superior 1/2 table

I jsut dont see how 8 handed someone doesnt have you beat. If you like 2 people called you yes I would play it really strong. But they could so easily be checking a king. That said I guess I would bet the flop. But when you get check raised on the turn do you jsut fold right there?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, this raise preflop is far from standard. I almost said call until I realized that there was 8 people(potentially) in the hand.
The raise pre-flop is far from standard? How so?
btw, this raise preflop is far from standard. I almost said call until I realized that there was 8 people(potentially) in the hand.
i think what hes getting at here is, you normally want to limp on the button with 77.but with everyone and their sister in the pot, a raise on the button has value.
i think what hes getting at here is, you normally want to limp on the button with 77.but with everyone and their sister in the pot, a raise on the button has value.
For a couple reasons I'd say.1. People are in here with worse hands...2. Depending on the flop you can disguise your hand here3. You're on the button so you've got position the rest of the way.
I jsut dont see how 8 handed someone doesnt have you beat.  If you like 2 people called you yes I would play it really strong.  But they could so easily be checking a king.  That said I guess I would bet the flop.  But when you get check raised on the turn do you jsut fold right there?
if you want to play scared poker then go ahead, but this is a great flop. The two kings make it less likely that oneof our opponents has one since two of them are now accounted for. playing the way you are advocating will leave lots of money that is yours at the table

lol im not playing scared poker i understand the flop bet, and yes this is a good flop, I would love it 3 or maybe 4 handed, but the entire table is in the hand. So your going to bet the flop then if everyone checks do you bet teh turn too? If so instafold to check raise?

lol im not playing scared poker i understand the flop bet, and yes this is a good flop, I would love it 3 or maybe 4 handed, but the entire table is in the hand. So your going to bet the flop then if everyone checks do you bet teh turn too? If so instafold to check raise?
What benefits does checking have here?

Lose the min when your drawing to a two outter, really its the 8 person in the pot that has me thinking check. Bet out is also good, I would think it depends on what your feel of the table is. Either your way ahead or your way behind. I think its a close judgement call. I would say bet now that I think about it more because a lot of bad hands will probably call down, I'm used to 3/6 shorthanded, where I would def bet it and 3/6 full tables on grid where people ussualy dont go more then 2-3 to a flop.

pretty much. I keep on betting this until I'm told otherwise
but with everyone and their sister in the pot, a raise on the button has value.
how the hell does it have value? with everyone and their mother calling PF, your 7's aren't holding up without tripping up. you need to hit a 7 in the worst way, don't put more money in the pot when you're drawing to a 2 outer. and raising this PF then checking this flop makes me wanna puke.

Is this $1-$2 nl? With 8 ppl seeing the flop betting out is OK but what do you do if you are raised?Questions? Would 88-QQ limp pre-flop and check that flop? With 8 limpers and $1-$2 you almost have to limp call with those hands to get a good pot going making it more likely you are beat. If I had TT in EP at those limits I'd have to limp otherwise win a $3 pot.Name 7 possible hands that limp and call a raise pre-flop. Unless it's a crazy loose passive table I'd think I was being set up and be very careful.Limit, betting out is correct. NL how much do you bet? If you raised to say $5 preflop there is $40 in the pot when it's checked to you. Are you willing to risk a pot sized bet? 1/2 the pot.I didn't catch if it was a limit game but I would be really interested to hear everyone thoughts on this hand no limit. My feeling in a NL game is to check. If it's checked again on the turn I'd make a small bet, 1/3 to 1/2 the pot but if someone plays back I'd be done. Then again, you bet $20 on the flop and get two callers now what the hell do you do even if you catch a 7?Tough hand. Really good hand for a thread.

I think it's pretty obvious this is a limit hand. I'd bet this flop mainly for information, and call a check raise because the pot is large and if I hit my boat my hand is very disguised so I can play a big pot. If no help comes on the turn I'm dropping the hand.

I think it's pretty obvious this is a limit hand. I'd bet this flop mainly for information, and call a check raise because the pot is large and if I hit my boat my hand is very disguised so I can play a big pot. If no help comes on the turn I'm dropping the hand.
There we go!People are too passive you gotta bet this for information, and you just might win it or get a free card if you so choose (depending on who's left after your raise).Checking leaves you no levarage, forget drawing here our hand has to hold up or we gotta bet people out, if neither works soon, I'm jumping ship.
There we go!People are too passive you gotta bet this for information, and you just might win it or get a free card if you so choose (depending on who's left after your raise).Checking leaves you no levarage, forget drawing here our hand has to hold up or we gotta bet people out, if neither works soon, I'm jumping ship.
I already said this like five times, and I thought that I was a "respected oster" on this board, sheesh :club:
I already said this like five times, and I thought that I was a "respected oster" on this board, sheesh :club:
For a while there were in the Majority on this Decision KDawg... I was/am shocked.
I already said this like five times, and I thought that I was a "respected oster" on this board, sheesh :lol:
Greg Ostertag is a "respected oster."Wait a minute; no he's not.Ice

With so many limpers, you know that you'll almost need a set in order to stand a chance, because the pot will be so big that people will call with overs down to the river in a loose game. That's WHY you're raising in the first place. In the event that you hit your set, you're pricing everyone to call with any pair. With the pot so big and so many loose players, a single bet won't scare anyone out who has overcards on you and there is a good possibility that someone is slow playing anyways.In an ideal world where a small bet would isolate everyone with inferior hands, a bet would be appropriate. The fact is, you're basically going to need to hit your 7 to take this pot down even if someone doesnt have a king. Check it. If the next card is below a 7 and it's checked around again, then you bet.You accomplish nothing by betting the flop. You get no information, you don't isolate and you don't get MARGINAL value, supposing that no one has a king (and are most certainly losing value if someone does).

With so many limpers, you know that you'll almost need a set in order to stand a chance, because the pot will be so big that people will call with overs down to the river in a loose game. That's WHY you're raising in the first place. In the event that you hit your set, you're pricing everyone to call with any pair. With the pot so big and so many loose players, a single bet won't scare anyone out who has overcards on you and there is a good possibility that someone is slow playing anyways.In an ideal world where a small bet would isolate everyone with inferior hands, a bet would be appropriate. The fact is, you're basically going to need to hit your 7 to take this pot down even if someone doesnt have a king. Check it. If the next card is below a 7 and it's checked around again, then you bet.You accomplish nothing by betting the flop. You get no information, you don't isolate and you don't get MARGINAL value, supposing that no one has a king (and are most certainly losing value if someone does).
This was along the lines of what I was thinking, that we need a 7 so just betting out when no1 will fold seems wrong.
best post everchecking this flop still sucks n00bs
I already said this like five times, and I thought that I was a "respected oster" on this board, sheesh :lol:
best post everchecking this flop still sucks n00bs
My sense of humor extricates me from tender situations and makes me friends.Checking the flop is pretty bad. You're good here quite often, and you clear up the landscape. If you check this now, the turn will play terribly...Ice

Its 8 handed, I could understand if it was 2 3 or even 4 handed, but the entire table is in this pot. And it was raised preflop, so the pot is laying people good odds, which is what you wanted when you were way ahead, but I jsut see you losing too many big bets when your behind. You raised for the set mainly and thats not what you got, though this is a great flop, this is 8 handed.

Its 8 handed, I could understand if it was 2 3 or even 4 handed, but the entire table is in this pot. And it was raised preflop, so the pot is laying people good odds, which is what you wanted when you were way ahead, but I jsut see you losing too many big bets when your behind. You raised for the set mainly and thats not what you got, though this is a great flop, this is 8 handed.
stop trying to give rationale to an argument that has no basis in rational thought, you are wrong. I could pout this hand up on twoplustwo and I'd be pretty damn sure that 98% of the posters would say easy flop bet, save yourself for an argument that you can be possibly right on