Off Topic, Kinda.....

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some lighthearted talk here plus this will make sure that I can read this again sometime as it's a good story, at least for me. If it wasnt for posting all those apartment stories I would forget almos

I debated posting this, because I might be overdoing this topic this week, but I made a sort of personal promise to myself that I am going to promote more positivity and try to never be negative or pu

Danny.... Thats a great attitude to have, and you will be amazed at the progress Owen can make with that kind of attitude and persistence on your part. On Feb 4, 2003, the diagnosis I got was that

If Reyes stays healthy and starts running again 60 SB is a given. Plus with the bats hitting behind him he should be in the top 10 for runs scored.

Reyes hasn't stolen 60 since 2007. More importantly, he hasn't stolen 60 on a 162-game basis since 2007 (close in 2008). He will be 31 this year and hasn't had a year where his pace would put him above 40 SB since 2008. A more reasonable estimate over a full season would be 35 or so.

And of course his runs will mostly be determined by his OBP, which has fallen below .353 the last two years, in his age-29 and age-30 years. Considering an injury history, his age, the typical age curve of post-injury speed players passing 30, even a healthy Reyes is a 'dog to hit that number again (which ranked ~40th) last year (ZIPS and other projections have him around .350, as most speed guys don't drop off quite yet, though his injury history is worrisome of course).

The Jays season could go very right or very wrong this year. Encarnacion and Lind were fantastic last year (Lind's numbers really surprised me when I looked back), but they're no lock to repeat. Reyes and Bautista are MVP candidates when healthy, but they're no lock. Lawrie could be a 2-win player or a 6-win player, and just about anywhere in between. Goins will be a shtshow and might actually be below replacement. I'm optimistic on Navarro/Kratz, though at best, they're no better than 2 wins (which is better than Arencibia). Melky and Rasmus are anyone's guess, but really seems like the ceiling is limited.

I'm really concerned about the lack of depth. We basically have no backup IF or OF that would be better than replacement players over a full season, which is astonishingly bad considering our payroll. With Melky and Rasmus we have risky guys with no backup plan, and if anyone in the infield gets injured, there's no full-time players to replace them.

As far as pitching goes, I'm not as worried, mostly because there are less choices. We could have 5 fantastic pitchers if everyone is healthy and pitches towards their career bests. Well, 4 if you don't count Romero. We have half a dozen capable #4-5 starter-types, which is good. Bullpen is weak, but bullpen is so unpredictable that I won't worry much about it. Really hoping we try to convert some of the excess relievers into bullpen arms.

Jeopardy spoiler:

Arthur Chu lost..I am very sad..

THE WHOLE PROCESS OF BUYING A HIUSE IS EFFING STRESSFUL.

making offer on house tomorrow and pray it's accepted because I can't take this crap any longer.

Yeah, but getting it will be awesome! Good luck!

THE WHOLE PROCESS OF BUYING A HIUSE IS EFFING STRESSFUL.

making offer on house tomorrow and pray it's accepted because I can't take this crap any longer.

This is very much the truth. I thought every house in Michigan cost $1, based on the news. Or are you offering at like $0.90?

Kidding, buying a house is stressful as hell. Hope it goes well.

Good luck Steve go with the its meant to be or not meant to be attitude.

Back to Danny G and baseball I am hoping the hitting and pitching can be in unison. I hope its not one of those years we lose 7-6 where we get hitting than lose 1-0 when we get the pitching.

Saying Melky and Rasmus ceiling is limited is ridiculous Rasmus is just starting to get comfortable great article on him last year about the pressures he felt, and Melky had a freaking tumour last year that was slowing him down.

As for the fourth outfielder Gose is really losing prospect status fast. But a fourth outfielder is relatively easy to find.

This is very much the truth. I thought every house in Michigan cost $1, based on the news. Or are you offering at like $0.90?

Kidding, buying a house is stressful as hell. Hope it goes well.

Thx guys. Putting in offer tomorrow.

Metro Detroit has come out of its recession and the real estate market is booming. Prices have gone up a lot in the last 2 years.

Detroit on the other hand still falters. Big issue now is that when Detroit failed the suburbs had fallen so people could leave Detroit and move to suburbs. Now people have nowhere to leave to now that prices went far above what they can afford.

Good luck Steve go with the its meant to be or not meant to be attitude.

Back to Danny G and baseball I am hoping the hitting and pitching can be in unison. I hope its not one of those years we lose 7-6 where we get hitting than lose 1-0 when we get the pitching.

Saying Melky and Rasmus ceiling is limited is ridiculous Rasmus is just starting to get comfortable great article on him last year about the pressures he felt, and Melky had a freaking tumour last year that was slowing him down.

As for the fourth outfielder Gose is really losing prospect status fast. But a fourth outfielder is relatively easy to find.

Rasmus has been feeling those pressures for years. Sure he could be a 40/40 player, based on his earlier numbers, but he doesn't seem to have the head for it. Melky had one really strong year, aided by a high BABIP (and maybe steroids, which, I don't know, maybe a placebo effect). He could be a good player, but isn't going to be much better than a league-average LF, which should be a big offense position.

Gose had a bit of a resurgance, but hasn't really been a top prospect for years. Looks like Sierra may open the season as the 4th OF, which I really like.

Also, if rumours are to be believed that Romero is actually looking decent, that'd be a nice boost. If we can get some stability at the 4th and 5th starter spots, and at least 2 of Morrow/Buehrle/Dickey pitch as they usually do, we could easily push 85 wins and into playoff contention.

Watching Dancing with the Stars. Cheering for Pickering Bad boy Sean Avery.

Just realized he went to Dunbarton High school. It's literally 2 min from my house and My boys will probably go there.

Go Sean Avery.

He is only 33

Mcdonalds tilt story:

They have been promoting this Steak bagel everywhere, i figured I give it a shot...The bagel combo meal comes with hash browns and coffee...its $6.39..I dont drink coffee and I asked for a hot chocolate instead..

She ADDED another $2.59 for the hot chocolate, for a toal of around $9..I said WHAT?? Just substitue the hot chocolate for the coffee...Even then how do you charge me $2.59 for a hot chocolate..Seriously?

I said screw you, just give me the sandwich for $4.39

my 4-sport super draft is tomorrow. I wish I could say I have a well defined strategy going in, but I just haven't had time.

My "rough" plan:

1. first round targets are: Kevin Durant, Lebron james, Kevin Love, Mike Trout, Miggy cabrera

2. Depending on how the draft goes, I am going to "punt" hockey. My reasoning, I think Hockey is going to be the sport where I have very little competitive advantage, I expect some of the others in the pool to feel differently, and be focusing on hockey first and foremost, this should allow me to really press my (percieved) competitive advantage in Baseball and Football. Plus, since the hockey season is so far away, there will be tons of innefficient drafting of hockey players, and I should be able to attack the free agent market closer to the 2014-2015 season. I will only be drafting hockey players when I feel there is a significant value oppurtunity, or if others in the draft are neglecting hockey, I'll switch strategies.

3. If I can get one of the "big three" basketball players in the first round, that should partly negate my lack of basketball knowledge.

That's.. about it. I've got some really rough rankings printed out for hockey, basketball, and football, and some good tiers printed out for baseball.