where is moneymaker?

Just thought I would ask and not that I care, but where is Moneymaker? I haven't seen him in any photos or articles pertaining to this years WSOP.Is he broke? Has he run out of backers? Are his 15 minutes of fame finally over?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What sized games was he playing before he won the WSOP? I'm just curious exactly how big the jump he made was. I know he had between $200k and $400k on a table in a side game, just hours after he busted out of last year's WSOP, playing with Farha and a bunch of other big names.If he's doing that very often, he's gotta be close to broke by now.

I didn't see MM when I was out there in any of the tournies or side games. I did hear he was around though.There was this one kid who had shaved off his beard to a MM goatee and had on a WSOP hat and shirt and Oakleys - this was on the plane ride to Vegas. He honestly said at one point to his friend "Do you really think people will think I look like MM?"

Well he claims he kept his accounting job, so if he's still living off of that, then I imagine with his experience he's banked some of his earnings. He also won another event last year I think, no? (not wsop)

Per a Playboy interview, Moneymaker is going through a nasty divorce right now. I'd imagine he's planning on only playing a few events this year (maybe only the Main Event).

First off he no longer an accountant, secondly he couldn't even afford the airfare out to Vegas when he won the 2003 main event. He had to have his Dad front him the cash, which tells me that he can't manage his own personal finances much less a bank roll.

First off he no longer an accountant, secondly he couldn't even afford the airfare out to Vegas when he won the 2003 main event. He had to have his Dad front him the cash, which tells me that he can't manage his own personal finances much less a bank roll.
he couldn't have just been broke? seems to be a pretty prevalent state in today's economy.

It would be pretty difficult for him to go completely broke, although I can believe that he can't afford to buy into any tournaments at the moment. His book is selling, he's endorsed by Pokerstars, he has money coming in aside from poker. It would be extremely wise of him to take a break from poker while the details of the divorce are being hammered out, no sense trying to make money you're just going to have to split in half...

I am sick of people saying this guy is broke lol, he's a smart guy and his entire job just happens to fit someone who gets a couple million dumped on there lap real well.Maybe he realizes he's outmatched.. and he's saving the money? Moneymaker is not some degenerate gambler who's going to go broke in a few years playing poker, he's an accountant and I think he'll be living pretty good for the rest of his life.He could also just be playing in the main event, He's probobly collected enough interested off of those winnings to pay for this years event by now :club:

I am sick of people saying this guy is broke lol, he's a smart guy and his entire job just happens to fit someone who gets a couple million dumped on there lap real well.Maybe he realizes he's outmatched.. and he's saving the money? Moneymaker is not some degenerate gambler who's going to go broke in a few years playing poker, he's an accountant and I think he'll be living pretty good for the rest of his life.He could also just be playing in the main event, He's probobly collected enough interested off of those winnings to pay for this years event by now :club:
Um...no offense, but by his own admission he's *already* gone broke once from gambling problems, and took his fathers bankroll down with him. I'm not by any stretch saying that's the case now, I'm just laying down facts as I come by them...
He also won another event last year I think, no? (not wsop)
Believe he made about $240000 in tournaments last year - not competitive with top players, but certainly a respectable salary. It would not shock me at all if he makes more money promoting PokerStars than he does playing poker. More power to him, I'd do much the same if I went from a $40 tournament to 1st in the main event.

Why do most you do nothing "Poker Players" bag on MM saying he is broke and begrudge his success? He has never been anything but humble and never proclaimed to be anything he wasn't. A decent guy who was a decent player that had a nice run and decided to parlay his fame into a poker career. Name one of us that wouldn't do the same thing. Besides, I saw him offering hand j0bs for $20 outside Circus Circus.

And another thing. a quote from a certain tv show about poker probably fits most people on this site.Guy playing cards: How about a date?Miami: I only dat e card players.GPC: I'm a card playerMiami: Your not a card player, you play cards.God I love Tilt

Read something the other day that he got remarried....Saw a pic and i think she was hot.After what was in his pants and i dont think it was in the front either....google is your friend.

I am sick of people saying this guy is broke lol, he's a smart guy and his entire job just happens to fit someone who gets a couple million dumped on there lap real well.Maybe he realizes he's outmatched.. and he's saving the money? Moneymaker is not some degenerate gambler who's going to go broke in a few years playing poker, he's an accountant and I think he'll be living pretty good for the rest of his life.He could also just be playing in the main event, He's probobly collected enough interested off of those winnings to pay for this years event by now :D
Um...no offense, but by his own admission he's *already* gone broke once from gambling problems, and took his fathers bankroll down with him. I'm not by any stretch saying that's the case now, I'm just laying down facts as I come by them...
I didn't even know that! But he didn't keep all of the money did he? I just can't see him going broke again really, his dad is probobly keeping an eye on him... as dull as that sounds.I also would like to know how much he's made off of endorsments because that has to help a Lot. I dunno, I'm still gonna say the guy ain't broke :club:
He's not a degenerate gambler? lol. You may want to read his book then. He lost 60K in one day betting football while in college and talks about being over40K in debt with his wife the first year they were married. He's a degenerate, make no mistake about it.

MONEYMAKER IS NOT BROKE! Spread the rumor elsewhere. Not on this forum. Or at least give your source. Moneymaker tend to play when he gets paid (endorsements or other stakes).If need be I'll drag out my sources... besides from his own mouth to my ears. The next step would be to call him a liar.