what to do with my little brother...

Your brother def needs some help; at least get your own computer and lock it 24/7?
And here's a surefire way to make sure he leaves your computer alone:GET LINUX! Learn how to Wine in poker clients, and make sure he can't figure out your password to your computer login name. Even still, he'll probably get so confused he can't function. :club:
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He loves to play poker. he plays in our friday night games with his friends and my friends, hes only 16, and already he plays like a complete fool. He has never won, or even got his money back in second place. He continues to play like a fool (Calling every single hand, and raising and calling when he has no chance at all to win the hand) he loves chasing straights and flushes even when hes the one having to call half his stack to keep watching it come down the suit that he doesnt need.He is now starting to steal money from me, it has been nothing unusual to see him steal money from me, but now he steals it and uses it for gambling, and then he loses it. So far, im up in cash, and I enjoy playing poker friday night, or whenever possible! Problem is, this kid doesnt know what he's doing, insists that he does, and spends about $50 a week trying to defend his poker skills, losing every time. What do I do?
Tell ya brother to rob a bank, if he succeeds, he won't steal from you for a while.If he fails, he will have some good times in jail. He may even improve his poker skill in jail.It's a win-win situation.

Seriously man, just give him five across the eyes. Why don't you tell your parents what he is doing if you're so afraid of getting in trouble for giving him what he deserves? You should also tell them to pay you back for all the money he stole. This is what is wrong with parents today, don't beat their kids enough.

You need to confront him about his problem. If you go to your parents you'll only piss him off and he'll just do what he's doing away from you. I would confront him when he doesn't see it coming and tell him that you know about his stealing, his gambling problem, and him stealing your password. Tell him this is the only warning he'll get, the next time it'll be much much worse.Once you've broken him down, then build him back up. I would tell him that he's a horrible poker player and he needs to learn. Tell him that he's not allowed to play in any of the games until he's read a couple of books about poker, and maybe a book or two about gambling addiction. Teach him how to play and how to play in moderation.But if he messes up even one I would beat his @ss.

When real money is on the line you probably don't want to trust anyone'sjava browser plugin on linux. I also wouldn't be super thrilled aboutrunning pokerstars under WINE, though maybe WINE is better these days.I had good results years ago running poker clients under vmware -- ifyou're willing to splurge a little (vmware was probably the best linuxpurchase I ever made) I'd suggest that.
I was shocked, but yet not, to see that Paul has been a Linux user. My respect just went up for him. :club: Wine is great, but you have to almost be a supergenious to configure it to run poker clients, and if you're doing that, why are you bothering to run poker clients on Linux when you could be figuring out how to fix the ozone layer? :lol:In all fairness, VMWare is the best direction to go if you play poker on Linux. However, I disagree on the note that it's not right to trust the Java browser plugins on Linux. Maybe I wouldn't trust Blackdown, but Sun runs incredible. I set up a friend's browser with Java so he could play on Pokerroom & the like, and it's run great for him.Wine was just a vague generalization for Linux: possible to do, but tough as crap. If you followed my advice (which I seriously don't expect), follow Phillips's advice further (and my real advice now) and purchase VMWare.
This is what is wrong with parents today, don't beat their kids enough.
That is one of the most true statements ever posted here.
Seriously, if I ever stole like that from someone in my family, my dad would put my face through a wall. He's already done it twice. One wasn't my fault, which kinda made me feel like an innocent criminal on death row falsely assigned to capital punishment

if i had ever stole something from a family member I do believe my dad would of removed me from existence. Kids do need a good ass whipping everyonce in awhile...doesn't even matter if sometimes its a mistake or the parents are wrong because there probably was sometime that you did something really bad and got away with it.....

I told my parents, but its hard to accept something like that. They are trying to deal with it, but my brother is a sneaky bastard. When pacific poker gave you $10 just for making an account, my brother made over 100 accounts, went onto all of them, and spent all the money on each account. He lost every time. He has a computer set up in his room, with internet. I disconect it every time, but he reconnects it. The onyl way to stop him is to smash the copmputer, and if I did that, id get in trouble with my parents. And yeah, your right. Parents dont beat their kids enough nowadays http://maddox.xmission.com/beat.html - <--- thats overboard of coruse, but some of its true, you gotta control your kids when they are young, so they cant control you when your odler and they are 16, like my brother. I already offered to teach him to play poker. he refuses and swears at me, cause he says he is better than me, even though he only wins when he catches his inside straight draw on the river to beat my flopped set.

He sounds like your typical 16 yr old little brother.  I suggest a 48th term abortion.
or you can just concetrate really hard and hope that he somehow turns into just another fuckstain on a bedsheet

#1) Hide your money.#2) Ban him from your Friday night game.#3) Tell him he sucks and why, and then leave it alone.#4) Tell him that if he ever steals your money again that you're going to beat the sh.it out of him.#5) If none of this works, tell your parents. It's their job to set this kid straight, not yours. :club:

He loves to play poker. he plays in our friday night games with his friends and my friends, hes only 16, and already he plays like a complete fool. He has never won, or even got his money back in second place. He continues to play like a fool (Calling every single hand, and raising and calling when he has no chance at all to win the hand) he loves chasing straights and flushes even when hes the one having to call half his stack to keep watching it come down the suit that he doesnt need.He is now starting to steal money from me, it has been nothing unusual to see him steal money from me, but now he steals it and uses it for gambling, and then he loses it. So far, im up in cash, and I enjoy playing poker friday night, or whenever possible!  Problem is, this kid doesnt know what he's doing, insists that he does, and spends about $50 a week trying to defend his poker skills, losing every time.  What do I do?
Play your bro heads up. You loan him the $$$$ (its called conditioning)and then he will learn to condition someone else and your free..

The kid is Sixteen: Does he work? If he is getting his money from family or friends you guys can put that to a stop. If he has a job then it is his money and take everything from him and I mean everything. If he still thinks he can play with Jennifer harman or Dan or who ever, then get together and tell him he has a problem. He will say know but then show him that you have taken all or everything from him. Take the his car, TV, video games and controler. Take his cloths bet him for them. Then get him help if he is truely over the edge. Then get him in gamblers anonamous.But if the kid is not addicted and just loves to play and is a Donkey what can you do. Start teasing him saying he is a donkey. Maybe have him play on "FullTilt"and say look only play certain hand. Have him read a books Super system, Read Deal, Super systems two, Sklanskys books all of them. Then If these things are not working. Then you write to Daniel Negreau, Jennifer Harman, and Phil Gordon. Ask them if they would please read what you feel he is and let them answer you. I maybe totally wrong with taking everything and trying to push him to his lowest point. But it would be better for him to learn how that he might be the Donkey all the time and to stay away, or should just play for fun. But better now and get him help then in the future when he has four or five kids and can't keep any bills paid food on the table is not there because he is using it to gamble.I hope this helps and God BlessTom Brooks

ur brother has created a wonderful table image with ur friends, teach him to play tight and then stake him.if that doesnt work take him on a trip so u can kill him. Then bury the body.

Then you write to Daniel Negreau, Jennifer Harman, and Phil Gordon.
That is a very novel idea. Write some of the pros, any of them he idolizes and tell them the situation. They might a response directly back to him about this, and even tell you what to do.Although if he idolizes someone like Sam Grizzle or Stu Ungar, then we might have a problem, then you can just stick to the basic media magnets.

Or you could just take out a deck of cards and deal a hand between the two of you. Say, "You're first to act, fish." At this time he will obviously bet, in which you say "I'm all in" and punch him in the face. That should teach him that somtimes gambling is a punch in the face, or something like that.

if my brother stole from me I would take whatever his prized posetions were and id pawn them for the exact amount he stole from me and give him the pawn ticket.( after kicking his ass)

Why dont u have him create an account on FCP.. and he can comeon here make a post titled "Smash is an idiot, and i'm better than him"and they can go back and forth for an hour, and then hundreds of other FCP'ers will also get in on the action and your brother will realise he's a horrible player.and thats that

I was shocked, but yet not, to see that Paul has been a Linux user. My respect just went up for him. :club: Wine is great, but you have to almost be a supergenious to configure it to run poker clients, and if you're doing that, why are you bothering to run poker clients on Linux when you could be figuring out how to fix the ozone layer? :lol:In all fairness, VMWare is the best direction to go if you play poker on Linux. However, I disagree on the note that it's not right to trust the Java browser plugins on Linux. Maybe I wouldn't trust Blackdown, but Sun runs incredible. I set up a friend's browser with Java so he could play on Pokerroom & the like, and it's run great for him.Wine was just a vague generalization for Linux: possible to do, but tough as crap. If you followed my advice (which I seriously don't expect), follow Phillips's advice further (and my real advice now) and purchase VMWare.
I know how to do some of the basic things with linux, but from reading in Paul's journal it's painfully obvious that I know next to nothing compared to him. Check this out:http://www.livejournal.com/users/extempore/34199.html
wow...i'll tell you what newbs would do...they'd either a) go cry in irc, or B) do a straightforward gentoo install.i'm not dissing gentoo btw, it's what i run, and probably will always be.