2016 Nhl Playoffs

Has Crosby been the Pens best player in the playoffs so far or has it been Kessel ?

Complete game... Probably Crosby. Or Letang. Maybe even Murray has been more important.

Kessel and his line have been great, and they picked up the scoring when the top two lines were shut down... Has Kessel been the best player overall? I don't know. I doubt it.

I'm still rooting for him to win the Conn Smythe though.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Burns' beard is incredible and I won't hear anything else on the subject.

That was beyond words amazing. What a night. So much to share with you guys, but too spent to do it right now. But here's one snapshot: when Sid carried the cup into the dressing room, he set it up in

Ya I found that a little hard to believe when I read it, to be honest with you.

Complete game... Probably Crosby. Or Letang. Maybe even Murray has been more important.

Kessel and his line have been great, and they picked up the scoring when the top two lines were shut down... Has Kessel been the best player overall? I don't know. I doubt it.

I'm still rooting for him to win the Conn Smythe though.

This is basically the definition of this Pens team right now. Balance and depth.

Crosby and Malkin tore up the Rangers, but couldn't score much against the Caps, but the Kessel line stepped up and did. And the 4th line had some key goals too (Cullen and Kuhn).

Has Crosby been the Pens best player in the playoffs so far or has it been Kessel ?

i think I'd have to go Murray then letang. Kessel has been better than Crosby but those two have been great. Hagelin too with his PK time.

But yes, Phil sitting at the corner of Yonge and Dundas eating hot dogs off the conn smythe would be pretty fun to watch.

i think I'd have to go Murray then letang. Kessel has been better than Crosby but those two have been great. Hagelin too with his PK time.

But yes, Phil sitting at the corner of Yonge and Dundas eating hot dogs off the conn smythe would be pretty fun to watch.

I'd be all for him winning it if he would do this.

This is a good game.

Pens dominating possession but like 100% of the time the Lightning got in the zone they had a grade A scoring chance. Can't believe it's still 2-2.

Adam Gretz

Adam Gretz‏ @AGretz

In 96 regular season/playoff games this year Brent Burns has 33 goals and 93 points. As a defenseman. Insanity.

May 17, 2016, 10:47:29 PM

So anyone sitting in certain seats in Tampa is prohibited from wearing Pittsburgh colours...how ridiculous!

I think Burns should get the Norris (Goals are >>>>>>>>>> assists IMO) but he'll probably come in third because point totals are seen as the end-all-be-all and there's a strange subset of the hockey world that wants to give a lifetime achievement award to Drew Doughty this year for some reason, even though his season was probably not even top 5 among D men this year. so I predict the final order will be Karlson>Doughty>Burns

This constant Doughty love kills me. He's an amazing defenseman. He's easily a #1. But we're going to give a guy a "lifetime achievement" Norris to a guy who has never had the best season among defenseman? That's what the hall of fame is for, not individual season awards.

I want to proclaim that Doughty is so overrated, but that's not entirely true. He's overrated in the sense that he's a top-30 d-man (probably even better) constantly referred to as a top 2 d-man.

Completely agree Burns should get it. His season has been insane and he's a huge reason, probably the biggest reason the Sharks are in the WCF.

So anyone sitting in certain seats in Tampa is prohibited from wearing Pittsburgh colours...how ridiculous!

I feel like maybe I should be outraged by this, but I really don't care. I understand why it is good for their "brand" to not have a bunch of penguins jerseys visible in the crowd for nationally televised games. In situations where supply > demand and you probably aren't going to piss of a significant amount of regular customers, why shouldn't the team pick and choose who sits in certain seats or enforce rules for people sitting in certain seats?

There's a lot more to defense than points, but Doughty is 16th in points per game among defenseman with 55+ gp.

Karlsson had 82 points in 82 games!!! That's insane too. Doughty should be #3 on this ballot by a mile, and my ballot would have him behind a few other players probably, too.

I feel like maybe I should be outraged by this, but I really don't care. I understand why it is good for their "brand" to not have a bunch of penguins jerseys visible in the crowd for nationally televised games. In situations where supply > demand and you probably aren't going to piss of a significant amount of regular customers, why shouldn't the team pick and choose who sits in certain seats or enforce rules for people sitting in certain seats?

Yeah, lots of indifference from me too.

I'd be upset if I were going to a game and told not to wear my jersey, though. This policy probably negaticely affects like 10 people directly, likely zero of whom are the ones freaking out on Twitter.

There's a lot more to defense than points, but Doughty is 16th in points per game among defenseman with 55+ gp.

Karlsson had 82 points in 82 games!!! That's insane too. Doughty should be #3 on this ballot by a mile, and my ballot would have him behind a few other players probably, too.

Burns led d-men (>500 mins played) in individual Corsi/60 by a MILE. Almost 2x 60th-place Doughty.

I can understand suggesting what someone should or shouldn't wear, but prohibiting someone from wearing something is ridiculous...especially when they paid for the right to attend. Does it indicate a dresscode on the tickets?

It's not on my list of things I get overly worked up about either...I just hope there's nice cleavage behind one of the benches.

Burns' beard is inexcusable though. I think it is reasonable to root against someone who makes you physically ill to see, which is why I was never a Steve Thomas fan.

Also, why did Burns sometimes play forward in previous years? I just assumed it was because he was weak defensively, but presumably he can't have gotten that much better that quickly. Or is it just a situation like Subban where his defensive play alone might be special, but the offensive skills just mean the other team is usually on the run?

Burns' beard is inexcusable though. I think it is reasonable to root against someone who makes you physically ill to see, which is why I was never a Steve Thomas fan.

Also, why did Burns sometimes play forward in previous years? I just assumed it was because he was weak defensively, but presumably he can't have gotten that much better that quickly. Or is it just a situation like Subban where his defensive play alone might be special, but the offensive skills just mean the other team is usually on the run?

I think it was a combination of SJ having too many d-men and a need for a scoring winger... Some chemistry developed and it kind of stuck. Not sure, but certainly could have been a weak defender.

But this year, his Corsi is miles ahead of anyone else, which means he had the puck far more often than the other team, which is probably the best defense.

• Like 1

I think I may have mis-understood the Corsi stat I was citing.

The Burns stat, which he is leading by miles is 5-on-5 individual Corsi, which I guess is his own total per 60, not his on-ice Corsi. Doughty is 60th in this category.

On-ice Corsi%, however, among defenseman with 500+ mins, Drew Doughty is leading. Next is Brayden McNabb. Burns is 27th.

I guess it's up to you to decide which is better. I can make a couple inferences, but I don't know which is more meaningful to a "best defenseman season", if either are.

I guess the obvious inferences are that Burns is taking a TON of shot attempts himself. That stat doesn't measure opponents' shot attempts against him.

Doughty is taking nearly half as many shot attempts himself, but while he's on the ice, his team is dominating, taking nearly 59% of all shot attempts.

Burns on-ice Corsi is still very good, over 53%, so his team is still carrying play while he's on, but joy quite Doughty/Kings level.

All above is 5-on-5.