The Hottest Of Takes

Hi Essay,

I'm on my phone, it's hard to quote things. When I said rational behavior, I meant rational as in predictable. You seem to have conservative tastes and mores, with general liberal values. You want your lesbians femmy, the black actresses light skinned and willowy, etc.

Maybe it's the flat out "attractive/unattractive" stuff that rankles?

• Like 1
  • Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think they'll take care of that for you when their daughter tells them you've been Liking all her beach pictures.

OK, so I just looked into the new methods a little bit, and am 100% sold. Apparently the problem isn't that they are nurfed out or worse, it's that parents don't understand them, and find them confusi

I think what ever black man said that, has learned how to tap dance for the white folk masterfully. Keep getting that paper, buddy!

Hey frau.

I think i categorized it that way, hot or not, because when i said i wasnt into serena i was called a racist. So i broke it down to its base question - does she get me hard? Its a little vulgar, sure, and unfair to Serena, but i was defending myself and arguments can be necessarily direct.

I reserve the right to be uninterested in serena because im not attracted to her. And like i said, way more sexist than racist. Its just so easy to scream racism when someone criticizes a famous black person, when, in my mind, this isnt racism, its personal preference. And of course i prefer my sexual fantasies to be about women who look a certain way, a way that is opposite of serena williams.

Im comfortable saying these things because i know for a fact there a billions of women who are not sexually attracted to me. I dont think theyre racists, the just arent into guys who like like me.

I forgot my point, but im sure i made it successfully.

• Like 1

Whenever I discuss serious things with you it always goes badly, but I'll try again, with nothing but the purest intentions

This is such a perspective of white privlege. Discussing race and homophobia is not playing a card. It's a real thing these people deal with on a daily basis.

The reason white people dont like discussing race is because there is nowhere for us to go, we always end up looking bad, and that is the truth. We are awful to people of color, as a whole.

That doesn't mean you specifically, Tilt, but in general, you can't possibly relate to their struggle, which is real. White conservatives are always "slavery is over, get over it and stop complaining". But there is oodles of data and programs in place that continually keep people of color poor, in jail and in their place, and then we say "well, shape up and stop taking handouts." It's just dishonest

Do plenty of people of color do themselves no favors? Absolutely. But their outcomes are so much more punitive than those outcomes of whites who do the same, re: dealings with police and the courts. Data shows blacks are sentenced way harder, which perpetuates the cycle

That's just my disjointed .02. In person is easier to have this talk, because I only post from my phone

I agree with almost everything you said here. The exception would be that, while you are right about white people discussing race being a no win situation, I would add " when discussing race with people of color"

For whatever reason, age probably, I've made a point over the past few months to read and listen to discussions and information about race relations, governments programs that essentially guaranteed African Americans would be held down and segregated (specifically with housing) etc... so I feel I'm becoming more enlightened and, as a result, more compassionate towards their "struggle". Admittedly I have a long way to go, but I'm learning all the time.

That said, and keep in mind I was speaking in generalities in the post you quoted, if you sit back and really pay attention to discussions about race, homosexuality and the like, it is astonishing how often it is that the person "losing" the argument or, more often, running out of counter points will then fall back on the tried and true "well you are being racist/homophobic/hateful etc...".

For example, my dislike of Obama has zero to do with his race and everything to do with his policies yet I can't tell you how often the person I'm talking with will eventually tell me I don't like him because I'm racist. Its easy and it's lazy because there's nowhere for the discussion to go from there because it turns into nothing more than defending oneself from this label.

An example is the number of posts Essay has made defending himself for being racist when all he did was state he found a woman, who happens to be black, wasn't attractive to him.

I'm not so sure but maybe.

I gotta tell ya Tilt, I always lumped you in with the majority of dumbass America. Today, with your surprising willingness to at least listen to the other side, you've moved up a step. You're officially ahead of the Fox News patrons.

• Like 1

I agree with almost everything you said here. The exception would be that, while you are right about white people discussing race being a no win situation, I would add " when discussing race with people of color"

For whatever reason, age probably, I've made a point over the past few months to read and listen to discussions and information about race relations, governments programs that essentially guaranteed African Americans would be held down and segregated (specifically with housing) etc... so I feel I'm becoming more enlightened and, as a result, more compassionate towards their "struggle". Admittedly I have a long way to go, but I'm learning all the time.

That said, and keep in mind I was speaking in generalities in the post you quoted, if you sit back and really pay attention to discussions about race, homosexuality and the like, it is astonishing how often it is that the person "losing" the argument or, more often, running out of counter points will then fall back on the tried and true "well you are being racist/homophobic/hateful etc...".

For example, my dislike of Obama has zero to do with his race and everything to do with his policies yet I can't tell you how often the person I'm talking with will eventually tell me I don't like him because I'm racist. Its easy and it's lazy because there's nowhere for the discussion to go from there because it turns into nothing more than defending oneself from this label.

An example is the number of posts Essay has made defending himself for being racist when all he did was state he found a woman, who happens to be black, wasn't attractive to him.

I meant to add, if you're a reader and actually interested in reading this stuff, read Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow. It starts a little slow for a about 20 pages, then the next 4-6 chapters blew my mind, and then it faded a little towards the end. But the early middle just wowed me.

Another thing to read, a long article in The Atlantic, The Case for Reparations by Ta'hneisi Coates (spelling?). And before you recoil, he's not demanding reparations, but it's just a theme of the article. I found it super interesting and enlightening

Another thing to read, a long article in The Atlantic, The Case for Reparations by Ta'hneisi Coates (spelling?). And before you recoil, he's not demanding reparations, but it's just a theme of the article. I found it super interesting and enlightening

He has a new book out, that Bomani gushed about, and I'm going to check it out. I love Coates.

I gotta tell ya Tilt, I always lumped you in with the majority of dumbass America. Today, with your surprising willingness to at least listen to the other side, you've moved up a step. You're officially ahead of the Fox News patrons.

Ditto

I meant to add, if you're a reader and actually interested in reading this stuff, read Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow. It starts a little slow for a about 20 pages, then the next 4-6 chapters blew my mind, and then it faded a little towards the end. But the early middle just wowed me.

I was listening to NPR the other day and they had a long interview with him talking about his new book. His stories, the new book is written as a letter to his teenage son, are very interesting and enlightening. I don't agree with everything he talked about regarding parenting in general but hearing how he raised his son, coming from the perspective of a black man and the inherent prejudices he, and his son, face was really interesting.

Incidentally, I'd never really listened to NPR but a friend suggested I listen a few months back and I've gotten hooked. (Remember, I spend 1,200+ miles a week in the car) what I like about them, other than the vast topics they discuss, is that the information is presented as just that, information, with no bias so you are left to form your own opinions.

• Like 2

We call you racist for your body of work. This Serena thing is us just giving you shit.

And Frau, I take exception to that last part about Serena. She is known and shown to be very petulant when losing or if a call goes the wrong way. She's a pretty poor loser, which isn't a crime. Otherwise, spot on

I didn't write that, it's a quote from the thing I linked to. So, I guess you could say I Internet Wrote it, because I linked to it, and agreed with most of it. Yes, that's correct. Please give me the credit.

So i broke it down to its base question - does she get me hard? Its a little vulgar, sure, and unfair to Serena, but i was defending myself and arguments can be necessarily direct.

Yeah, again, I don't think you're racist, either within this thread or on the board. I do think you like to pick extreme sides of an argument to limit discussion.

The question was "Is Serena attractive?" which you made "Does Serena make me hard?" I find a lot of people attractive who don't sexually excite me.

• Like 1

Yeah, again, I don't think you're racist, either within this thread or on the board. I do think you like to pick extreme sides of an argument to limit discussion.

The question was "Is Serena attractive?" which you made "Does Serena make me hard?" I find a lot of people attractive who don't sexually excite me.

if you don't limit the scope of the discussion with your arguments, how do you expect to win?

That's the ****ing problem with "arguing." I don't know if it was always this way, because it probably was, but an argument shouldn't have to have a winner. It's that idiotic viewpoint that lets no meaningful discussion ever take place. Compromise is the basis of all agreements; thinking that there HAS to be a winner in EVERY SINGLE ARGUMENT is the worst part of this country right now. Everyone is afraid to give a little, to be labeled a loser. I love losing arguments (I don't argue with many people) because it means I learned something. Staunchly sticking to your beliefs despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary is what religious ideas are based off of. It's a horrible look. And its the base of internet politics in today's age, which is the worst part. No one needs to think for themselves, because there's a million idiots just a click away confirming your own opinion.

I'm in a tough bourbon zone right now. That Woodford Reserve ain't bad.

• Like 5

I find a lot of people attractive who don't sexually excite me.

Women are from Mars men are from Venus.

I agree Thera. In the Twitter/Facebook world we live in now too many people only care about how many likes or retweets they can generate. Which leads to bandwagon jumping to increase the likelihood someone's "views" will be praised.