how to play aqo with many limpers

Let's say you're in a full ring limit holdem game. Six people have already limped in before you. You are in late position with AQo. Any suggestions on what would be the best move here?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would limp and see a flop, disguise the strong hand with a weak bet and let someone else raise/bet. That way, you're not committed to a follow up bet on the flop and (as Mike Sexton is so prone to saying) no one can put you on a strong Ace if it falls.

Raise it.  They're limping with marginal hands to see a cheap flop.  Don't comply.  Make them pay to see the flop.  It's a value bet.
ya.. depends what "many" limpers is.. 3, 4 ?? without including the blinds, i'd raise.But from SB or BB, i'll simply complete / check
Raise it.  They're limping with marginal hands to see a cheap flop.  Don't comply.  Make them pay to see the flop.  It's a value bet.
ya.. depends what "many" limpers is.. 3, 4 ?? without including the blinds, i'd raise.But from SB or BB, i'll simply complete / check
Why in the world would you do that? You have a better chance of winning than most, if not all, of the hands in this pot. You raise it to get more money in the pot when you hit. Simply calling (or checking) is not a good idea.
Why in the world would you do that? You have a better chance of winning than most, if not all, of the hands in this pot. You raise it to get more money in the pot when you hit. Simply calling (or checking) is not a good idea.
limit, and NL would be two completely different situations. i think your relating it to limit, where in NL i think disguising your hand is ok also. I mean its A,Q off.. its nothing amazingEdit. ok and now i see he wrote Limit hold em.. agian.. its monday.. sorry
Royal_Tour wrote:Custom36 wrote:Raise it. They're limping with marginal hands to see a cheap flop. Don't comply. Make them pay to see the flop. It's a value bet.ya.. depends what "many" limpers is.. 3, 4 ?? without including the blinds, i'd raise.But from SB or BB, i'll simply complete / checkWhy in the world would you do that? You have a better chance of winning than most, if not all, of the hands in this pot. You raise it to get more money in the pot when you hit. Simply calling (or checking) is not a good idea.
Checking from the blinds is what i would do because i will be out of position the rest of the way. If 3 people call your raise and the flop comes 8 high then you have a problem. You might have to put a feeler bet out there just to see where u are at, but most probably u will have to check and fold to a bet.
Checking from the blinds is what i would do because i will be out of position the rest of the way.  If 3 people call your raise and the flop comes 8 high then you have a problem.  You might have to put a feeler bet out there just to see where u are at, but most probably u will have to check and fold to a bet.
You're kidding, right? You raise to get more money in the pot. The flop comes 8 high. You autobet the flop. If someone raises you make a decision. If they don't, you watch the turn. Just because it comes 8-high doesn't mean somebody hit it. There's just as good of a chance that they have K-J or J10 and completely missed.

I would raise as well...If you limp in you gain no information about the other hands. Your on the button so your in the best spot. I would raise three times the Big Blind, because at this point you could take the pot right then or increase your odds by forcing people out. Either way it's a win win for you...

Raise it up - granted in microlimit HE, you aren't going to see anyone fold up for one more bet, so its a value bet, not an attempt to thin the field.Watch when the flop hits with an A-rainbow. You will still get J2o calling you down to the river with a pair of 2's, or 89s trails along because he has a backdoor flush draw.Sure they suck out on you from time to time, but more times than not, that pot is yours.If you miss the flop and betting is fast and furious, its an easy fold.Just because you have 7 limpers in the pot doesn't mean you have 7 good hands in the pot.Dev

I would limp and see a flop, disguise the strong hand with a weak bet and let someone else raise/bet. That way, you're not committed to a follow up bet on the flop and (as Mike Sexton is so prone to saying) no one can put you on a strong Ace if it falls.Buy a small 4 pund sledgehammer and a 4 foot legnth of rope.Tie the hammer to the rope.Oh, buy a bowling ball, too.Also some string.Suspend he hammer from one end of the rope, and tie the other end to the ceiling.Wait, you need duct tape, too.Take some tape and lightly tape the hammer to the ceiling.Tie the string around the hammer also.Put the bowling ball on on the pedestal about 4 feet of the ground.Did I mention you'd need a pedestal? You will.Anyway, make sure the pedestal is positioned at the bottom of the arc the hammer will swing through if released from the ceiling.Now take the chalk. Oh, you'll need chalk. Anyway, take the chalk, and mark an X on the ground in the direction of the hammers arc about 11 inches away from the table.Take the string holding the hammer in your right hand.Sit on the X.Now lie on your back keeping your body centered on the X.Now pull the string.That feeling you get when the bowling ball hits your nuts is very simmilar to the feeling I get when you advise people to limp with AQ here. Remember that feeling and any time you think it's a good idea again to limp with AQ here, repeat the steps above.

I would raise as well...If you limp in you gain no information about the other hands.  Your on the button so your in the best spot.  I would raise three times the Big Blind, because at this point you could take the pot right then or increase your odds by forcing people out.  Either way it's a win win for you...
Its limit . . NL its a much easier play.Dev
I would raise as well...If you limp in you gain no information about the other hands.  Your on the button so your in the best spot.  I would raise three times the Big Blind, because at this point you could take the pot right then or increase your odds by forcing people out.  Either way it's a win win for you...
Its limit . . NL its a much easier play.Dev
True NL it's an easier play...I still raise it in limit as well....

Raise from late in an unraised pot from late position with A-Q off. Standard... doesn't matter if there are 5 limpers or 50. I would, however, often times check from the blinds (in a limit game) because of lousy position. Depends on how loose the table is though...You are betting for value as Custom said. With that many limpers you also have a nice pot equity edge there. Also, if you are in a game that likes to check to the raiser, you've guaranteed yourself control of the betting... unless of course it's reraised, which will provide you with some helpful info.

That feeling you get when the bowling ball hits your nuts is very simmilar to the feeling I get when you advise people to limp with AQ here.  Remember that feeling and any time you think it's a good idea again to limp with AQ here, repeat the steps above.
:clap: Classic
Its limit . . NL its a much easier play.
Nah, it's pretty easy in limit, too. There are some interesting hands where you can debate as to whether a raise is a good idea in this case; AQ is not one of them, it's pretty much an automatic raise.

I understand the argument that i should raise because i probably hold the best hand preflop. I usually do raise it, but i'm a little bit in doubt after reading the limit-section in Super System 2.Jennifer Harman writes the following about this situation on page 224:"Avoid being overly aggressive in multiway pots with hands that play better shorthanded. If six people have already limped in before you, raising with hands like A-Q offsuit or A-J offsuit is counterproductive. With so many players in the pot, the chances of running the hand through to the river without improvement aren't good. You will need to flop at least a pair, and even that doesn't guarantee you will win the pot. The more players in the pot, the more likely it is that someone will make two pair, trips, a straight, a flush, or better. Furthermore, by raising preflop with A-Q offsuit or the like in multiway pots, you also induce your opponents to take long-shot draws against you. Of course, this doesn't mean you should fold these hands in multiway pots, but you should certainly proceed with caution. Limp in cheap, and hope to flop something solid. If the flop comes 10-6-7 to your A-Q, for example, you would be foolish to call any bets on the flop."

Jenny's wrong unless it's a game where it's normally 2 or 3 to the flop and the occasional fluke hand occurs where there are 6 people limping in.In a normal low limit game you give up WAY too much not raising the flop.

I understand the argument that i should raise because i probably hold the best hand preflop. I usually do raise it, but i'm a little bit in doubt after reading the limit-section in Super System 2.Jennifer Harman writes the following about this situation on page 224:"Avoid being overly aggressive in multiway pots with hands that play better shorthanded. If six people have already limped in before you, raising with hands like A-Q offsuit or A-J offsuit is counterproductive. With so many players in the pot, the chances of running the hand through to the river without improvement aren't good. You will need to flop at least a pair, and even that doesn't guarantee you will win the pot. The more players in the pot, the more likely it is that someone will make two pair, trips, a straight, a flush, or better. Furthermore, by raising preflop with A-Q offsuit or the like in multiway pots, you also induce your opponents to take long-shot draws against you. Of course, this doesn't mean you should fold these hands in multiway pots, but you should certainly proceed with caution. Limp in cheap, and hope to flop something solid. If the flop comes 10-6-7 to your A-Q, for example, you would be foolish to call any bets on the flop."
I doubt she wrote that with .50/1 limit in mind where people limp in first position with K5 offsuit.