why is he even considered a card player

After speaking with a disheartened Mr. Moneymaker at his massive mansion in the suburbs of Nashville, I came away with a genuine feeling of sympathy. Moneymaker read this thread and contacted me saying that he had a 9mm pistol to his head and was ready to pull the trigger. He stated that he could no longer go on prancing around the world, playing in high-stakes poker tournaments, frolicking in Vegas with Playboy bunnies, retreating to his mansion with a pool fit for royalty, while at the same time having to deal with the massive amount of "hating" going on at Full Contact Poker. It was just too much for him. On top of that, he has to deal with the stress of being single again, and...coupled with his 70k a month Pokerstars endorsement contract with free entry to any tournaments of his liking, he came to the logical conclusion that life was no longer worth living. Thank you Full Contact Poker. -DD

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez the guy was on the SB, no one else is in the pot asnd he makes a move trying to pick up the blinds and antes. His cards are most likely live if called (which he didn't want of course) and it was unfortunate the BB had a hand he could call with. Have any of you actually played in a tourney?Stealing every chance you get is a absolute must if you want to keep your head above water. MM wanted to steal, not showdown, and figured this was probably the best chance he was going to get this round unless he picked up a hand.As for me, I have made two final tables in the last two days, came in 4th both times meh, but feel like I kind of know how to get deep in MTT's.Y'all are such a bunch of quick to hate, know it all's sometimes. BTW remember MM made it further than DN this year. Just a reminder.

Geez the guy was on the SB, no one else is in the pot asnd he makes a move trying to pick up the blinds and antes. His cards are most likely live if called (which he didn't want of course) and it was unfortunate the BB had a hand he could call with. Have any of you actually played in a tourney?Stealing every chance you get is a absolute must if you want to keep your head above water. MM wanted to steal, not showdown, and figured this was probably the best chance he was going to get this round unless he picked up a hand....Y'all are such a bunch of quick to hate, know it all's sometimes...

Look....Chris Moneymaker may or not be a good Poker player....Hell...he might even be a BAD player for all we know....BUT...He parlayed playing on pokerstars into a living....and you have to respect that...and if you don't...then you are just jealous.Don't hate people because they are lucky....I used to freak out when an idiot would suck out on me to bounce me out a tournament I really wanted to win.....but I don't anymore...because when you realize the massive amount of LUCK needed to win any MTT...well...you just get a certain peace of mind...I wish I was as lucky as Moneymaker.

2003 Main Event World Champion Chris Moneymaker moves all in from the small blind with 7h-2h, and is called by Jeremy Khinoo who holds A-K. The board comes K-Q-3-3-Q, and Moneymaker is sent home on Day 2 by Jeremy Khinoo's two pair with the ace kicker. So amature
I think all you losers should stop making fun of moneymaker.If DN tried to make that steal, you would be all over his ass."Oh my god, DN tried to make a move. CAn't believe the chumpcalled w/ AK. does he know who DN is???". blah blah blah

The fact that this thread is 2 pages long and NO ONE has mentioned MMs stack size, the size of the blinds and the antes, or the stack size/ playing characteristics of the BB is laughable. He had 72s in the SB and pushed all in. If the pot was a significant portion of his stack and the BB was even remotely capable of folding then pushing with any 2 when it gets folded to you in the SB becomes a fine play. 2/3 of the field or more is already out, the blinds/antes are pressumably of some significance and you don't get presented with too many stealing opportunities as good as having it folded to you in the SB. If your stack is getting light then you can't just forfeit your money constantly because you don't have a premium pair or AK. He made a move, anyone who has ever played in a tournament or an SNG should be well aware of the need to do so in a tournament. Its a very common situation. The people who are criticizing him with no knowledge whatsoever of the situation are simply broacasting their own ignorance.

I think all you losers should stop making fun of moneymaker. If DN tried to make that steal, you would be all over his ass. "Oh my god, DN tried to make a move. CAn't believe the chump called w/ AK. does he know who DN is???". blah blah blahYou obviously don't know what you are talking about. Have you been here the last month? I think it is safe to say there are a ton of people critisizing Daniel's play and saying he is playing poor.

How many chips did he have? If he has a few blinds, it's a very understandable move and you people need to lay the censored off.Give me a break, he's in the small blind, which means a simplefold here, and he gets to see an entire round of hands, for theincredibly low price of, oh, FREE.You don't think you could find a better spot in 9 hands thanto push with a 2-7???Get real
Case in point. I have no idea how you can have about 200 posts on a poker forum and still manage to know so little about poker.How about if the blinds were 500/1000 with a 100 chip ante, his stack after posting the blind was 3K, he'd folded his last 15 hands including the last time he was the sb and has a tight table imiage, and the BB was an extremely tight player with about 5K left? Still a simple fold right?BTW I have no idea if that's even close to what happened but as far as I can tell no one else does either and that's the problem.
The fact that this thread is 2 pages long and NO ONE has mentioned MMs stack size, the size of the blinds and the antes, or the stack size/ playing characteristics of the BB is laughable. He had 72s in the SB and pushed all in. If the pot was a significant portion of his stack and the BB was even remotely capable of folding then pushing with any 2 when it gets folded to you in the SB becomes a fine play. 2/3 of the field or more is already out, the blinds/antes are pressumably of some significance and you don't get presented with too many stealing opportunities as good as having it folded to you in the SB. If your stack is getting light then you can't just forfeit your money constantly because you don't have a premium pair or AK. He made a move, anyone who has ever played in a tournament or an SNG should be well aware of the need to do so in a tournament. Its a very common situation. The people who are criticizing him with no knowledge whatsoever of the situation are simply broacasting their own ignorance.
What he said.MM may not be a great player/genius but he is competent and is the primary reason imho for the boom we are all profiting from. I feel genuinely bad for the guy that he gets so little respect. He got into the ME on a 40 sat with presumably a huge field, and then goes on to win the whole thing. He is obviously not in the same league as DN or Sammy Farha for that matter, but he can play and has more big buy-in experience than most of the people here I imagine.
How many chips did he have? If he has a few blinds, it's a very understandable move and you people need to lay the censored off.
Give me a break, he's in the small blind, which means a simplefold here, and he gets to see an entire round of hands, for theincredibly low price of, oh, FREE.
before you start giving doug shit, take the time to think.they're called antes.if you're severely shortstack and you know you might even have some fold equity, pushing here with two cards that are almost always live is not as bad as you think.he was 40% to win it.aseem
TY voice of reason. Fold Equity. Try not to confuse them any more. If he had less than 5BB stack the move is perfectly defensible. Maybe the guy was tighter than a mormon virgin and MM had a chance to chip up by 15-25% by stealing there. Shut up screaming noooobs!!!
Geez the guy was on the SB, no one else is in the pot asnd he makes a move trying to pick up the blinds and antes. His cards are most likely live if called (which he didn't want of course) and it was unfortunate the BB had a hand he could call with. Have any of you actually played in a tourney?Stealing every chance you get is a absolute must if you want to keep your head above water. MM wanted to steal, not showdown, and figured this was probably the best chance he was going to get this round unless he picked up a hand....Y'all are such a bunch of quick to hate, know it all's sometimes...
Oh the irony...I guess a well reasoned argument followed with an observation about some members of this forum is well too much for some...Enough. I think I will go back to lurking here and posting on 2+2 as it seems you guys are too cool for me and I obviously have nothing to contribute.
Guest XXEddie
but it was soooooooooted~~!what a donk...blow 10 g's to go outwith a 7-2 of all things...I'd at least respect the guyif he went out with k's to a's or something moderately respectable, but 2-7?!?
on the blind at that why not just check it then go all in against the AK when just Q33 IS SHOWING
How many chips did he have? If he has a few blinds, it's a very understandable move and you people need to lay the censored off.
moving all in with 72 unless your on a force all in is a bad move in my opinion
dude he was trying to pick up the blinds, thats not a bad move

If you think he sucks fine. Myself, I can't think of too many high profile tourney players that I haven't seen make a questionable plays or suck out at times. How many times have you seen Carlos dominated and win? Remember in the 2003 main event when Tony D. reraised w/ J,10 vs. Hellmuth's 77 with a board of J,K,9,J? Tony mucked it after Hellmuth stood up, huffed, and raised again. I asked Hellmuth on UB one night what hand he had Tony D. there. His profound answer: "not 3 jacks". He raised a fair portion of his stack at that point with pocket 7's with that board with out much good reasoning behind it. Just like Moneymaker did against Humberto. Personally, I'll give him some credit for playing some hands well and others not so well. At a lot of the final tables I've watched, even when the winner has played the best, they have often times had the best cards also. After DN gave up the chip lead to David Willaims at the Borgota the cards really started to come Daniels way. I don't have anything against getting a little lucky. One thing nobody can dispute, in 25 years when they talk about the wsop they will talk about it before moneymaker and after moneymaker.

Remember in the 2003 main event when Tony D. reraised w/ J,10 vs. Hellmuth's 77 with a board of J,K,9,J? Tony mucked it after Hellmuth stood up, huffed, and raised again.
that hand didn't happen, ESPN faked that hand, search Paul Phillips blog for that
why is he even considered a card player?Because he was the 2004 WSOP Blind Mans Bluff Champion of course!
Wow we both just posted the same thing at the same time, probably because we both just watched it on TV
Oh the irony...I guess a well reasoned argument followed with an observation about some members of this forum is well too much for some...Enough. I think I will go back to lurking here and posting on 2+2 as it seems you guys are too cool for me and I obviously have nothing to contribute.
huh?you realize i was emphasizing/praising your post by quoting it?i just took out the parts that weren't really applicable/relevant.what exactly are you mad about?aseem
I've tried, but haven't found it.  You can't really search on Phillips site.  You have to slowly check his archives, and I haven't seen it.
damnit, I'm way to lazy right now to find it but I'll try to dig it up later today