Random Observations

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they used the same technology and applied Zelda screen, I would be walking the streets stoned looking for pyramids, swords, and potions!

I just got back from visiting a good friend in palliative care. She's been battling lung cancer for the last few years. The battle is almost over and she's not going to win...   All she wanted me to

I was actually going through kijiji a couple of days ago Was going to list my old clubs since I don't need them anymore. Saw an ad that requested old clubs for special olympics. Contacted the guy a

all of what you guys are saying is true and I could not agree more. POS, and I cant believe there are people who like this kind of attention, and then the kind of people who like to put their attention on things like this.

I don't know if many of you are still in contact with childhood or high school friends but our personalities don't really change when we get older. Somebody who was a childish dick at age 17 is still a childish dick at age 45 in most cases.

I don't know if many of you are still in contact with childhood or high school friends but our personalities don't really change when we get older. Somebody who was a childish dick at age 17 is still a childish dick at age 45 in most cases.

I personally know many people who changed their behavior as they got older. One friend spent more time in jail for stupid shit from 19-21 yrs of age. In elementary school he behaved poorly, I remember our third grade teacher tied him to his chair because he wouldn't stop roaming the classroom. He's now a elementary teacher and from what it looks like a very good one. 2 kids and a wife and not the crazy POS he used to be.

That's just one person example. In sports I remember a cocky young Yzerman whose personality in his early years was looked down upon. He changed dramatically from a self centered ego machine to arguably one of the most team oriented unselfish leaders in sports.

I disagree that it's as simple as you were a jerk then do you'll be a jerk later. The part of your brain that deals with rational thought isn't developed until your early 20's. It's why teenagers do stupid stuff. Your environment can change your personality. People you surround yourself can change it. It's not there at birth. It can change throughout your life.

I do believe it can change, but frankly, most of my experience is what Bob said.

Im also amazed at how often my/our first impressions of someone usually are pretty much right on. I dont mean meeting them for 5min and knowing them thoroughly, I mean interacting with them a few different times and knowing they are kind of a dick, selfish, childish, but sort of overlooking it because at first its kind of funny and new people in your life are cool.

years later, you realize the funny act wore thin real fast and totally realize that the guy is really and truly a dick, selfish, childish.

this also works the opposite too.....a good guy who you can tell is a good person, and kind to everyone, is usually just that, and their humanity shines thru years later.

I see that amongst my own group of friends, and associates. I know clearly which ones are the dicks, and which ones are the truly good people.

Seems like this is as good a time as any to crap on 'Merica but it occurs to me this morning that there is nowhere in this world I visit more than the USA, and I consider myself a fairly above average world traveller.

So while I hate a lot of things about what's going on, it's hard to argue there is lots of good there.

It's like the Alex Kovalev of countries. So much to see and be entertained by, but so maddeningly short on reaching its potential of being all around amazing.

Seems like this is as good a time as any to crap on 'Merica but it occurs to me this morning that there is nowhere in this world I visit more than the USA, and I consider myself a fairly above average world traveller.

So while I hate a lot of things about what's going on, it's hard to argue there is lots of good there.

It's like the Alex Kovalev of countries. So much to see and be entertained by, but so maddeningly short on reaching its potential of being all around amazing.

I don't travel the world and have absolutely no ambition to go to Europe, Asia, etc.

Seeing this stuff will not make me travel less to the USA

I don't travel the world and have absolutely no ambition to go to Europe, Asia, etc.

Seeing this stuff will not make me travel less to the USA

I have travelled the world and I want the fck out of this rotten shithole.

Like Arp said...great country with lots of great people and great potential...but corruption and greed and racism has taken over and the shit trickles down.

Like Arp said...great country with lots of great people and great potential...but corruption and greed and racism has taken over and the shit trickles down.

actually corruption and racism are at an all time low but still major problems

Well I could agree that racism is less of an issue, but it's still a much bigger issue than most people realize.

As for corruption...lol

We as a family was going to go somewhere next week Tues-Thurs. Was thinking of heading back to Flint area for golf or my sister cottage for some fishing.

Now wife does not want to go to Flint right now.

I personally don't care either way.

Local police department posted a post on facebook about how it was so wonderful for people to come to the station and be nice to them today due to the tragedy that happened some 1000 miles away. They since changed their profile pic but left the original pic of the ALL LIVES MATTER(was also the profile pic) in the post.

Wow...that uh, yeah. Either a clueless person manning their social media or a police department making a bold statement.

I hate social media on days like today. My head hurts from all the eye rolling. Sad to see friends liking comments or making their own arguments justifying what happened to those two men earlier this week because of what happened last night. I would hate to have a brain that works like that. 2 wrongs don't make a right and they are both senseless tragedies of equal scale/ The senseless killing of human beings.

I've never had world events effect me like they have this past year. I'm truly scared for what the future may bring and I am afraid more for the world Jin will have to live. It's already heartbreaking to hear him tell us how the School shooting drill went when they have one. It's scares me that it will never get better. That we have yet to even touch the surface of the hate and violence coming our way.

My wife is right, back in the day police were not feared. Many reasons but a big one is that they were part of the community. They knew the people and the people knew them. It's so separated and us vs them now. The city I live in has a reputation for some really poor police in that they are aggressive and they are the opposite of city protectors/leaders. There is lots of reported corruption and some incidents that just seem extreme. Back in the day they also trained their police differently how to take down an assailant. It's now almost shoot first and deal with it later. I think many go out scared. I think many are afraid of black people or people different. I don't think they go out looking to kill but they are scared and their poor training results in extreme reactions that lead to terrible results. And because of these incidents we as the public begin to fear the police. I know many women who are scared to be pulled over at night because there are reports of police raping women and fake cops doing the same. More that latter though. I hate having to speak to a cop because I've had just as many aholes as nice guys. I don't what kind of cop I am going to get. I knew a cop through a friend that threatened to shoot me anytime I came through his town because he was treating my friend bad and he got mad at me for protecting her. He also told stories of how he would jerk off after almost every traffic stop because his power turned him on. Those cops and there are many, are frightening.

Im rambling now. Ive been instructed to keep my opinions off facebook so as not to offend any of our stupid racist friends. so I guess Im just venting here. ;) Carry on.

Im going to say this as well. Black people get killed senselessly this week and my facebook timeline is littered with posts about how maybe they deserved it. Shouldn't have been carrying a gun. etc etc. Only a few of my idiot liberal friends showed any compassion towards the tragic loss of life. But right now, as I just went there, are two posts about cops who live in Michigan who received so much "love" today for the tragedy they went through being a cop last night...maybe I am a dick and that is fine, but come the **** on!!!! Not at all implying that the cops in dallas deserved it because hell fck no. It was horrible. But this disparity shows that the cops lives matter wayyyyyyyyy more that the lives of those two other men. That triggers me to like lvl 11! I feel equal heartache for all 7 of them and their families.

And stop with the praying ffs. Look up praying and dallas on twitter. Probably millions of tweets. Praying and Orlando. Millions. Praying and San Beradino, millions, Bahgdad and praying, probably like 12. I think it is now safe to say praying doesn't change anything. Feel free to pray but do more. How about just do one more little thing. Just. Be. Nice. Just being nice, calm, and compassionate. If people would band together and do that then things could change. I think.

OK DONE SORRY>

GRRRRRRRRRRR

I somehow only see tweets I like about these situations. Like is a bad term for this, but, more that I agree with.

I basically never see super racist stuff unless it's retweeted by a non-racist in a mocking fashion.

My Twitter today was filled with essays about how you can be 100% behind the police and still not want them to racially profile, target, and kill innocent black people.

I guess also stuff mocking the crazy people, like "open carry is awesome for white people, the second a black person has a gun in an open carry state, they get killed", etc.

I don't know. I hate all of this shit. I wish it weren't going on. I'm glad I don't follow any completely awful people. I certainly don't have any friends or family who think like that. Helps a lot that I'm far enough removed from it all being (a white) Canadian, but there's definitely still racist cop stuff going on up here.

A post from a young black woman named Natasha Howell, from Maryland.

0 hrs · Andover, MA, United States ·

So this morning I went into a convenient store to get a protein bar. As I walked through the door, I noticed that there were two white police officers (one about my age the other several years older) talking to the clerk (an older white women) behind the counter about the shootings that have gone on in the past few days. They all looked at me and fell silent. I went about my business to get what I was looking for, as I turned back up the isle to go pay, the oldest officer was standing at the top of the isle watching me. As I got closer he asked me, "How I was doing? I replied, "Okay, and you? He looked at me with a strange look and asked me, "How are you really doing?" I looked at him and said "I'm tired!" His reply was, "me too." Then he said, "I guess it's not easy being either of us right now is it." I said, "No, it's not." Then he hugged me and I cried. I had never seen that man before in my life. I have no idea why he was moved to talk to me. What I do know is that he and I shared a moment this morning, that was absolutely beautiful. No judgments, No justifications, just two people sharing a moment. #‎Foundamomentofclarity

all the good stuff I see is on Twitter. Very few Facebook "friends" are Twitter followers and I don't follow them if they even have Twitter.

Trouble with Facebook is that while a "friend" might not say something horrible they will hit the like button on something horrible this putting that horrible thing on my timeline. Then you read it and get sucked into the wormhole of hatred and bigotry in the comments and the next thing you know your mad and depressed.

I also follow a lot of Jins classmates parents. Being that some are extremely white rich and priveledged their views don't always match up. One who I love dearly commented on something a friend posted and that put her comment on my timeline and it was horribly offensive because she I guess hates people who vote democrat. I don't know if she realized that comment goes onto all her friends timelines regardless of who posted the original post. I was floored and still angry and offended by what she wrote because that means that is what she would think about is if she knew we were dirty uneducated democrats.

I don't know. It's a sad sad time.

Rant away Steve!

I don't understand the the thinking (or lack of) it takes to assume that all democrats, or all people with darker skin pigmentation, or all cops are the same.

Rant away Steve!

I don't understand the the thinking (or lack of) it takes to assume that all democrats, or all people with darker skin pigmentation, or all cops are the same.

+1 on the rant away Steve

Dale, I think being able to put everyone into specific stereotypes and categories just makes this stuff easier for the lowest common denominators amongst us.

Also, I am curious to know just how desensitized we are becoming to mass murders.

PS- Canada is sending troops to Latvia, in an effort to bolster NATO against any further Russian excursions. There's a cold war going on.

Rant away Steve!

I think with all the mess and craziness going on you have summed up the issue in a short explanation.

There are bad cops

There are bad black people

There are bad white people

There are bad democrats

There are bad republicans

There are bad -------------(insert any description of anything)

What a lot of people dont realize is the manipulation of the media.

Just curious if anyone has heard of Dylan Noble..I only ask because I dont know what the reporting has been outside of Fresno. This story has hit pretty close to me as I have some common acquaintances with this kid that was killed by police a few weeks ago.

Here is a 19 year old kid that lives in a decent part of town, pulled over by cops and was killed with 4 fatal shots in broad daylight. Police just released the video of the incident and much like the other killings its pretty tough to watch. Here is a kid that seemed to have a long life ahead of him and now he is dead.

The only reason I think this is an issue for me is that Dylan is a white kid, killed by two white cops. Now this might be getting some national press however I dont think as nearly as the other killings in recent months.

I dont really want to pass judgements on if the cops were justified in all the cases..I do know however that we as a nation, society, world have to come together. Do Black Lives Matter? Of course they do..So do White, Brown and Yellow lives for that case.

Did Sterling and Castile deserved to die? Of course not..Were the cops in error in killing them? I think in those cases probably yes..They probably made a wrong judgement. However having seen both sides of the problem, cops have an extremely tough job..

Are there bad cops, racist cops amongst ALL COPS, I am sure yes, like there are in regular society..

This shouldnt be a left vs right issue.

This shouldnt be a black man vs cop issue..

IMO...