Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

I've been playing around with my taxes for the last week or so. I don't quite have my documents in order yet, but I was trying to figure out what kind of RRSP contribution I can make to max out my return.

It's pretty remarkable. If I put in about $1739, it increases my return by like $800 or something... basically free money.

I was trying to figure out where the returns start to diminish and probably contribute that much. I don't have the cash handy, but my return will be almost 2x the contribution amount so I can just borrow it from my line of credit.

Nice little scam we've got going here. That's probably mostly attributable to having tuition amounts carried forward that I have to burn.

I'm going to be a responsible adult and do what I should have done over a decade ago and get back to contributing to my RRSP every paycheck. I'll definitely have to accelerate it though if I ever want to retire. Lol.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

(I have $800 unused amount carried forward, and a contribution limit of like $15,000 total)

I figured out if I contributed $4000, I'd get a return of $4013... $13 might be enough to cover the interest on the month or so between taking money from my line of credit to put into my RRSP and getting my return to pay off the line of credit... but I'd end up with $1316.84 in free money. That's the turning point where my contribution stays less than my return.

I think I'd rather take some cash out of my return and save for a vacation this summer, though. So I'll probably stick to the point where returns start to diminish, which is around a $950 contribution (plus the extra $800 carried forward that wouldn't go into my RRSP, but increases my return.)

How do you mean?

They all have pension income. Thus when they pull their RRSPs out they will get taxed on it. No way around it.

I had one client last year said she is going to take early retirement. Her house is paid off and the 2 loser sons of her actually have jobs and may move out.

She was all happy with her nest egg of $700k in her RRSP. I said no you don't have that. She said what do you mean, I said you don't have it. When you withdraw it, you will get taxed. You only have $350k (estimating of course).

She was near tears.

Actually RRSPs are good for first time homebuyers. They can borrow $25k from their RRSPs pretty much interest free for 17 years.

They all have pension income. Thus when they pull their RRSPs out they will get taxed on it. No way around it.

I had one client last year said she is going to take early retirement. Her house is paid off and the 2 loser sons of her actually have jobs and may move out.

She was all happy with her nest egg of $700k in her RRSP. I said no you don't have that. She said what do you mean, I said you don't have it. When you withdraw it, you will get taxed. You only have $350k (estimating of course).

She was near tears.

Actually RRSPs are good for first time homebuyers. They can borrow $25k from their RRSPs pretty much interest free for 17 years.

Well, she was ignorant of a fundamental aspect of RRSPs, LOL.

I have a very hard time imagining I'll have much of a pension at all. Don't think that's how the world works anymore. I don't have a pension plan through work, though perhaps my directors and executives have a pension plan I don't know about. I'll have whatever CPP scraps are remaining and whatever I save for myself. I doubt I'll be in the highest tax brackets when I'm withdrawing this money. Lol.

Well, she was ignorant of a fundamental aspect of RRSPs, LOL.

I have a very hard time imagining I'll have much of a pension at all. Don't think that's how the world works anymore. I don't have a pension plan through work, though perhaps my directors and executives have a pension plan I don't know about. I'll have whatever CPP scraps are remaining and whatever I save for myself. I doubt I'll be in the highest tax brackets when I'm withdrawing this money. Lol.

Why call her ignorant. She is a single mother trying to raise her 2 loser sons.

She only worked to support those 2 and that was it. She was able to pay off her home as a single mother.

Either way, when you do withdraw RRSPs you will get taxed.

Why call her ignorant. She is a single mother trying to raise her 2 loser sons.

She only worked to support those 2 and that was it. She was able to pay off her home as a single mother.

Either way, when you do withdraw RRSPs you will get taxed.

Ah, that's fair. I wasn't using ignorant as a derogatory term, rather just to mean "didn't know". I looked up the definition now and it seems that it carries more weight than that. Learn something new every day.

Anyways, I thought it was common knowledge that that's how RRSPs worked. The whole idea is to defer tax now, and use the money as "income" when you're presumably in a lower tax bracket. Seems unlikely that people save enough to withdraw more annually in retirement than they earned during the prime of their careers.

Ah, that's fair. I wasn't using ignorant as a derogatory term, rather just to mean "didn't know". I looked up the definition now and it seems that it carries more weight than that. Learn something new every day.

Anyways, I thought it was common knowledge that that's how RRSPs worked. The whole idea is to defer tax now, and use the money as "income" when you're presumably in a lower tax bracket. Seems unlikely that people save enough to withdraw more annually in retirement than they earned during the prime of their careers.

A lot of people don't know the tax system and have no clue. I had a whole family get caught up in this scam in my building. Each one owed $40k to CRA after they were caught. There were 5 in the family.

I actually talked to the CRA auditor (on another matter with a client of mine) who let the hammer down on them. He told me he could not do anything to the preparer and I scream at him "but he is still in business on Lawrence and Vic Park".

I could go on and on but I will stop.

A lot of people don't know the tax system and have no clue. I had a whole family get caught up in this scam in my building. Each one owed $40k to CRA after they were caught. There were 5 in the family.

I actually talked to the CRA auditor (on another matter with a client of mine) who let the hammer down on them. He told me he could not do anything to the preparer and I scream at him "but he is still in business on Lawrence and Vic Park".

I could go on and on but I will stop.

Yikes. Maybe I'm taking my knowledge for granted. My mom is in financial services, though not tax related or anything, but that's probably where I get some stuff that I thought was common knowledge.

Olameter, Bob?

no

I think those are the guys who bid really low and do a shitty job for utilities.

The company I work with is a family business that has the Enbridge contract for Southern Ontario plus some other smaller utilities.

no

I think those are the guys who bid really low and do a shitty job for utilities.

The company I work with is a family business that has the Enbridge contract for Southern Ontario plus some other smaller utilities.

Good!

I had a shitty experience with Olameter. Applied, interviewed, got the job...then they never called again and wouldn't return my messages.

Except all that stuff is sparse in auto-oriented sprawl.

True, though getting better. And I doubt he feels much like stopping to catch anyway, he can just pop on a few incubators and march off eggs!

This post is likely very confusing for anyone who doesn't play...