ivey winning his 5th bracelet adds weight

I'd do the match, and privately offer Ivey 75% to throw the match. :wink:Kidding aside, I'm surprised that it is this evenly split. You do need more details though. All of the questions about game, blind structure, etc. Are very relevant. If it were a NL game, I would take a shot at Ivey since 1) it has a much higher +EV and 2) I have some gamboool in me. :club: I am not rich by any stretch (I have more money in my neteller account than in my bank account if that tells you anything), but 1 million still isn't an absolutely absurd amount of money. I don't think I could live the rest of my life on it. Winning against Ivey would be life changing though. Make it $10 mil vs $500 mil, and I might change my mind.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd talk to doyle ...have him insure me for 10 mil in the match.let him give me pointers.if i win doyle gets 100 mill and i get 10 millif i lose i get 10 mill
This is by far the best answer. Find someone that has the money to take the risk. Hell, even if you can increase your guarantee to 2 or 4 million this way, it's the way to go. Otherwise, one million free dollars guarantees you the freedom to live your life without worry...I think it's reckless and stupid to throw away such an opportunity.But, many gamblers are degenerates that don't care about stability.

I'm taking the 1 mill for sure.All this talk about odds is irrelevant to the average player who Phil would crush.To say you'd only need to have a 10% chance for it to be positive is loony-tunes. That's like saying would you take 1 million or all in for $100million with A6 against AA.

Quote:

Ok, the point of creating odds like this is if you're going to be doing it multiple times. In this case, you're not, so these %'s mean nothing. no offense, but that is one of the dumbest things i've ever read. Odds still have an obvious importance, even if you only do something once. If not, you would basically be saying that as long as you are doing it once, the odds of flipping a coin and having it land on tails are the same as winning a lottery with odds of one in forty million. Say the odds of you winning the match against ivey are the same as flipping a coin (that's 50-50, even if you do it only once), so then taking the 1 mil instead of playing for the full 100 mil is beyond foolish. Now apply that to the actual chances of you beating ivey, which even without understanding the concept of odds or nearly the skill and experience of ivey could still easily be above 20%. Do you understand how odds of winning play a role yet from that?
This is definitely not he dumbest thing that you have ever hear. Do you understant why you play odds?? Because in the long run they pay off. there is no long run here. You have a 100% to take home 1 million and, as you say, around a 20% chance of taking home 100 million. I dont know which I would do but odds here are not relevant in the way your stating it. And i dont see how you can possibly say that taking the million is "Beyond foolish" You are a dumbass. I am not saying I would take the million but it wouldnt be foolish to take it. Thats like saying if you have 1 million dollars in your bank acccount and you are given the choice to play Phil Ivey for 100 million then you are foolish if you dont play him and risk losing all your money. this statment alone is foolish .

You 1 million folks are limited thinking and from my perspective foolish.A million is NOT a lot of money. Almost anyone can earn this yourself if you save and budget within 20 years. Read a book like the Millionaire Next Door (or the Millionaire's Mind) and raise your goals.You cannot be worse than a 2:1 underdog in headsup play. Even with Phil's intimidation it cannot get worse than 3:1. So, take the heads up for $100M.Place side action on your headsup match. Bet against yourself $10 million or so. Give odds of 10:1 or something rididculous. Now you win no matter what.But, the question is kinda stupid (but fun) and only functions as a mental exercise. Most of you failed miserably and definitely do not have a poker players' mind.

Guest Anonymous
Would you rather be given 1 million dollars, or play Phil Ivey in a heads up freezout for 100 million?You pay nothing to play the freeze out. You choose between limit hold'em or NL hold'em. Blinds are 4000/8000, both start with 500k in chips.If you lost, you'd get nothing.*edit* If 1 million makes it easy, what's the lowest amount you'd take, rather than play?
No question. The 1 million straight out.
You 1 million folks are limited thinking and from my perspective foolish.A million is NOT a lot of money. Almost anyone can earn this yourself if you save and budget within 20 years. Read a book like the Millionaire Next Door (or the Millionaire's Mind) and raise your goals.You cannot be worse than a 2:1 underdog in headsup play. Even with Phil's intimidation it cannot get worse than 3:1. So, take the heads up for $100M.Place side action on your headsup match. Bet against yourself $10 million or so. Give odds of 10:1 or something rididculous. Now you win no matter what.But, the question is kinda stupid (but fun) and only functions as a mental exercise. Most of you failed miserably and definitely do not have a poker players' mind.
What I was thinking
Anybody who says they would play for 100 million rather than taking 1 million is LYING! The only caveat is if they are already filthy rich. Give me a break. :roll:
Anyone who takes the $1M is short sighted and frankly quite stupid. I also think that they somehow think $1M is a lot of money.I'm not rich (by American standards), but I understand the value of money. Many people here don't. I hope no one here is using check cashing services!
Just want to point out for math's sake that you are 40% to win a headsup match if you go all in every hand.
Keep in mind that the other details of the headsup match are unknwon. But, I think we can assume in this fake problem that they are reasonable to the stakes and headsup freezeout format - like online and the National Heads Up Championship (where Phil H. took the win)But, yeah, I would not go in all-in each time with Ivey. I would counter his agression with greater aggression knowing that I am in a win-win situation giving me great confidence as Ivey wonders how the hell he got stuck with such a predicament.Also, I would "hire" (beg?) Andy Beal (Billionaire banker) for tutoring lessons if it was limit. And consult with him regardless.

The only way you can take the million and be smart is if instead of 100 million for winning the freezeout......they only gave you 3 million.....That is the only case where I take the million....1 million in hand...or freezeout for 3 million....I take the million.....That is the only instance.

No disrespect... but taking the million is still smart from a poker perspective, u have a 100% chance of increasing your bankroll by a million dollars, this is not small potatoes. At best u have 60% chance of getting nothing by playing the freezeout. This is a one shot gig. If u lose u get nothing. getting 1 million tomorrow for doing nothing is far better then saving ur butt off for twenty years. I think taking the million makes sense both poker wise and in terms of Finance.

Ok, the point of creating odds like this is if you're going to be doing it multiple times. In this case, you're not, so these %'s mean nothing.
no offense, but that is one of the dumbest things i've ever read. Odds still have an obvious importance, even if you only do something once. If not, you would basically be saying that as long as you are doing it once, the odds of flipping a coin and having it land on tails are the same as winning a lottery with odds of one in forty million. Say the odds of you winning the match against ivey are the same as flipping a coin (that's 50-50, even if you do it only once), so then taking the 1 mil instead of playing for the full 100 mil is beyond foolish. Now apply that to the actual chances of you beating ivey, which even without understanding the concept of odds or nearly the skill and experience of ivey could still easily be above 20%. Do you understand how odds of winning play a role yet from that?
You're right, kind of. You see, if we were talking about taking $1 or playing for $100, then yeah, that argument would apply. But the fact of the matter is, a million dollars would be life-changing for nearly everyone posting here. Therefore, why would you play as an AT BEST 20% favorite when you can instantly have more money than you've ever had?
Anybody who says they would play for 100 million rather than taking 1 million is LYING! The only caveat is if they are already filthy rich. Give me a break. :roll:
Anyone who takes the $1M is short sighted and frankly quite stupid. I also think that they somehow think $1M is a lot of money.I'm not rich (by American standards), but I understand the value of money. Many people here don't. I hope no one here is using check cashing services!
LIAR. You would take the million. I hope you wouldn't just keep it under the mattress, now that would be dumb. But using it correctly you could easily build up a lot more than a million over your lifetime. It is just a macho response that would evaporate if the situation became real.

sorta like what to do if I win the lottery, fun to think of but no real good answers and plus a pipe dream.I'd love to say I'd play for the 100 million, but on the other hand the clean one million gives a guy the chance to give becoming a pro a shot. Tough decision.

Really you are being asked if you'd pay a million dollars to play Ivey for 100 million. Here's a million dollars - you can keep it or give it back. If the million isn't a lot to you, then of course you'd give it back and take a shot at the 100 million. That'd be like here's a hundred bucks, keep it or give it back for a shot at ten grand.By setting the amount so high, you are going to have most people give the same answer I did - "What are you nuts? I'm keeping the money." Everyone talking about +EV, there is also playing outside your comfort zone. Just shove in every time and you have a good shot at winning. Sure, that's easy to say, I think you'd find it a little harder when you sat down and realized you paid a million bucks for your seat. Theory vs Practice.

No disrespect... but taking the million is still smart from a poker perspective, u have a 100% chance of increasing your bankroll by a million dollars, this is not small potatoes. At best u have 60% chance of getting nothing by playing the freezeout. This is a one shot gig. If u lose u get nothing. getting 1 million tomorrow for doing nothing is far better then saving ur butt off for twenty years. I think taking the million makes sense both poker wise and in terms of Finance.
LIAR. You would take the million. I hope you wouldn't just keep it under the mattress, now that would be dumb. But using it correctly you could easily build up a lot more than a million over your lifetime. It is just a macho response that would evaporate if the situation became real.
Please re-read my post. I describe a situation where I win well in excess of $1M whether I win or lose at the heads up match.I already called the $1M people stupid. (This can be viewed as disrespectful but I'm being honest - it is stupid to turn down money!). I won't go into the reading comprehension stuff because most people don't read threads well anyway.If you are a good poker player, you are going to find and make the best option and go with it. I may be wrong, but so far the argumentation I've heard doesn't address my post at all. They address someone elses fictional realities. If you reply to me comment on my fictional reality.
Please re-read my post. I describe a situation where I win well in excess of $1M whether I win or lose at the heads up match.I already called the $1M people stupid. (This can be viewed as disrespectful but I'm being honest - it is stupid to turn down money!). I won't go into the reading comprehension stuff because most people don't read threads well anyway.If you are a good poker player, you are going to find and make the best option and go with it. I may be wrong, but so far the argumentation I've heard doesn't address my post at all. They address someone elses fictional realities. If you reply to me comment on my fictional reality.
You can't change the rules. Of course if anyone could be guaranteed the million and a chance to play for 100 million they would take it. Now you are a Liar and a Cheat (sw) :wink:
sorta like what to do if I win the lottery, fun to think of but no real good answers and plus a pipe dream.I'd love to say I'd play for the 100 million, but on the other hand the clean one million gives a guy the chance to give becoming a pro a shot. Tough decision.
Also, like the lottery (which is a dream of many foolish people), I suspect most of you would not know what to do with the money once you had it. There are good answers and a smart person has them ready.This reminds me of the Harrington story at the 1995 WSOP: "When Dan made it to the final table of the 1995 World Series of Poker, he proposed a nine-way settlement to the other players. He explained how they would each get enough money that they could invest it and be rich. Chuck Thompson, one of the players and a friend of mine, rejected the idea and told the other players that this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make a million dollars. One by one, as each player got knocked out, Dan tried to sell the idea, even offering investment counseling. There were no takers and eventually Dan came away with the full million."I believe that most of you would fritter away the $1M and wind up unhappier than before. This happens to many lottery winners.

Elkang wrore "I believe that most of you would fritter away the $1M and wind up unhappier than before. This happens to many lottery winners."Send me 1 million please I would like to give unhappiness a shot!

You can't change the rules. Of course if anyone could be guaranteed the million and a chance to play for 100 million they would take it. Now you are a Liar and a Cheat (sw) :wink:
I can change the rules in any fictional reality! Also, I want a pony.I don't mind being a liar and a cheat if it also means I'm sitting with $10-90 Million. :club: