Olympic Hockey

I was 2, so I don't know, but was Mario and Wayne as magical as we remember it now, when it actually happened? Like, was their playing together hyped up before that play? Or is it something we've just romanticized over the years as the two best forwards in NHL history playing

I was 16, and my faded memory is that it was still being debated how great Mario was. He still had the selfish tag on him, and there was little doubt that Wayne was the greatest and Mario was the young star, with greatness upside but no sure thing to be amazing.

I wasn't a huge Mario fan at the time, I liked him, but it was all Gretzky for me. But it was like Mario found another gear and I felt like at times Mario was better than Wayne, which I would never have imagined going into that tourney.

That final was Mario's coming out party,and those 6-5 (?) games were all amazing. Lots of scoring, lots of intensity and I thought the Soviets were just amazing to watch. I have always enjoyed watching 'Soviet' hockey more than any other.

It's so hard to compare those days to today with the Internet, twitter. Those days, something being hyped meant you read it in the paper last week and some of your friends were talking about. There wasn't anything on radio, TV or my phone,about who would play with who, and what it meant. Lol

• Like 1
  • Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As opposed to all the other productive stuff that gets done around here? lol

He'd just give it up anyways.

Look at that undrafted too-short hockey player with an Olympic gold medal hanging around his neck!

Slava Malamud tweeted his guesses the other day:

G: Varlamov, Bobrovsky, Yeryomenko (Dynamo). No.1 job Varly's to lose

D: Markov, Emelin, Voynov - locks. Tyutin, Nikitin - probables. KHLers: Medvedev, Nikulin - locks. Denisov, Ryasensky - maybe. Snub: Kulikov

C: Datsyuk, Malkin - obviously. Anisimov - because who else? KHLer Tereshchenko a virtual lock. Snub - Tikhonov, unless he unseats Anisimov

W: Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Radulov, Semin, Kulemin - duh. Tarasenko, Nichushkin - maybe. 2-3 more KHLers. Snubs - Kuznetsov, Yakupov.

I don't think any country can match the power, scoring , excitement of the top 4 of Russia. Let's not forget the home advantage, which will be huge.

What a power play. Datsyuk Ovechkin Malkin Kovalchuk Markov.

This is fun. Sweden:

Forwards:

H Sedin

D Sedin

Backstrom

Steen

Zetterberg

Alfie

Franzen

Johansson

Landeskog

Defence

Karlson

Ekman Larson

Hedman

Kronwall

Edler

Hjalmarsson

Oduya?

Goalies

The King

The Monster

Lehner

Lidstrom???

Sweden will be very good too

Awe the 87 Canada cup at copps. Wayne to Mario remember it well.

Some guy rented the ice for some shinny and all we did was try to recreate wayne to Mario

I was 16, and my faded memory is that it was still being debated how great Mario was. He still had the selfish tag on him, and there was little doubt that Wayne was the greatest and Mario was the young star, with greatness upside but no sure thing to be amazing.

I wasn't a huge Mario fan at the time, I liked him, but it was all Gretzky for me. But it was like Mario found another gear and I felt like at times Mario was better than Wayne, which I would never have imagined going into that tourney.

That final was Mario's coming out party,and those 6-5 (?) games were all amazing. Lots of scoring, lots of intensity and I thought the Soviets were just amazing to watch. I have always enjoyed watching 'Soviet' hockey more than any other.

It's so hard to compare those days to today with the Internet, twitter. Those days, something being hyped meant you read it in the paper last week and some of your friends were talking about. There wasn't anything on radio, TV or my phone,about who would play with who, and what it meant. Lol

Ah yeah, forgot Mario was just 3 years into his career at that point.

I saw a photo of him in the locker room, so unless it was mis-captioned, and it was not him, he looked a lot older than I expected him to be, lol.

white guys age faster

I just remembered that I bet a Pens fan buddy of mine $50 a few months ago that Kunitz wouldn't be on the Olympic team. It seemed so far fetched at the time....

Rob Rossi@RobRossi_Trib 1m

Curious strategy by Canada to delay unveil of Olympic team until after Games. Don't think USA brass saw that coming.

Mister Falcon@CarcelMousineau 3m

For anyone who's wondered what a wedding is like without alcohol, now you know!

Butter Chicken@MrButterChicken 6m

"Next, Hockey Canada will have Yoko Ono setting fire to an electric violin. This is symbolic of hockey somehow."

// some of the better jokes 20 minutes into the press conference

• Like 1

Luongo, Price, Smith.

Bouwmeester, Doughty, Hamhuis, Keith, Pietrangelo, Subban, Vlasic, Weber

Benn Bergeron Carter Crosby Duchene Getzlaf Kunitz Marleau Nash Perry Sharp Stamkos Tavares Toews

Bleh