Off Topic, Kinda.....

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some lighthearted talk here plus this will make sure that I can read this again sometime as it's a good story, at least for me. If it wasnt for posting all those apartment stories I would forget almos

I debated posting this, because I might be overdoing this topic this week, but I made a sort of personal promise to myself that I am going to promote more positivity and try to never be negative or pu

Danny.... Thats a great attitude to have, and you will be amazed at the progress Owen can make with that kind of attitude and persistence on your part. On Feb 4, 2003, the diagnosis I got was that

my 4-sport super draft is tomorrow. I wish I could say I have a well defined strategy going in, but I just haven't had time.

My "rough" plan:

1. first round targets are: Kevin Durant, Lebron james, Kevin Love, Mike Trout, Miggy cabrera

2. Depending on how the draft goes, I am going to "punt" hockey. My reasoning, I think Hockey is going to be the sport where I have very little competitive advantage, I expect some of the others in the pool to feel differently, and be focusing on hockey first and foremost, this should allow me to really press my (percieved) competitive advantage in Baseball and Football. Plus, since the hockey season is so far away, there will be tons of innefficient drafting of hockey players, and I should be able to attack the free agent market closer to the 2014-2015 season. I will only be drafting hockey players when I feel there is a significant value oppurtunity, or if others in the draft are neglecting hockey, I'll switch strategies.

3. If I can get one of the "big three" basketball players in the first round, that should partly negate my lack of basketball knowledge.

That's.. about it. I've got some really rough rankings printed out for hockey, basketball, and football, and some good tiers printed out for baseball.

I tend to go the opposite. If I feel my knowledge is greater than the field, then I hold off on that part til later knowing I have an extinct advantage for the later round players in the sport/category I know well

I tend to go the opposite. If I feel my knowledge is greater than the field, then I hold off on that part til later knowing I have an extinct advantage for the later round players in the sport/category I know well

Isn't that what Dubey said too?

He is tackling basketball first, his weakest sport and leaving hockey to the end because he feels comfortable there?

draft is complete. Ended up pretty much punting basketball. Guys were going heavy on it early and I quickly realized my rankings were horribly out of date/bad, and I just couldn't justify wasting value on picks I had no idea about. I ended up with a pretty stacked baseball and hockey team, a decent football team, and a terrible basketball team. Here are my rosters with the draft round in brackets. 10 man pool, I had the 8th pick.

Hockey:

F - Evgeni Malkin (3)

F - Anze Kopitar (7)

F - Chris Kunitz (16)

F - Pavel Datsyuk (19)

F - Zach Parise (20)

D - Byfuglien (15)

D - Kris Letang (21)

D - Shattenkirk (29)

Flex - Alexander Semin (26)

G - Henrik Lundqvist (22)

Bench - Max Pacioretty (27)

Bench - Henrik Zetterburg (43)

Bench - Mike Ribeiro (50)

Bench - Gustav Nyquist (51)

Bench - Slava Voynov (52)

Baseball

C - Carlos Santana (11)

1B - Edwin Encarnacion (8)

2B - Dustin Pedroia (9)

3B - Miguel Cabrera (1)

SS - Hanley Ramirez (4)

OF - Ryan Braun (7)

OF - Giancarlo Stanton (14)

OF - Shin Soo Choo (24)

Util - Wil Myers (25)

Util - Domonic Brown (28)

BN - Jose Abreu (36)

BN - Matt Adams (44)

BN - Jurickson Profar (48)

BN - Daniel Murphy (49)

BN - Leonys Martin (55)

Football

QB - Tony Romo (39)

RB - Eddie Lacy (5)

RB - Alfred Morris (6)

WR - Jordy Nelson (12)

WR - Anquan Boldin (18)

WR - Torry Smith (23)

TE - Greg Olsen (34)

WRT - CJ Spiller (10)

K - Dan Bailey (59

D - KC Chiefs (60)

BN - Eric Decker (30)

BN - Andre Ellington (45)

BN - Jordan Todman (45)

BN - Deangelo Williams (47)

BN - Kendall Wright (56)

Basketball

PG - Ricky Rubio (13

SG - James Harden (2)

SF - Chandler Parsons (31)

PF - Gordon Heyward (32)

C - Adderson Varejao (33)

PG/SG - DJ Augustine (38)

SF/PF - Taj Gibson (37)

Util - Joel Embiid (35)

Util - Markeef Morris (41)

Util - JJ Reddick (42)

BN - Marcus Smart (46)

BN - Glen Davis (53)

BN - Jodie Meeks (54)

BN - Gary Harris (57)

BN - Kyle Anderson (58)

lol that baseball team is hilarious. you'll destroy there, though I think you might've gotten over-fancy with guys like Myers and Brown. Your advantage in baseball was obviously big enough that you could've stay safe and gotten similar risk/value in later rounds. Then again, if they do hit like they might, you may be able to trade them for guys picked 10 rounds higher in other sports.

Well, Myers is going in the 6th-7th rounds in most baseball drafts this year, and I think his upside is huge this year. Brown's a bit more of a wildcard, but my bench is pretty decent if he falters.

I have the best baseball team by a mile. I think I have a top 3 hockey team. Football is a bit of a wildcard, but anything can happen. With such short benches, there will be some very good players available on the waiver wire if I a active. Basketball I'm pretty much screwed. I'll probably trade James Harden at some point. The good news is that there are 2 other guys who may actually have worse basketball teams than me. Even a 7th or 8th place in basketball would be a bonus, if I can finish well in the other sports.

but I've already got the best QB in the game

Fellow FCP'ers, if you look closely at your program, filling in for Serge in the leading role of "Homer" this week will be our very own Dubey.

Do us proud! :)

The difference is that I know immediately that Dubey is saying that tongue-in-cheek... I'll never be 100% sure with our old pal Serge, no matter how crazy the assertion.

I don't think he is. He loves Romo.

This is pretty awesome.

Check out the huge Atlantic storm right now

http://earth.nullsch...66.58,40.02,386

It was indeed awesome shovelling out 18 inches of snow yesterday. lol, ok it was not bad at all. People were calling it a second White Juan, where we had 200 km/h winds and 88cm of snow in 24 hours. Nothing like that, just a day off in exchange for a few hours of shovelling, thankfully.

NCAA athletes can unionize. Thats a game changer.

Not done yet, but that is huge. Until it gets overturned at a higher court of course, which it no doubt will when ESPN and Coke complain about billions in lost revenues, as if that is actually a problem.

NCAA athletes can unionize. Thats a game changer.

Definitely a game changer and something I will watch closely since this subject intrigues me. IMO some students are being paid since they get full scholarships, and if they are receiving this benefit should they not pay taxes on it?

Definitely a game changer and something I will watch closely since this subject intrigues me. IMO some students are being paid since they get full scholarships, and if they are receiving this benefit should they not pay taxes on it?

Such a complex issue moving forward: how do they decide compensation? Does a star quarterback get the same money as a 3rd string badminton player? And if they are getting paid to play, they should probably pay for their educations. And there's a huge difference between public and private post secondary schools. This one will take a while to figure out. But I think it's high time they get paid.

Such a complex issue moving forward: how do they decide compensation? Does a star quarterback get the same money as a 3rd string badminton player? And if they are getting paid to play, they should probably pay for their educations. And there's a huge difference between public and private post secondary schools. This one will take a while to figure out. But I think it's high time they get paid.

Wish I could find the link, though I didn't realize that a "full scholarship" can mean hugely different things already. A D1 badminton player might get a "full scholarship" worth $8-10k, whereas a top school's "full scholarship" to a football player might be worth $30K. It isn't just extra equipment, travel and training facilities either.

Good point regarding cost of education - presumably the cost of tuition will still be a part of most team's offers, but it's a big number to get by.

Of course its time they get paid. But in the long run, I doubt it'll make the majority of people better off. Plenty of sports will lack for funding, the competitive environment will shrink significantly, lots of athletes who used to get full rides will get less and people will be more willing to give up a quality education for a better monetary offer. Most problematically though, it just turns back the clock on when "money" becomes a motivator. I know kids are recruited and followed at a very young age, but I can only imagine a pay environment ups the intensity on that even more in a way that may well create better athletes, but they'll be closer to gladiators than people - competing at the single thing they are great at, rather than people with an elite skill set.

All that is fair in love and war and the free market of course, just in case I'm not being clear. But if we accept that it is only fair for a big D1 school to pay top high-school recruits the 6 (7?) figures they're really worth, then that is less money to go around (though some of that money will come from bloated salaries and entitlements of course).

Wish I could find the link, though I didn't realize that a "full scholarship" can mean hugely different things already. A D1 badminton player might get a "full scholarship" worth $8-10k, whereas a top school's "full scholarship" to a football player might be worth $30K. It isn't just extra equipment, travel and training facilities either.

Good point regarding cost of education - presumably the cost of tuition will still be a part of most team's offers, but it's a big number to get by.

Of course its time they get paid. But in the long run, I doubt it'll make the majority of people better off. Plenty of sports will lack for funding, the competitive environment will shrink significantly, lots of athletes who used to get full rides will get less and people will be more willing to give up a quality education for a better monetary offer. Most problematically though, it just turns back the clock on when "money" becomes a motivator. I know kids are recruited and followed at a very young age, but I can only imagine a pay environment ups the intensity on that even more in a way that may well create better athletes, but they'll be closer to gladiators than people - competing at the single thing they are great at, rather than people with an elite skill set.

All that is fair in love and war and the free market of course, just in case I'm not being clear. But if we accept that it is only fair for a big D1 school to pay top high-school recruits the 6 (7?) figures they're really worth, then that is less money to go around (though some of that money will come from bloated salaries and entitlements of course).

SO many ins and out of this. One of the biggest possibilities is that this just kills scholarships for fringe sports. Remember, the NCAA had to be MANDATED to offer equal scholarships for women's sports. If this opens up a free market, then you can bet that lacrosse, and badminton, etc, will all see a stop to their funding to create more funding available for the big sports. Interesting, in most pro sports the revenue share number is around 50%. Last year the NCAA Final Four tournament had 841 million in revenue. Just the tournament. The numbers are sick when you extrapolate them across all the schools and all the sports.

There's also a good chance the NCAA spends 100 million on legal fees to keep this tied up in courts tip 2145 A.D.