Random Observations

If you don't understand why "All Lives Matter" is not an acceptable response to "Black Lives Matter" by now, then you must be immune to logic or something, I don't know.

Yes, there are good and bad things that happen to and by everyone. The point is, there is strong statistical evidence that bad things are systemically happening to black people at a much greater rate, especially by cops, and that those done to black people by white people are systemically less likely to be punished. When people say "too many people are dying from cancer" do you feel the need to relay an anecdote about someone dying from a shark attack or point out that doctors have tough jobs, or that other types of death matter too? No, it is obvious and implied. And by doing so, it obfuscates the problem by replacing evidence with anecdotes and then asks you to ignore it, which is exactly what you did.

Blaming manipulation of the media is also such a dumb thing to do. Do you really think that Michael Brown or Trayvon or whoever were the first young black people killed by police? The reason #Philandro gets more media attention than Dylan Noble is not "media manipulation", its because the situations aren't equal. The human beings are equal, and the loss is an equal tragedy. But if we are talking about news, (using made-up numbers of course) the killing of the 100th black person by over-aggressive white police officers is more relevant than the 10th white person. If an 83-year old passes away from cancer in Saskatoon, that is less newsworthy than if he passed away while trying to jump 10 sharks on waterskis. It isn't media manipulation to point out one and not the other, it's that things are only newsworthy if they are particularly rare, interesting, or part of a larger story.

If, in the next year, there was a sudden increase on either white people being killed by black police officers or vice-versa, which do you think would get more attention from the media, and from things that actually matter, like politicians and law enforcement?

You're right it shouldn't be a left vs right issue. I don't know why it is either, except it just seems like you can predict everyone's point of view on just about any issue these days just by knowing their political affiliation. That isn't a jab at lefties or righties...we're equally predictable.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they used the same technology and applied Zelda screen, I would be walking the streets stoned looking for pyramids, swords, and potions!

I just got back from visiting a good friend in palliative care. She's been battling lung cancer for the last few years. The battle is almost over and she's not going to win...   All she wanted me to

I was actually going through kijiji a couple of days ago Was going to list my old clubs since I don't need them anymore. Saw an ad that requested old clubs for special olympics. Contacted the guy a

If you don't understand why "All Lives Matter" is not an acceptable response to "Black Lives Matter" by now, then you must be immune to logic or something, I don't know.

Yes, there are good and bad things that happen to and by everyone. The point is, there is strong statistical evidence that bad things are systemically happening to black people at a much greater rate, especially by cops, and that those done to black people by white people are systemically less likely to be punished. When people say "too many people are dying from cancer" do you feel the need to relay an anecdote about someone dying from a shark attack or point out that doctors have tough jobs, or that other types of death matter too? No, it is obvious and implied. And by doing so, it obfuscates the problem by replacing evidence with anecdotes and then asks you to ignore it, which is exactly what you did.

Blaming manipulation of the media is also such a dumb thing to do. Do you really think that Michael Brown or Trayvon or whoever were the first young black people killed by police? The reason #Philandro gets more media attention than Dylan Noble is not "media manipulation", its because the situations aren't equal. The human beings are equal, and the loss is an equal tragedy. But if we are talking about news, (using made-up numbers of course) the killing of the 100th black person by over-aggressive white police officers is more relevant than the 10th white person. If an 83-year old passes away from cancer in Saskatoon, that is less newsworthy than if he passed away while trying to jump 10 sharks on waterskis. It isn't media manipulation to point out one and not the other, it's that things are only newsworthy if they are particularly rare, interesting, or part of a larger story.

If, in the next year, there was a sudden increase on either white people being killed by black police officers or vice-versa, which do you think would get more attention from the media, and from things that actually matter, like politicians and law enforcement?

You're right it shouldn't be a left vs right issue. I don't know why it is either, except it just seems like you can predict everyone's point of view on just about any issue these days just by knowing their political affiliation. That isn't a jab at lefties or righties...we're equally predictable.

I agree with some things you say but I think your statistics are not accurate in this matter. Do you know how many people have been killed by cops in the US in 2016? There has been over 600, and we are halfway thru the year..

http://killedbypolice.net/

I may have misunderstood your comment, but are you implying that more black people are killed by police than white people? In reality this isnt fact..Might surprise that I am not really taking sides in this issue, I like to see both sides..For the lack of a better term and at the risk of a terrible pun, the issue isnt "black and white"..

And why do you suggest that Philandro situation is not the same as Dylan Noble? Have you seen the video?

I have heard about Dylan Noble and immediately thought of you Serge

I feel for the family. You can see in the video he didn't listen to the cops and put his hands up. But is that a reason to be killed? He also says something to the effect his life sucks anyway.

It's sad as is the other killings. It's such a fine line for these cops. I would hate to be in their shoes.

Oh boy France.

This is disgusting

Apparently my old elementary school English teacher and current Facebook friend was literally there when the truck drove through the crowd. Like she had to run for her life. Scary shit.

Grr, hate not being able to quote.

France - just gross. I used to think it was surprising that there weren't more of these terrible crimes, given the amount of crazy/homicidal/suicidal people out there. Now that we're seeing it, it is really ugly. Of course, it's worth noting that we have no suspect and no organizations taking responsibility, and yet Trump is out there calling for a war and Gingritch denying people basic first amendment rights.

Pokemon Go - not as nuts in Canada yet, as it hasn't been released here. Some people are using very easy workarounds to get it, but it still isn't nearly as popular (yet).

Noble/Philandre - my point wasn't really clear, but I don't think we disagree all that much if we were to really talk about it. My point was that the individual circumstances surrounding their tragic deaths may be the same, but that doesn't make them equally newsworthy if one fits into a larger pattern than the other. And I also think you're ignoring basic probability if you point out there are more white deaths by police than black deaths - there are a ton more white people, so that would make sense. Proportional to the overall population, a black person is much more likely to be killed by the police than a white person.

I have to wonder, why does France seem to be a popular target? Is their security weaker than other countries? Is it because Belgium is next door and they seem to have a ridic amount of Isis "cells". France usually is pretty quiet in regards to world politics. I personally wonder about how good their security is.

I have to wonder, why does France seem to be a popular target? Is their security weaker than other countries? Is it because Belgium is next door and they seem to have a ridic amount of Isis "cells". France usually is pretty quiet in regards to world politics. I personally wonder about how good their security is.

This might be it...

Its so hard to defend against these soft targets...

The scary part of all this for me is, how do you defend against this? Its not an airport, its an open area where people are celebrating a big holiday...This can happen anywhere...

This might be it...

Its so hard to defend against these soft targets...

The scary part of all this for me is, how do you defend against this? Its not an airport, its an open area where people are celebrating a big holiday...This can happen anywhere...

You stop assembling, you stop living.

All indications seem to point to this just being one deranged individual though, not terrorism per se.

Don't know if you can ever stop this. Except maybe better mental health treatment/awareness, which would maybe help a bit.

You stop assembling, you stop living.

All indications seem to point to this just being one deranged individual though, not terrorism per se.

Don't know if you can ever stop this. Except maybe better mental health treatment/awareness, which would maybe help a bit.

Exactly totally agree..If we change our way of living and we are scared THEY WIN...

Agree with all of you! Which is part of the reason I get scared of the Trump/Gingrich movement. They're jumping on this as an anti-Muslim binge, and saying they'll stop terrorism from that type of country...but how? The last two were French and American citizens, and their parents were from countries not associated with state-sponsored terrorism. They were both reportedly non-religious Muslims. How do you stop a suicidal guy in a car from just deciding to drive really fast near a large group of people? I have no idea.

The first step to fighting terrorism should be getting rid of the Federal Reserve. Good luck with that though...they've already killed two presidents who tried.

The first step to fighting terrorism should be getting rid of the Federal Reserve. Good luck with that though...they've already killed two presidents who tried.

LOL, and don't forget to off the Bilderberg's while you're at it.

LOL, and don't forget to off the Bilderberg's while you're at it.

You disagree the Federal Reserve is a problem?

I respect your opinion on economics so I'd love to hear your thoughts....without the tin-foil hat references preferably.

You disagree the Federal Reserve is a problem?

I respect your opinion on economics so I'd love to hear your thoughts....without the tin-foil hat references preferably.

Central Banking and the Federal Reserve is one of the best things to happen to modern economies and economics. The Fed kept the Great Recession we went through from becoming another 1930's style depression.

Ben Bernanke probably has done more for the collective good than any other individual so far in the 21st century.

The Federal Reserve is privately owned. Why is it better for a privately owned entity to be given the right to print money out of thin air...money that is backed by nothing...and then loan that money to the US government who is charged interest on it?

The Federal Reserve is privately owned. Why is it better for a privately owned entity to be given the right to print money out of thin air...money that is backed by nothing...and then loan that money to the US government who is charged interest on it?

not going to get into it with you, no offense but I have better things to do with my time. I will share a few more thoughts though.

I will say that the idea that money is supposed to be backed by something is something that a lot of people share and is a wrong one.

Who actually owns the Fed is basically meaningless, the Fed Board and Chairmen are all appointed by the President and confirmed by Congress and any profits are returned to the Federal Treasury

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/other/20150109a.htm

If there was no central banking we would truly be ****ed.

• Like 1

The Fed kept the Great Recession we went through from becoming another 1930's style depression.

Ben Bernanke probably has done more for the collective good than any other individual so far in the 21st century.

If there was no central banking we would truly be ****ed.

I agree with these statements.

(I picked out the ones I truly agree with, I have some questions with regards to other parts of the Fed, but way too deep for now)

Who owns the Fed?

Simplified...

It's made up of 12 federal reserve banks which operate under the New York Federal Reserve Bank. The banks are administered by a board of governors which is appointed by the POTUS. These appointments are confirmed by the Senate but hahaha, right.

So basically the Fed is owned by the major stockholders of the NYC banks. Who are they? Families like the Rothschilds, Morgans, Rockefellers, Warburgs, etc...