just delete AIM and start from scratch. No harm no foul.

I have Norton, and it was running. I still got it somehow, and now when I start my computer it says that I have some virus called HackTool. This is BS.

I have to Veto the Norton suggestion. Both Norton and McAffee AV programs have gotten so intrusive that you have to deal with them on a daily basis just to keep the annoying little announcements from popping up. Windows Security Center is intrusive enough without having to deal with it AND an aftermarket bloatware package. I have been using a combination of free AV programs (AVG and a new one, can't remember the name), Ad-Aware, and the free Microsoft Adware utility. They all run automatically, and update themselves, so I don't have to think about it. Every once in a while, I'll come across a new trojan that slips through the cracks. Every time I go to find the cleaner for that particular trojan, I see reports from people running Norton and McAffee that also got the trojan, so I know that my system is working just as well as those programs.As to the current problem, I suggest that you do a Google search on "HackTool" and see if you can find a cleaner utility for that specific virus. I had one recently that had no elegant solution, and I ended up having to edit my registry manually to get rid of the virus...but I found the instructions on links from Google.