Us Politics For Betting (Not Talking About Politics)

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was going to let this slide, but I just watched the video in question again and I just can't.   You watched a black man almost moved to tears as he passionately talked about an election and a coun

Most of you know that I am a fiscal conservative. If you didn't, you know now. I didn't vote for Trump and Im pretty sure I wouldn't have voted for Bernie Sanders. Would have looked for a 3rd candidat

My aunt used to foster parent children. I don't know how many she had, but I'd guess a few.   The last one she had she ended up adopting and now she's my cousin and she's awesome. She's early in he

We observed and celebrated Muslim holidays because our friends and colleagues did. We never were offended by Muslim tradition.

Im confused, which muslim holidays did you celebrate? You fasted for Ramadan? lol

To be honest, there are quite a few Islamic/Muslin traditions that offend/bug me. The ones that offend have to do with how women are treated.

I also got offended by how MOST refer to most non-Muslims.

(there are also a few Christian ones that offend me too, but most of those are more nuisance)

Dale, are you offended that I'm offended at that? :)

I guess I'm not as liberal as some or most people on here or elsewhere.

We are becoming as a society too politically correct. We are worried about offending every minority.

We cry racist at the slightest remark that doesn't include everyone.

Im confused, which muslim holidays did you celebrate? You fasted for Ramadan? lol

To be honest, there are quite a few Islamic/Muslin traditions that offend/bug me. The ones that offend have to do with how women are treated.

I also got offended by how MOST refer to most non-Muslims.

(there are also a few Christian ones that offend me too, but most of those are more nuisance)

Dale, are you offended that I'm offended at that? :)

Ok celebrated was maybe wrong thing. For example today is The day Kemal Ataturk is celebrated in Turkey. We did observe it and honoured the man. While we don't fast on Ramadan we respect our friends traditions.

Ataturk I guess is more nationalistic and not religious. It's a bad example.

I had a friend in grade 5 that every morning left during O Canada because his parents didn't believe in honouring the country by standing.

That is just wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

Ok celebrated was maybe wrong thing. For example today is The day Kemal Ataturk is celebrated in Turkey. We did observe it and honoured the man. While we don't fast on Ramadan we respect our friends traditions.

Ataturk I guess is more nationalistic and not religious. It's a bad example.

I dont know, as someone who lived there, I dont recall ever observing Islamic traditions in any sense. More than anything, they wouldn't even want us to as Christians. If you mean respect as in we wouldnt belittle it somehow, ok, but I dont recall ever being told to get on my knees and pray to Mecca.

Outside of maybe my father not going to work because it was a holiday (national, not religious), cant recall anything about Islamic holidays.

We have to always remember that our rights to make our own decisions don't mean we have the right to silence others or stop them from their own free will.

Does this apply in Quebec with regards to language laws?

Free will is but an illusion.

At some point, the argument will have to be how much of Canadas traditions do you want to hold dear and maintain VS what the new Canadian order will look like in 100 years.

Does this apply in Quebec with regards to language laws?

Free will is but an illusion.

At some point, the argument will have to be how much of Canadas traditions do you want to hold dear and maintain VS what the new Canadian order will look like in 100 years.

Quebec language laws are disgusting and shameful. They are also unconstitutional but they used the not withstanding clause that allows them to pass laws that don't have to be constitutional.

"Happy Holidays". There you go. Complicated.

If a stranger wishes you a Happy New Year (or a Happy Rosh Hashanah) next August, would you think they were being nice, or being weird, or both?

Id find it strange (the Rosh Hashanah one) but I would still appreciate it. Maybe they are excited for that holiday. Who am I to get bent out of shape over it?

People are to uptight. I used to be as well. But the last two Xmas' I watched people at the mall react to Jin who would just say Merry Christmas to anyone he saw. Some would smile and say it back and others would ignore him or give him a disgusted look. By doing some racial/stereotype profiling I can say some of those rude people were not ones that probably celebrate Christmas. What kind of sad idividual do you have to be to get upset when an excited 3/4 yr old wishes you a Merry Xmas. He's not doing it to push his religion on you. He's just excited because Santa is coming to town. We are not a religious family in any way shape or form. Christmas is a reason to force our family to spend some time with each other. I never celebrated Easter as an adult until Jin came and now it's a day he gets chocolate. Not everyone celebrates these holidays because they are devout Christians. Hell I've celebrated Succot(?) a few times.

People just look for reasons nowadays to get angry. I know first hand as I was once angry Steve. People here bitch about a local music station that starts playing Christmas music 24/7 on Nov 1st and goes till Jan 1st. Get over it. There's a ton of other channels you can tune to.

I don't mind political correctness. More of a fan though of common sense and common decency.

• Like 2

I think The Quebec laws are racist.

It's tough to see how it's gotten through.

Section 33 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom allows Federal or Provincial Governments to pass laws that override the Charter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_Thirty-three_of_the_Canadian_Charter_of_Rights_and_Freedoms

Well said Steve.

I find most of this stuff we are talking about is mostly just common sense, and at the end of the day, just about kindness. I'm amazed any adult could be offended at a kid saying Merry Christmas, Id be laughing and smiling if some 3 year old came up to me and wished me a Happy Kwanzaa. I wonder if its just they don't know how to respond to it? Just be kind, smile and give them a friendly moment as part of their day.

I feel the same about political correctness. Like you implied, just have common decency to not be a dick to someone, and if you think there is a chance what you say will offend them, then dont say it! What the fck, is it that hard? For the most part, I know who amongst my customers celebrate Christmas and who doesn't. If they probably do, I wish them a Merry Christmas. If they dont and I know it, I say enjoy your holidays. I dont feel offended that I had to say happy holidays.

Maybe if both sides just exercised courtesy and put other peoples feelings into consideration, none of this would be an issue.

• Like 2

I guess I'm not as liberal as some or most people on here or elsewhere.

We are becoming as a society too politically correct. We are worried about offending every minority.

We cry racist at the slightest remark that doesn't include everyone.

Well no one is offended or calling anyone racist, and the conversation didn't have much to do with political correctness or liberalism. All I can tell you guys is that growing up, if someone said "Merry Christmas" to me, it sounded a lot less nice than if they said "Happy Holidays". Extrapolate that however you want, I suppose.

Id find it strange (the Rosh Hashanah one) but I would still appreciate it. Maybe they are excited for that holiday. Who am I to get bent out of shape over it?

People are to uptight. I used to be as well. But the last two Xmas' I watched people at the mall react to Jin who would just say Merry Christmas to anyone he saw. Some would smile and say it back and others would ignore him or give him a disgusted look. By doing some racial/stereotype profiling I can say some of those rude people were not ones that probably celebrate Christmas. What kind of sad idividual do you have to be to get upset when an excited 3/4 yr old wishes you a Merry Xmas. He's not doing it to push his religion on you. He's just excited because Santa is coming to town. We are not a religious family in any way shape or form. Christmas is a reason to force our family to spend some time with each other. I never celebrated Easter as an adult until Jin came and now it's a day he gets chocolate. Not everyone celebrates these holidays because they are devout Christians. Hell I've celebrated Succot(?) a few times.

People just look for reasons nowadays to get angry. I know first hand as I was once angry Steve. People here bitch about a local music station that starts playing Christmas music 24/7 on Nov 1st and goes till Jan 1st. Get over it. There's a ton of other channels you can tune to.

I don't mind political correctness. More of a fan though of common sense and common decency.

Yeah, everything I said about "being nice" or whatever doesn't apply to a 3-year old, or even a much older kid. If a kid of any age is exuberantly saying Merry Christmas (or anything), then anyone reasonable should assume they are just excited and it is a very nice thing.

I said that some of you guys had to be aware that you were taking the side of "mean" people (but for good reasons), you made me realize that I'm also taking the side of a bunch of uptight, unthinking dicks (also for good reasons...at least in my opinion)

I think the only time I could be "offended" by anything in this type of discussion is if people who don't know me enough to know if I'm Jewish wish me a Happy Hanukkah just because of how I look! While that has probably happened more than a few times though, I can generally just pretend that they actually know I'm Jewish or that they themselves are celebrating it, so say the same to me lol

Well no one is offended or calling anyone racist, and the conversation didn't have much to do with political correctness or liberalism. All I can tell you guys is that growing up, if someone said "Merry Christmas" to me, it sounded a lot less nice than if they said "Happy Holidays". Extrapolate that however you want, I suppose.

I extrapolate it to conclude you were more hung up on your issues than on the intention of the other person.

I extrapolate it to conclude you were more hung up on your issues than on the intention of the other person.

That is a weird thing to suggest about a 12-year old. I had no issues at that time, it just was somebody wishing me well for a holiday I didn't care about. They could've said Happy Birthday or Happy Diwali and it would've meant about the same.

I'm not following very closely so can anyone tell me why someone wouldn't vote for Bernie Sanders?

I would gladly vote for him. But I'll be forced to counter the idiots voting trump so my vote will have to go elsewhere.

Bernies is to logical, sane, and intelligent to get votes. #America!

• Like 1

Trump won't win...not even close. He'll get a lot of idiots voting for him, but he won't get any of the minority idiot votes.

BTW, he's gone Nazi now.

Why do you say that, Serge?

Just listening to him talk. I can't imagine him running this country.

I'm definitely right leaning in my political views and I would support several of the Republican candidates. For me though I can't blindly agree with all their views.

Sanders just seems weird to me.