wsop quiz question..........

On the bubble of the main event of the WSOP.YOU are in late position with pocket Aces and have an average stack.The chip leader at your table moves all in from middle position.What do you do?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

uhh....call? why would you fold
I never said that you should. Read the post again. I'd rather not go into too much detail, but lets just say that not everyone would call.
On the bubble of the main event of the WSOP.YOU are in late position with pocket Aces and have an average stack.The chip leader at your table moves all in from middle position.What do you do?
Depends how important the 'guarenteed' $12,500 is to you.If it means a lot its an easy fold because there is at least a 15% chance of busting out with nothing.Otherwise its a pretty straight forward call.
Anyone who folds in this spot shouldn't have been playing in the first place.
If you won your way in to the WSOP from a freeroll or a low buy in event and $12,500 is going to make a big difference to your life you fold...

I'd call... are you really playing the WSOP main event to get your money back? People put too much emphasis on making the money compared to winning an event.

Unless your broke it is an easy call. Besides you get a free entry into the event next year if you are on the bubble. So it's like a $2,500 difference.

Unless your broke it is an easy call. Besides you get a free entry into the event next year if you are on the bubble. So it's like a $2,500 difference.
I don't think they gave everyone a free entry into the WSOP every time they went out on the bubble in the past. Nor should that be part of the equation.Let me take this a step further, and I will use myself as an example.I have gone out on the bubble or one or two away in several sizable tournaments. I usually would go out with Kings, Queens or Aces, and someone was trying to make a move with like Jack 5 and got there. It happens. Afterward, you naturally will feel sick.I'm not advocating one play or another. Of course I have my own opinion. But I'm sure there are plenty of people who won their seat into the 10k event that would've rather just taken the cash. When you're playing hand for hand, and you are that close to the money......essentially you are playing a winner take all on that hand. Just something to think about.I know everyone will try and make it seem like it's a real "no-brainer". And if $10-12,500 doesn't mean anything to you, then go right ahead.Again I ask the question, what would YOU do? There is no right or wrong answer.

If you don't call, quit playing poker. I can't stand pansy ass kids who play for the money. You know the type that run their clock all the way down when the bubble is coming in an online mtt, absolutely pathetic. If you can't gamble in this spot, you need to invest in some good mutual funds and quit disrespecting the game.

If I'm trying to win the tourney, I call.If I am trying to just make the money and say "I made the money at the WSOP" I fold.Simple as that

If you don't call, quit playing poker. I can't stand pansy ass kids who play for the money. You know the type that run their clock all the way down when the bubble is coming in an online mtt, absolutely pathetic. If you can't gamble in this spot, you need to invest in some good mutual funds and quit disrespecting the game.
Great point, I hate playing poker to win money. If I won a $40 satellite to play in the world series, I could see myself folding this hand. I still have an average chip stack and I would have $12,500 to show for it if I bust soon after. Just because I fold Aces in this hand doesn't mean I still don't have a chance to place better than just in the money in this situation.But to me, $12,500 is a lot of money. Maybe your just a high roller that wipes your A$$ with that kinda dough.
Great point, I hate playing poker to win money. If I won a $40 satellite to play in the world series, I could see myself folding this hand. I still have an average chip stack and I would have $12,500 to show for it if I bust soon after. Just because I fold Aces in this hand doesn't mean I still don't have a chance to place better than just in the money in this situation.But to me, $12,500 is a lot of money. Maybe your just a high roller that wipes your A$$ with that kinda dough.
Thank you for being honest. Towards the end of the thread I will discuss what I would have done. Good Luck.

Steve:Wasn't it Texas Dolly who told the story about when some guy asked him if there was ever a time that he would fold pocket Aces preflop in a tourney. He said yes. That's Mr. Doyle Brunson to you kiddies... folding Aces preflop.Your situation is a bit different from his though... as we have no one yet involved in the pot besides the chip leader. With us outside of the pot, the bubble isn't necessarily going to burst putting us automatically in the money if we choose to sit out.So, my position is that I don't think we can fold here and be able to live w/ ourselves in the morning.

Personally, call. This is the PERFECT spot to take a big chunk out of the chip leader's stack who is most certainly stealing blinds like a madman with any two cards, hopefully Ax in this spot, and doubling up would be huge here. No better spot in my opinion, you have to risk it.

I call. Because compared to the vast majority of the people playing in the ME near the bubble I suck. I figure I have to get lucky to win and I'm more likely to get outplayed after the flop so why not get all my chips in before the flop when I'm the favorite.

Sure 12 grand is a lot of money, but I play to win, simple as that. If I got second I would piss myself with whatever amount of millions second is, but I'd still be mad I didn't win. I sure as hell wouldn't have folded pocket aces heads up because "he's got me covered" (s/w). The money is cool, but I'm a competitor. Cards is just a game, and I want to win that game. Way I look at it, I spent 40 bucks getting here, I'm gonna take a shot at making 7.5 million. If I have aces and this guy wants to double me up trying to steal the blinds, I'd beat him in the middle. If I lose I lose, but at least I put it all out there with the best of it. Sneaking in for a comparably small cash is understandable, but I don't give it any respect when you have the chance to change your life . But take your 12,500 and buy something nice for the wife.

I'm calling here. It's not a satellite where the remaining places all get paid the same. I'd rather lose $10K than have to go home and tell people I folded AA so I could make $2500. I know you play a lot and you probably have a resoning behind y0ur question. I'd like to hear it, but I'd still call regardless.

Guest Anonymous
ANother one of these threads?
I love you.

I think you call if you're the only player in the pot since AA is a huge favorite over every other hand pre-flop. However, if two or even one player in front of you called the all-in, then you've got to reevaluate what you want to do.$12,500 is a lot of money to me. If I got in the WSOP cheaply and it represnted a huge profit, I might fold.Ok, I'm lying. Even if I could rationalize it, I don't think I could fold AA pre-flop when I have a chance to double up and place higher. Just not my style.

ANother one of these threads?
For real! I think we have every angle of this scenario covered....oh wait I just thought of one.....Let say you hold AA in late postition and some dude (chip leader) goes all in pre-flop in an early position....while you're thinking about making the call he pulls a gun an puts it against your head. Do you call?
I'm calling here. It's not a satellite where the remaining places all get paid the same. I'd rather lose $10K than have to go home and tell people I folded AA so I could make $2500. I know you play a lot and you probably have a resoning behind y0ur question. I'd like to hear it, but I'd still call regardless.
Well, if you lose, that is 10k lost. Plain and simple. If it is YOU, lets assume that you got in through some sort of satellite. Unless you had the 10k to fork over, and again if you did, this doesn't really apply. What does apply is $12500 vs. $0000 if you lose. As far as my reasoning for asking the question. I was just curious to see what most people would do. Now granted, what people would do, and what people SAY that they would do on a forum like this are two different thigs.Conversely, just because you fold or call with Aces, doesn't mean that you are going to win 7.5 million. However, if you do fold, you WILL make $12500.
Sure 12 grand is a lot of money, but I play to win, simple as that. If I got second I would censored myself with whatever amount of millions second is, but I'd still be mad I didn't win. I sure as hell wouldn't have folded pocket aces heads up because "he's got me covered" (s/w). The money is cool, but I'm a competitor. Cards is just a game, and I want to win that game. Way I look at it, I spent 40 bucks getting here, I'm gonna take a shot at making 7.5 million. If I have aces and this guy wants to double me up trying to steal the blinds, I'd beat him in the middle. If I lose I lose, but at least I put it all out there with the best of it. Sneaking in for a comparably small cash is understandable, but I don't give it any respect when you have the chance to change your life . But take your 12,500 and buy something nice for the wife.
1. I still have an average chip stack. I am by no means limited to 12,500.2. Play to win, that's great. I play poker for a profit, and I know I would have no realistic shot at 7.5 mill unless the deck smacked me in the face.3. Noone would ever know I had the aces unless I was at the feature table :club: